Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 232105 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1425 on: 30 November, 2022, 10:56:08 am »
And last Friday, Oysterband. Who I had never heard of...

Esteemed English Ceilidh band. To my mind not as authentic as a Scottish Ceilidh band...

It is simpler than it looks.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #1426 on: 03 December, 2022, 12:34:29 am »
STEREOLAB

Again. But not again.

A complete revamp from the last tour, stuff I'd never heard, or never heard live.

Like going to see a band you've heard a couple of songs from and finding out their entire back catalogue is just as good. Which it is (they're awesome), they've just never played so freely with their songs before I think.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1427 on: 03 December, 2022, 04:31:49 pm »
Very envious! Was hoping to see Stereolab in London in a couple of weeks but missed out on tickets. They have such a huge back catalogue to pick from, must be a near impossible task to put together a set list. And a lot of their best work is to be found among the obscure B-sides and album tracks.

I first saw them in 1992 when they hadn’t written most of their best tunes yet. Wish I’d made more effort to see them more times over the years since.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1428 on: 04 December, 2022, 12:01:37 am »
nine below zero the other day...

poignant moments were a tribute to Wilko, followed by a tribute to Christine McVie - the need for the latter surprised many attendees, who hadn't heard the news.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1429 on: 04 December, 2022, 12:03:30 am »
Tonight, a 30th anniversary gig for uforb

Dr Alex Patterson in fine, gut shaking form. I'm still going through the photos, but here's one...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1430 on: 04 December, 2022, 12:34:56 am »
Still going through them...

« Reply #1431 on: 04 December, 2022, 08:56:24 am »
Any good?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1432 on: 04 December, 2022, 08:58:31 am »
Actually, yes. Way better than the odd gig at Goods Shed.

« Reply #1433 on: 04 December, 2022, 09:08:10 am »
I can't remember where I last saw them. Have a feeling it was in a marquee in the Crown & Sceptre.  Don't remember if I was at the Goods Shed gig.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1434 on: 04 December, 2022, 07:29:56 pm »
The United Stöats of America (plenty of washboard and fiddle action, plus mandolin and a banjo player who looks like Mark Cavendish if you squint) supporting The Men They Couldn't Hang at Subterania, under the Westway in That London. I first saw them in Battersea Park at a Jobs For A Change festival put on by the GLC.  Those were the days. Last night was brilliant. I may have danced a bit.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1435 on: 07 December, 2022, 08:19:16 pm »

Hur hur hur

« Reply #1436 on: 18 December, 2022, 12:55:34 pm »
A splendid night out at Shepherds Bush to see Fields of the Nephilim last night. Really sociable as well as being really on form musically.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #1437 on: 19 December, 2022, 05:29:12 pm »
An interesting confection in Exeter, including Luke Wright, Bopa Rhys, the Exeter Railway Brass Band, and others.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1438 on: 21 December, 2022, 12:14:54 am »
Spotty oik and guitar-bothering prodigy Toby Lee at the Half Moon in exotic Putney.

Edit: https://www.facebook.com/tobyleeguitar/videos/488076896572392/ – dunno if this’ll work if you ent got an account in Mr Zuckerberg’s Walled Garden, mind.  It's got me in though :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1439 on: 23 December, 2022, 05:58:01 pm »
Almost, Mogwai at the barrowlands - but I had to pass on it due to only just getting over the lurgy, and the fear of picking up something new.  Gutted.   Never having seen them live was something I was really hoping to put right.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1440 on: 23 December, 2022, 06:25:23 pm »
Almost, Mogwai at the barrowlands - but I had to pass on it due to only just getting over the lurgy, and the fear of picking up something new.  Gutted.   Never having seen them live was something I was really hoping to put right.

:(

Saved your ears, thobut.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1441 on: 27 December, 2022, 08:52:04 pm »
And last Friday, Oysterband. Who I had never heard of...

Esteemed English Ceilidh band. To my mind not as authentic as a Scottish Ceilidh band...

Surprised you've never heard of them, one of my favourite bands seen them about a dozen times. Their anti-tory folk rock in 90s was great and influenced bands like the Levellers.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1442 on: 27 December, 2022, 08:59:34 pm »
Started life as an English folk dance band,  rather than a ceilidh band, playing Cornish Reels and Polkas. Some of the original band members were in Fiddler's Dram of "Day Trip to Bangor" fame. Check out the June Tabor/Oysterband collaborations - particularly the cover of "Love Will Tear us Apart" ;)

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1443 on: 28 December, 2022, 11:10:39 pm »
Just remembered - after Fidler's dram they morphed into "The Oyster Ceilidh Band" - even though the rhythms were based on English folk dance.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1444 on: 02 January, 2023, 06:27:44 pm »
Spotty oik and guitar-bothering prodigy Toby Lee at the Half Moon in exotic Putney.

Edit: https://www.facebook.com/tobyleeguitar/videos/488076896572392/ – dunno if this’ll work if you ent got an account in Mr Zuckerberg’s Walled Garden, mind.  It's got me in though :thumbsup:

I knew that name was familiar...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1445 on: 03 January, 2023, 12:00:47 am »
Different guitar to when we saw him.  He had that one on stage but used his '64 Firebird for the whole gig.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1446 on: 20 January, 2023, 11:15:25 pm »
Just in from front and centre for the mighty Half Man Half Biscuit at the 'leccy Ballroom.  Though we had a nice barrier to lean on the efforts of the (unsponsored) mosh pit immediately behind us proved too much for Miss von Brandenburg, who had to be unceremoniously hauled out by the security lads.

Band on top form, drummer Carl Henry has gone all hairy during Teh Plague, new-ish guitarist Karl Benson is a lot more lively than his predecessor Ken Hancock, Neil Crossley confirmed my long-held opinion that he's amazeballs on the bass and NB10 on top sardonic form.  And he broke out the Airstream Caravan guitar for the encores.

Happy now :D

Half Man Half Biscuit, 2023-01-20 by Miss von Brandenburg after she baled out.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1447 on: 21 January, 2023, 10:35:42 am »
You were given plenty of space, hmm?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1448 on: 21 January, 2023, 10:43:14 am »

I knew that name was familiar...

He is coming in March to our venue as a guest of Ana Popovic.

« Reply #1449 on: 21 January, 2023, 11:09:59 am »
Just in from front and centre for the mighty Half Man Half Biscuit at the 'leccy Ballroom.  Though we had a nice barrier to lean on the efforts of the (unsponsored) mosh pit immediately behind us proved too much for Miss von Brandenburg, who had to be unceremoniously hauled out by the security lads.

Band on top form, drummer Carl Henry has gone all hairy during Teh Plague, new-ish guitarist Karl Benson is a lot more lively than his predecessor Ken Hancock, Neil Crossley confirmed my long-held opinion that he's amazeballs on the bass and NB10 on top sardonic form.  And he broke out the Airstream Caravan guitar for the encores.

Happy now :D

Half Man Half Biscuit, 2023-01-20 by Miss von Brandenburg after she baled out.
Did they do It's Clichéd to be Cynical at Christmas?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.