Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 409382 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #600 on: 23 March, 2015, 03:44:47 pm »
BBC News:
WTF does your new website have so much blank white space and require so much flippin scrolling?

ian

« Reply #601 on: 23 March, 2015, 04:05:06 pm »
Phoned Microsoft because I can't get my exam transcript off the MCP site. Follow the instructions given and get a blank page, so I ask if that's because I'm using Safari. The guy tells me to close Safari and open the page in Internet Explorer - err, I'm using Safari, therefore I'm using a Mac, and internet explorer hasn't been supported on OSX since 2003! And what happened to IE supposedly now being "standards compliant"?

There is a Safari for Widows.

The last laugh will fall on the 'use Internet Exploder' morons in a few months. When it is eol'ed and replaced by a new one that I think is called "Shit".

Nah, they're naming everything after Halo characters because that's like how the kids work. Showing the magnificent corporate brain in action, endless layers of management synaptically forwarding email messages. Either that or they'll spend USD1,000,000 on marketing and focus groups to call it 'Net Discoverer' or something.

Apple killed Safari for Windows back in 2012 on the grounds that it was generally as shit as IE for Mac.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #602 on: 23 March, 2015, 07:15:02 pm »
Microsith!  If I wanted to disable add-ons to improve browser performance would I have installed them in the first place?

Why, no!  No, I would not.

Is there an add-on called "Disable fatuous messages from Microsith"?

At least they don't have the annoying paper clip anymore.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #603 on: 23 March, 2015, 07:48:14 pm »
Don't tell me you don't miss Clippy :o

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #604 on: 24 March, 2015, 10:33:38 am »
Whosr bright idea was it to take a perfectly workable laptop (Intel Core i7, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSHD) and throw in a couple of things that make it an annoyance to use, thus:

1) The new style synaptics pad where the buttons are built into the pad, it just doesn't work, it takes me three goes to recognise a left click, possibly longer, if at all, to recognise a right click!

2) Lets take a fantastic graphics card (Geforce 480M) and make it the SECONDARY graphics card, so that you use the crappy Intel one day to day then have to do some voodoo to be able to watch a mkv file in anything like a normal frame rate.

Bloody idiots!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #605 on: 24 March, 2015, 10:38:16 am »
Phoned Microsoft because I can't get my exam transcript off the MCP site. Follow the instructions given and get a blank page, so I ask if that's because I'm using Safari. The guy tells me to close Safari and open the page in Internet Explorer - err, I'm using Safari, therefore I'm using a Mac, and internet explorer hasn't been supported on OSX since 2003! And what happened to IE supposedly now being "standards compliant"?

There is a Safari for Widows.

The last laugh will fall on the 'use Internet Exploder' morons in a few months. When it is eol'ed and replaced by a new one that I think is called "Shit".

Nah, they're naming everything after Halo characters because that's like how the kids work. Showing the magnificent corporate brain in action, endless layers of management synaptically forwarding email messages. Either that or they'll spend USD1,000,000 on marketing and focus groups to call it 'Net Discoverer' or something.

Apple killed Safari for Windows back in 2012 on the grounds that it was generally as shit as IE for Mac.

Ah, didn't know that about Safari Mac.

And you have conformed, the new Micro$ith Browser will be called "Grunt".
It is simpler than it looks.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #606 on: 24 March, 2015, 10:46:34 pm »

I prefer this one

Chris S

« Reply #607 on: 25 March, 2015, 08:26:09 pm »
I have phones, a tablet, and some mp3 player I got in a Christmas cracker, that'll all connect to my bluetooth speakers, almost without me looking.

Linux? Ah Linux....

Is it an Audio Device? Is it an Audio Sink? (WTF???). Do I need to pair it or not? I assume so, but it makes no difference...

Nope. Bluetooth on recent Linux Desktops is still non-functional.

C'mon linux developer dudes - get with it.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #608 on: 25 March, 2015, 11:02:29 pm »
<Linux spod>

Like, DIY, dude ;)

</Linux spod>

« Reply #609 on: 25 March, 2015, 11:47:44 pm »
I have phones, a tablet, and some mp3 player I got in a Christmas cracker, that'll all connect to my bluetooth speakers, almost without me looking.

