Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 232102 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #200 on: 29 October, 2012, 02:42:37 pm »
Acid Mothers Temple at Corsica studios, Elephant & Castle, last Monday. Marvellous.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #201 on: 29 October, 2012, 07:07:49 pm »
We went to see Public Service Broadcasting last Thursday at The Lemon Tree.
They were very good :)

Also, we were not the oldest by quite a long way, which was nice.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #202 on: 30 October, 2012, 12:50:12 am »
Lacuna Coil, supported by This Is She, at Koko in Mornington Crescent.

Absolutely amazing performances from both bands. Lacuna Coil were playing the final UK gig of their 15 year anniversary tour and were mindblowingly good.

Also, credit to the sound crew, who were either too new to the business to have lost their hearing, or very dedicated, very skilled or very lucky. Or some combination of all of those. Lacuna Coil have what must be a difficult sound to set up which combines very, very deep bass, two highly distorted guitars, an operatic-style female singer and a metal-screaming male singer.

If it was Art, he has very good hearing, work with him a lot :) Very skilled and dedicated :) Sometimes likes things a bit too loud though. I reckon he forgets that sometimes he has fucking good ear plugs in with a bit too much attenuation lol.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

plug

« Reply #203 on: 02 November, 2012, 09:49:53 am »
Chumbawamba's final (UK) gig at Leeds City Varieties.  A brilliant show in a fantastic, intimate, old-time music hall venue by the masters of political anarcho-folk.  Shame we won't see them again  :'(
All that's left is the release of a CD delayed until the day Maggie dies  :)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #204 on: 02 November, 2012, 10:16:53 am »

Absolutely amazing performances from both bands. Lacuna Coil were playing the final UK gig of their 15 year anniversary tour and were mindblowingly good.

Also, credit to the sound crew, who were either too new to the business to have lost their hearing, or very dedicated, very skilled or very lucky. Or some combination of all of those. Lacuna Coil have what must be a difficult sound to set up which combines very, very deep bass, two highly distorted guitars, an operatic-style female singer and a metal-screaming male singer.

If it was Art, he has very good hearing, work with him a lot :) Very skilled and dedicated :) Sometimes likes things a bit too loud though. I reckon he forgets that sometimes he has fucking good ear plugs in with a bit too much attenuation lol.

Ah, well in that case, please pass on my commendations for setting up the best sound I have heard at a gig in so long that I couldn't actually tell you when I last heard something so well done.

I was wearing EA20s which, now that I read that lubricating them for insertion reduces their effectiveness, are brilliant earplugs.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

LindaG

« Reply #205 on: 02 November, 2012, 11:06:06 pm »
Saint Saviour, tonight at the Georgian Theatre in Stockton.  I'd only ever seen her do a Joy Division cover as part of the film 'Sound It Out'.

There was a bit of Bjork in there, a LOT of Kate Bush, a bit trancey, a bit techno; but that girl can dance.  Balletic, robotic movements that reminded me of Hazel O'Connor in Breaking Glass.

A great night.  I shall listen to her much more now.

She's from Stockton.  Go northern lasses.

Oh, and the cellist was bloody hot.  Yep.  I said cellist.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #206 on: 03 November, 2012, 03:39:54 am »

Ah, well in that case, please pass on my commendations for setting up the best sound I have heard at a gig in so long that I couldn't actually tell you when I last heard something so well done.

I was wearing EA20s which, now that I read that lubricating them for insertion reduces their effectiveness, are brilliant earplugs.
On a side note I may end up being in house engineer for koko
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #207 on: 04 November, 2012, 11:35:28 pm »
Jack White, tonight at the Spa in Brid. 2 hours of how guitar music should be done. Bloody fantastic. Awesome doesn't cover it!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #208 on: 05 November, 2012, 11:31:15 pm »
Christy Moore at York Barbican, my very early birthday present to myself.

It's quite nice to go and see someone who you've quite like for the best part of 20 years and not be disappointed :)  Witty and engaging and a voice that sounds like being wrapped up in a great big warm blanket in front of a roaring fire and getting fed non stop chocolate.  With a bonus accent that always gives me Charlotte-esque *little moments*

He opened with The City of Chicago, which I love.  And did Viva la Quinta Brigada, another of my favourites, because someone in the audience had emailed and rung and written to ask for it as a 50th birthday present for his mam.  And took completely random requests from the audience in remarkably good cheer, altho he did eventually tell someone to feck off.  And did Ride On, which is the song that is the reason that I first encountered his music 20 years ago, and sort of responsible for two previous boyfriends happening.  And Lisdoonvarna in the encore, which I think might be The Law but I enjoyed greatly anyway.

