Author Topic: BHPC racing  (Read 61894 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: BHPC racing
« Reply #400 on: 17 September, 2023, 05:56:50 pm »
I neglected to mention that registrations opened for Betteshanger/Gravesend next weekend.  Registrations are open for Betteshanger/Gravesend next weekend.

Prime opportunity to check out the Betteshanger track and facilities ahead of the Worlds next year.  Or to park in the bushes at Gravesend.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #401 on: 21 September, 2023, 06:25:11 pm »
...Now closed.  But we have an entry for a 6-person cycle at Betteshanger, if they can get it all to fit on the trailer.  Which should raise the Wacky Races factor by an order of magnitude.  Any similarity to the Sprocket Rocket is extremely unlikely.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #402 on: 22 September, 2023, 07:57:44 pm »
I won't be at either this year, just got back from the 'El Tandemista Social Club'  forrin bike and beer adventures in That France, Bit knackered, and things to do. Hope all goes well.  Hope to pop into Hillingdon.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #403 on: 05 October, 2023, 10:08:20 pm »
I forgot to mention that registrations for Hillingdon opened last week.  But they did.  Which means that non-members can also join in the fun from today.

Being the last race meet of the season, this one comes with a bonus AGM and prizes, included the much-coveted award for ruining the most pairs of cycling shorts in a racing season, the one for best repair of a b0rked BHPC trophy and the one for Juniors DNSing due to excessive consumption of BEER the night before (which Twed assures us he would have won in 1976).  All are welcome to attend.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #404 on: 06 October, 2023, 12:33:17 am »
Twed is well-known for telling fibs.  He’s been on at me to write something for the mag about the foundation of the BHPC.  In 1983.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #405 on: 06 October, 2023, 02:31:56 am »
The cable-mismanagement award is where the real action is anyway:  Currently a score draw between Nigel Slee for managing to forget the RFID cables were in his garage before not coming to a race, and Jon Woolrich for mis-wiring some connectors and shorting out the sprint timer on the first test.  My attempt, in the form of a set of XLR-to-16A-Ceeform death-daptors has been disqualified on the basis that they weren't very deadly due to lack of a mains supply.  There's still the possibility of a late entry from barakta, if she manages to somehow lose the e-assist trophy between now and the AGM.  But the smart money's on Slash, for managing to b0rk the gear cable controlling his landing gear at speeds in excess of R17.

« Reply #406 on: 15 October, 2023, 06:49:13 pm »
Pedal cars and a red baron  at hillingdon 😀:D :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/groV1QzB2jVjfD6k8
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #407 on: 15 October, 2023, 06:52:11 pm »
I don't know - overtaking on the inside!  Shouldn't be allowed.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #408 on: 15 October, 2023, 08:04:28 pm »
Got plenty of piccies too but le Rugby takes priority over faffing with cameras and cables.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #409 on: 15 October, 2023, 08:39:26 pm »
Due to assorted Issues, publication of full results will have to wait until I've had enough sleep to be allowed to do arithmetic without adult supervision...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #410 on: 15 October, 2023, 11:54:43 pm »
While doing non-arithmetic-based data-wrangling, in between lots of high-speed footage of  a) knees  b) crotches  and  c) flegs,  I appear to have unearthed a previously undiscovered Tarantino short, Reservoir Stopwatches featuring Mr Larrington and Chairman Al.  I will endeavour to export this cinematic masterpiece after the race results are fully reticulated.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #411 on: 16 October, 2023, 02:45:15 pm »
Splines now fully reticulated, and the results are now available at https://www.bhpc.org.uk/events/2023-2/

« Reply #412 on: 16 October, 2023, 03:26:34 pm »
While doing non-arithmetic-based data-wrangling, in between lots of high-speed footage of  a) knees  b) crotches  and  c) flegs,  I appear to have unearthed a previously undiscovered Tarantino short, Reservoir Stopwatches featuring Mr Larrington and Chairman Al.  I will endeavour to export this cinematic masterpiece after the race results are fully reticulated.

Excellent build-up - can't wait!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #413 on: 16 October, 2023, 04:06:13 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #414 on: 16 October, 2023, 04:20:19 pm »

Excellent build-up - can't wait!

Here we go:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8I5srPIM0fU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8I5srPIM0fU&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/8I5srPIM0fU

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #415 on: 16 October, 2023, 05:56:17 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #416 on: 16 October, 2023, 08:51:18 pm »
Goodness me.......wouldn't want to come face to face with him up an alleyway on a dark foggy night, would you?
Dunno about a Tarantino out take, more like one of the lost CIA Roswell tapes!
Didn't Herman Munster used to walk like that?
 :D
Good to see you again yesterday Dave  ;)
Garry Broad

« Reply #417 on: 16 October, 2023, 09:11:50 pm »
Leon Russell lives!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #418 on: 16 October, 2023, 10:56:21 pm »
RussVision in-bike video of his tussle with Liam Goodman in the first fast race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPZ4YNoNED0

Race 2 to follow when Russ has edited it.