Linux? Ah Linux....

Is it an Audio Device? Is it an Audio Sink? (WTF???). Do I need to pair it or not? I assume so, but it makes no difference...

Nope. Bluetooth on recent Linux Desktops is still non-functional.

C'mon linux developer dudes - get with it.

From a cursory search - Bluez installed ?
What flavour of linux  ?
( bluetooth works on android , I'm wondering how they differ..)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #610 on: 26 March, 2015, 12:05:50 am »
Bluetooth was one of Stan's finest moments.  It simply excels at failing to work even by the pitiful standards usually reserved for anything involving wireless communication.  When a given bluetooth pairing works, it's simply to lull you into a false sense of reliability.  While obviously some platforms are more gifted than others, I've yet to meet one that does bluetooth without being frustratingly broken in some way - and I'm including the late lamented Nokia 6310i in that.

I'm sure the basic design spec was "come up with something that makes USB look simple".

Audio on Linux, though?  That makes bluetooth look simple.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #611 on: 26 March, 2015, 12:52:53 am »

:(  I was rather fond of Scribble the origami cat.

I also liked watching Links the cat scratching the side of my screen, tearing up bits of paper, or curling up and going to sleep on the toolbar.  I didn't really use the Microsoft Assistant for actual assistance, mind you.

Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #612 on: 26 March, 2015, 06:54:06 am »
Strava, how hard can it be to get your poxy webby SCIENCE actually to display the comments when I tap "Display all n comments" on a fondleslab?  Rather than coughing up a keyboard and expecting me to start entering a comment of my very own?

Sort it out u muppets!

ian

« Reply #613 on: 26 March, 2015, 09:50:44 am »

:(  I was rather fond of Scribble the origami cat.

I also liked watching Links the cat scratching the side of my screen, tearing up bits of paper, or curling up and going to sleep on the toolbar.  I didn't really use the Microsoft Assistant for actual assistance, mind you.

It's not just me. The search cat was ace.

« Reply #614 on: 29 March, 2015, 10:34:28 am »
Apple Mail is the turd in Apple's pristine lawn of user-friendliness. Basically, it's shit.

Not sure whether it is Apple Mail or Exchange, but mail plays an almost daily game of pretending to work, but not actually talking to the server. The only indication is a suspicious lack of people bothering me. Remedy is force stop. Which means anything I've filed or deleted comes back. Yawn.

Afasoas

« Reply #615 on: 08 April, 2015, 12:25:21 pm »
Powershell.
If the output from:

Code: [Select]
$myAssociativeArray = @()
for ([int]$i=1; $i -lt 4; $i++)
{
    for ([int]$j=11; $j -lt 32; $j=$j+10)
    {
        $myAssociativeArray += ,@($i, $j, [int](($i +1) * $j))
    }
}

foreach ($row in $myAssociativeArray)
{
    write-host "$($row[0]) green frogs, $($row[1]) horny toads & $($row[2]) bottles of beer"
}

looks something like:

1 green frogs, 11 horny toads & 22 bottles of beer
1 green frogs, 21 horny toads & 42 bottles of beer
1 green frogs, 31 horny toads & 62 bottles of beer
2 green frogs, 11 horny toads & 33 bottles of beer
2 green frogs, 21 horny toads & 63 bottles of beer
2 green frogs, 31 horny toads & 93 bottles of beer
3 green frogs, 11 horny toads & 44 bottles of beer
3 green frogs, 21 horny toads & 84 bottles of beer
3 green frogs, 31 horny toads & 124 bottles of beer

what would you expect from..

foreach ($row in ($myAssociativeArray | where-object { $_[2] -eq 124 }))
{
    write-host "$($row[0]) green frogs, $($row[1]) horny toads & $($row[2]) bottles of beer"
}

?

« Reply #616 on: 08 April, 2015, 12:51:21 pm »
Powershell.

?

It would not surprise me in the slightest if it opened the CD tray or remapped the keyboard to Uzbek.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #617 on: 08 April, 2015, 08:18:11 pm »
Powershell.
:
:

3 green frogs, 21 horny toads & 84 bottles of beer
3 green frogs, 31 horny toads & 124 bottles of beer

what would you expect from..

