Author Topic: Linux .GPX  (Read 1869 times)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Linux .GPX
« on: 29 September, 2009, 05:33:22 pm »
Gahhhhh!

I normally download routes from bike hike into my Garmin Edge 205 as a .tcx file. I have reconstructed a route on bike hike and want to stick this into my Garmin unit but the communicator plugin will not work for the Garmin libraries as I am currently on a Linux computer! I have tried downloading the free (Linux) software from GPSBabel and its not working. Please can someone help me? Is my next step trying to upload the .gpx route into Google maps do you think?

Many thanks (in advance)

Re: Linux .GPX
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2009, 05:35:43 pm »
If it's anything like my Edge 605, I discovered this weekend that all you need to do is save the .gpx file into the GARMIN\GPS folder on the unit and it can then read it.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2009, 05:43:57 pm »
Nope its not like the Edge 605, I discovered this when I was trying to get the DunRun route  downloaded into my 205 unit. Apparently 205 uses .tcx and 605 uses .gpx or is it .crs?

Thanks for replying nutty - I thought I was a gps goddess but this Linux computer has got me flummoxed!

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2009, 07:54:43 pm »
I used to have a 205, but have not used one for a while so this from memory...

Thissite is essentially a front end to GPSBabel which should help you convert the file.

The command to transfer files should look something like this, assuming the file is called foo.gpx:

gpsbabel -w -r -i gpx -f foo.gpx -o garmin -F usb:

The 305 can do routes and courses. Courses are akin to following a breadcrumb trail whilst routes are waypoint to waypoint. Depends which you want, as to how gpsbabel should process waypoint information.

« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2009, 01:01:55 am »
Good luck her_welshness.

I think I gave up in the end with trying to get gpsbabel to talk to my 605 under ubuntu, the "-F USB:" option didn't work as the device wasn't talking USB.

edit:  looking at my scripts I think in the end I needed "-F /dev/ttyUSB0".

inc

« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2009, 11:04:38 am »
Good luck her_welshness.

I think I gave up in the end with trying to get gpsbabel to talk to my 605 under ubuntu, the "-F USB:" option didn't work as the device wasn't talking USB.

edit:  looking at my scripts I think in the end I needed "-F /dev/ttyUSB0".

The USB option works fine but you have to first blacklist the inbuilt Garmin usb/serial kernel module, this also makes the usb available for Qlandkartegt and viking which will both up/download to your Garmin.
Fixing USB permissions for Garmins in GPSBabel.