It's still a shit venue, and we probably lowered the average age of those attending somewhat, but it kind of didn't matter.  Good stuff :D

« Reply #209 on: 06 November, 2012, 11:01:42 am »
I saw (surprise, surprise!) Half Man Half Biscuit at the Komedia in Bath. The build up to the gig was excellent as the Lyrics Project people had supplied me with some excellent (& 1 crap) pub recommendations. It's been a while since I sat down & had fish & chips, but very nice it was too.

The gig opened with 27 Yards of Dental Floss, a great track I'd not heard them do live before. What followed was an excellent tight set - well as tight as HMHB gigs get. Plenty of interaction with the audience - including Nigel spotting my Barnstonewoth United top my mate was wearing and quoting the whole team line up mid-gig. My Primark FM shirt got a mention in despatches too. No Harry Quinn, but I won the Garage People Pringles sweepstake with £1.89. A penny out.

A slow walk back to the Travelodge after a brilliant night out, hopefully to be repeated in Bilston next May if not before. My Harry Quinn should be ready by then too.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #210 on: 06 November, 2012, 01:48:40 pm »
Any prizes for guessing the colour?

« Reply #211 on: 06 November, 2012, 02:03:20 pm »
Just got tickets chucked at me and told that I'm taking clients to see Amy McDonald tonight. I have TOTALLY inappropriate footwear on for traipsing around! :)

« Reply #212 on: 06 November, 2012, 02:07:51 pm »
Any prizes for guessing the colour?
Depends...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #213 on: 06 November, 2012, 02:09:15 pm »
The Civil Wars. Last year in Brighton.

Hope that helps.

And now they've just announced they've split up!!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #214 on: 10 November, 2012, 11:36:40 pm »
Thea Gilmore, at the Alban Arena in St Albans. Dull venue, terribly polite audience, freezing cold and truly astonishingly dreadful sound.

But bloody hell, that's a voice. She, and the rest of the band were very very good.

But someone should set The Bear on the sound guy.

« Reply #215 on: 11 November, 2012, 12:04:00 am »
Just back from seeing Amira Medunjanin at a cold and rather sparsely populated St Georges Hall in Liverpool.

She's sings Bosnian Sevdah, a style I've not heard before but it's very romantic & soulful.   She's got a superb voice.

Accompaniment was by the brilliant Bojan Z on piano and Nenad Vasilic on bass.

Edit - review http://www.liverpoolconfidential.co.uk/Entertainment/Music/Amira-Medunjanin-St-Georges-Hall-Concert-Room

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LnZ31Iet3E4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/LnZ31Iet3E4&rel=1</a>
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #216 on: 11 November, 2012, 12:43:50 am »
Redbull Culture Clash on Wednesday. The amount of bass was obscene. Not that I'm biased ;)

Support Equilibrium

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #217 on: 11 November, 2012, 04:41:40 pm »
Joe Jackson at the Cadogan Hall, London on Thursday.

Bloody brilliant

Included Is She Really Going Out With Him? arranged for piano, banjo and tuba.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #218 on: 13 November, 2012, 08:25:10 pm »
Show of Hands , last thursday in Kendal

« Reply #219 on: 15 November, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »
Julian Lloyd Webber and John Lenehan at St Georges Hall Concert Room

A lovely concert in wonderful surroundings. Bach Adagio in G from Cantata BWV156, Debussy Sonata, Fauré Elegy, Delius Sonata,William Lloyd Webber In the Half Light / Nocturne,John Ireland Sonata.

Lloyd Webber was on chatty and humorous form, giving a brief description of each piece, and like everyone else who plays here commenting on the beauty of the hall.  It's a perfect small venue.  The couple next to me were wondering what the quiet tinkling was... the chandelier moving with the air currents.....

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #220 on: 15 November, 2012, 11:29:46 pm »
Not many people there  :o

;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #221 on: 15 November, 2012, 11:41:48 pm »
Not many people there  :o

;)

:)  Actually it was full tonight.  A nice contrast with the Amira gig at the weekend.

« Reply #222 on: 18 November, 2012, 10:32:30 pm »
Puma and Trio vd at the Bishopsgate institute. Puma were intense, they're a sort of experimental jazz-rock sort of outfit from Norway.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #223 on: 20 November, 2012, 01:10:42 am »
Bellowhead in York last friday , Brilliant.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #224 on: 20 November, 2012, 02:10:34 am »
The Lion King last Friday in Bristol.
It is simpler than it looks.