{
}

?

Hmmm, I'd hope to see only those rows where the element at index 2 was 124.  So mebbe the last row?

This suggests that you are either seeing:
a) All rows or
b) Sweet Fanny Adams

*Flips coin*  Probably the latter.   What was the fix?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Afasoas

« Reply #618 on: 09 April, 2015, 08:37:23 am »
The foreach iterates over each item instead of the single row returned from the associative array, thus you get:

3 green frogs, horny toads & bottles of beer
31 green frogs, horny toads & bottles of beer
124 green frogs, horny toads & bottles of beer

So for now I'm using:
{
    if($row[2] -ne 124)
    {
        continue
    }
}

It's actually a Powershell script that reboots all the developer workstations, once over a two week period. Machines are selected from active directory, their host names are hashed and they are then sorted via the hashed key. Machines are then selected for reboot from the list based on the day and week number in the two week cycle. The script ensures more machines are rebooted mid-week and fewer machines are rebooted on a Monday or Friday. Sounds a bit OTT, but I tend to make any changes in Group Policy (e.g. software updates, configuration changes) towards the end of the week so it means a fairly controlled roll out.

« Reply #619 on: 09 April, 2015, 09:53:23 am »
Ah the wonders of powershell.

You have a 2 dimensional array (don't call it myAssociativeArray, that's as confusing as $myInteger = 3.1415) which looks something like:
((1,11,22),(1,21,42)...)
You can think of this as an array of arrays.

You've clearly heard of the "comma trick" as it's in your code - if there's no comma, it's not an array. So (1,2) is an array and (,1) is an array with one element, but (1) is not an array it's a scalar value. Why am I telling you this? Well, your where-object cmdlet, for this data, returns ((3,31,124)) - that's a single array out of your array of arrays. Powershell then treats the foreach as iterating over this as a 1-dimensional array, NOT over the outer array containing a single element that's an array. So $row is no longer a row, it's an integer.

You can see this in action if you change the comparison from "-eq" to "-ne", the results will be all the lines as in your first example bar the last one. In other words it works as expected. Only when there's a single result selected by the filter is there a problem.

The way to fix this is to force powershell to treat the output from where-object as an array even when it thinks it can be flattened:
foreach ($row in @($myAssociativeArray | where-object { $_[2] -eq 124 }))
By the way, I sincerely hope this isn't related to your comment in the other thread about "learning a proper language". Powershell is a steaming pile of dogshit and should only ever be used if you're being forced to.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Afasoas

« Reply #620 on: 09 April, 2015, 12:35:34 pm »
Interesting. I'll try that.

My confusion about associative arrays arises from the "@" symbol, but now I see the difference between:

$myArray1 = "blah", "foo", "bar"
$myArray2 = @("blah", "foo", "bar")
which I presume are effectively the same and

$myHashTable = @{ foo="bar"}
And I realise associative array is a synonym for hash table. Correct me if I'm wrong.

By the way, I sincerely hope this isn't related to your comment in the other thread about "learning a proper language". Powershell is a steaming pile of dogshit and should only ever be used if you're being forced to.

I'm learning C .. albeit slowly. And I've done some rudimentary bits in Ruby but I'm not sure as to whether or not you would call that a proper language :)
I used to despise Powershell but it's actually pretty handy/powerful for domain admin type stuffs. Certainly preferable to VBScript.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #621 on: 09 April, 2015, 01:02:17 pm »
Why can website builders make it so that you can see a website in "mobile mode" on a desktop browser, but not in desktop mode on mobile? Same browser and on a mobile OS that supposed to make it feel like a desktop and even when you tick the "request desktop site". Oh while I'm at it, if you make a mobile version of your site, put some fecking information on it and make it so you can navigate the site.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #622 on: 10 April, 2015, 02:44:18 pm »
iThings, what the fuck have you done with those Hendrix albums?  Give them back immediately, you anbarodivot >:(

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #623 on: 10 April, 2015, 02:47:03 pm »
They set fire to them.  It's what Hendrix would have wanted.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #624 on: 10 April, 2015, 02:59:39 pm »
Bizarrely, Jimi Plays Monterey is not among the missing coz I set the album artist wrong...