« Reply #419 on: 17 October, 2023, 07:41:07 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPZ4YNoNED0

I wouldn't normally sit through something like that, but I really quite got into it.......over lunch. I became really quite fascinated by it.
Some naive basic questions:

1. The have no mirrors, so does Liam have any idea that Russel is trying to slipstream him immediately after Liam overtakes on the first straight?
Can he hear that might be somebody on his tail? I guess shadows cast from the sunlight might be possible on occasions? BUt he has no way of knowing, right?

2. Given that these 'pods' are built for aerodynamic advantage, is that really much to be gained by getting into the slipstream of the person in front.
There must be some obviously.......but considering Liam wasn't at all bothered about tailing Russel for a lap or two when he easily could have done, I'm assuming not a great deal?

And so the bum-sniffing quest continued for a few laps. But then Steve S came whizzing past, Liam got inspired, jumped on the pedals and dropped Russel. Ok, so Liam has an extra gear. But then Russel ups his pace a tad [or Liam slows a tad] and eventually catches him. And it's all back on. So again, does Liam know he's there once again looking to do the bottom routine? Did he realize he'd dropped him in the first place?
So once more....Russel is content to sit on his wheel. So now what happens? I was waiting for Russel to attack. I sat there thinking, well surely he's going to have a go in a minute or two? Maybe on the penultimate lap? But no. Come the very last lap, Liam ups the pace and buries him good and proper.

I didn't take a great deal of notice on the day, but it's kind of interesting from the cockpit. You really get a sense of it. Made all the more interesting when there's a dual like that going on.

edit: Snoppy - really like the way Russel's made that with the panoramic 'windscreen'. Ideal for filming in too.
Garry Broad

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #420 on: 17 October, 2023, 08:34:15 pm »
I think Liam had a rear-facing camera in the bike, to avoid the aero drag of mirrors.

Streamliners have unusual aerodynamics. There is an argument that, in strong crosswinds, it can be worse to sit in a streamliner's slipstream than to ride in clean air. This is because the lead streamliner influences the apparent wind direction directly behind it, turning a crosswind into more of a headwind. In the low wind conditions on Sunday, there should be a small advantage in sitting behind another streamliner, not that I can feel it at the speeds I race at. You saw Snoopy lapping me many times during that race.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #421 on: 17 October, 2023, 08:40:04 pm »
I think Liam had a rear-facing camera in the bike, to avoid the aero drag of mirrors.

Yep, if you look closely at Notso's tail you can spot a small, slightly darker square thing on the trailing edge of the bike, which is the window for the rear view camera.  I think it’s got mirrors inside too but they're not much use for seeing velomobiles tucked right under the tail.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #422 on: 17 October, 2023, 08:44:02 pm »
PA150310 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Just spotted that Mr Larrington captured this moment, in which I can be seen with a massive grin, as Jemma (who I've been comfortably faster than all season) powers past the pelican of Usual Suspects on account of a Shiny! New! correx fairing that actually works.  I then gave chase, which didn't.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #423 on: 17 October, 2023, 08:57:03 pm »
Streamliners have unusual aerodynamics. There is an argument that, in strong crosswinds, it can be worse to sit in a streamliner's slipstream than to ride in clean air. This is because the lead streamliner influences the apparent wind direction directly behind it, turning a crosswind into more of a headwind. In the low wind conditions on Sunday, there should be a small advantage in sitting behind another streamliner, not that I can feel it at the speeds I race at. You saw Snoopy lapping me many time during that race.

The speeds I race at are a smidge higher, and on the odd occasion I've found myself behind a streamliner of that calibre for more than a nanosecond, the effect has been about 0% of bugger all.

There's a useful hole in the air behind whichever of the Watson contraptions it is that goes slow enough for me to chase.  Some of the less aerodynamic velomobiles can also be drafted, but the effect is small compared to an unfaired machine, and it's not usually a good strategy for me as to do so would be sacrificing my acceleration advantage on a suitable track.

The thing I find really impressive is how little draft I can get from the high-performance handcycles (which go at about the same speed).  It would appear that being *really* low down is also an effective aerodynamic strategy.

« Reply #424 on: 17 October, 2023, 09:18:42 pm »
Yep, if you look closely at Notso's tail you can spot a small, slightly darker square thing on the trailing edge of the bike,
Right. I see it.
Makes sense.
Garry Broad