Author Topic: Neuroplasticity, Norman Doidge, woo or woo-hoo! ?  (Read 673 times)

Neuroplasticity, Norman Doidge, woo or woo-hoo! ?
« on: 19 September, 2023, 09:13:20 pm »
I've come across the concept of Neuroplasticity and Norman Doidge the author, which sounds interesting, yet all the stuff I've found about it (articles, vids) leaves me thinking it sounds like woo. Still I may just buy a wobble board for a tenner to see if it assists learning, I'm insufficiently convinced right now, to fork out a lesser sum for his book

Anyone know more about this?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: Neuroplasticity, Norman Doidge, woo or woo-hoo! ?
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2023, 11:41:44 pm »
Doidge seems to think Covid was created deliberately in Wuhan. So he's a covidspiracist.

I'd be wary of any one medic who claims to have TheWonderfulTheoryThatAmazes and is somehow claiming to be unique.

Brains are plastic, neuroplasticity is definitely a thing and we probably don't know enough about it yet, but I suspect this guy is a grifter.

« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2023, 12:04:01 am »
I don't know his stuff but I see he is recommended by Oliver Sacks, or was when Sacks was still alive, and I think he is fairly kosher, isn't he?!  Of course, academics are perfectly capable of thinking a number of impossible things before breakfast.   Think politicians and scientists and atomic weapons.  The trouble may be partly that life is so boring (or desperately difficult) for some people that a conspiracy gives them something to belong to.

« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2023, 07:14:34 am »
I think it is telling that the theories as yet have so little currency.

All the narrative seems to be couched in anecdotal terms, with pseudo science explanations after the fact. Some of that may be down to the requirements and exigencies of leftpondian media to create a newsworthy story, but ultimately his ideas have been around long enough (published 2008, 1,000,000! Copies! Sold!) that others would have picked up on it. If it sounds like woo, smells like woo, and looks like woo......

I don't discount the whole thing yet, the idea that you can exercise your brain is not unique to this approach, and the changes brought about may be too subtle to discern, but a tenner for a wobble board and a few minutes of hilarity that will ensue seems to be the right level, but I might just try standing on one leg and save that £10. (One of his concepts is that challenging your brain with a balance problem puts it into a more receptive learning mode)

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2023, 09:27:31 am »
Movement influencing brain processing is a no-brainer  ;)

Our senses feed the brain with fuzzy analog, brain re-interprets that as 'colour blue' or 'seeing blue, tasting oranges' etc.

The influence of playing a musical instrument on the brain is acknowledged, why not other types of movement?

I know that, before I was diagnosed with vestibular migraines, the physio sessions (which included wobble board exercises) helped keep me going.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2023, 10:05:43 am »
And on cue, this BBC article https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230912-how-i-hacked-my-brain

With what to my mind is a more balanced and informed position, showing where current interest is on the subject

« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2023, 11:44:46 am »
Thanks for that, Ham.  Have to say that, while I found that persuasive, if not exactly surprising, I really hope it doesn't lead to an increase in tambourines.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2023, 03:15:38 pm »
I suspect like many grifters, this one has a grain of truth which he inflates for his own self-interest (money).

I am fairly sure it's widely accepted that brains can learn, improve, heal after damage much more than previously expected but you need to do it carefully and properly. With an actual brain injury, you have to balance little and often push-development with overload and overtiring yourself for example.

And yes, it wouldn't surprise me if most of us have poorer balance than we should cos we walk and stand less than humans are designed for. I know children are struggling with balance development cos they don't get to run around enough and the kind of repetitive play (running in circles, swaying etc) are often things parents shout at them for doing even tho it's natural and good for them/us (https://30seconds.com/mom/tip/25104/Why-Children-Are-Falling-Out-of-Their-Chairs-A-Lesson-in-Proprioception-Vestibular-Senses).

It also wouldn't surprise me if doing specific work to challenge our brains a bit as we age is not bad for us done in moderation and could be positive. I just don't think we need some SaviourGrifter to tell us that...