Author Topic: Ninja 15 in1, 11in1, 9in1 cookers  (Read 3518 times)

Ninja 15 in1, 11in1, 9in1 cookers
« on: 25 December, 2022, 10:58:22 am »
Any good?

Are they worth it over a slow cooker?

Re: Ninja 15 in1, 11in1, 9in1 cookers
« Reply #1 on: 25 December, 2022, 12:03:48 pm »
Ah fuggit, bought one anyway.

This:

https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninja-foodi-max-15-in-1-smartlid-multi-cooker-with-smart-cook-system-7-5l-ol750uk-zidOL750UK

...but from QVC Outlet (so returned goods) for £177 including using a 20% off code.

« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2022, 08:08:08 am »
Cancelled the order when I woke up in the night  ;D

Still curious if anyone has one of these things.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2022, 08:52:42 am »
Nikki OTP has one.  I was tempted a while back but when I thought about the washing-up the music died.  I now have a bog-standard air fryer that mostly comes out for re-heating croissants and stuff wrapped in foil so that it doesn't get dirty.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 26 December, 2022, 09:17:42 am »
It's a pressure cooker/steamer/air fryer/ oven combo thing. I'm wondering whether it's really designed for people who eat shit and can't cook. Know what you mean about the cleaning

Still  wondering 🤔

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2022, 11:12:03 am »
If you look on the air fryer thread there's a lot of discussion on there.

I think they sound really interesting, but I also know that given that I never fry anything, very rarely pressure cook anything and the same for slow cooking, that I'd probably never use it.
Probably the most likely thing I would use such a thing for would be pressure cooking, it's probably more automated than the old school pressure cooker I'm too chicken to use.

Basically I'd need someone to come to my home and demonstrate my recipes for me before I did it.
I'm sure there's stuff I don't make now that I might make if I had such a thing. But would I?
Also second T42's comments on the washing up.

Wait a few months for all the unused ones to turn up cheap on Marketplace or Gumtree  ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 26 December, 2022, 11:39:00 am »
Thanks to mumsnet I've recently discovered you can put cheese toasties in the air fryer, they are amazing, and much less greasy than normal.

Oh-oh
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #7 on: 26 December, 2022, 02:05:23 pm »
Hi Hot Flatus, there's a thread over here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=122453.0 with some relevant stuff here too: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=119528.msg2702024#msg2702024

Nikki OTP has one.  I was tempted a while back but when I thought about the washing-up the music died.

I find the main pot is really easy to wash up (by hand), but the air frying basket is a bit more effort, mostly because of the dark colour making it a bit harder to spot any burned on bits. I can cope with this, but it seems my parents can't so I have to intercept it to make sure it gets done properly. It's still in a lot better condition than pretty much any baking tray in the house! I wipe the heating element area in the crisping lid every so often, the pressure lid can just get dunked.

I'm wondering whether it's really designed for people who eat shit and can't cook.

You can play it either way. Your call!

I was cat-sitting for friends recently and they had a more recent model with the combined lid. I didn't get on with it as well - kept scalding myself opening the lid after anything steamy had been going on.

Thanks to mumsnet I've recently discovered you can put cheese toasties in the air fryer, they are amazing, and much less greasy than normal.

Oh-oh

Oh-oh

« Reply #8 on: 26 December, 2022, 02:09:33 pm »
Thanks Nikki, I'll have a read.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 26 December, 2022, 06:36:49 pm »
We have an Instant Pot that my wife’s friend gave her (because she didn’t use it herself). Currently using it to make chicken stock, using the pressure cooker setting. My wife also uses it to make yogurt sometimes. We’ve had slow-cooked stews etc from it too. The limitations of what you get out of out are mostly determined by the limitations of the person using it.

This model doesn’t have air frying as a feature. But it’s good at what it does.

Main advantage over a stovetop pressure cooker is that it’s automated - press start and forget about it until it’s finished.

Main disadvantage of this particular model is that it’s quite small compared to our standard pressure cooker and slow cooker.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10 on: 27 December, 2022, 12:44:17 pm »
I was researching a 15/11/9 in 1 cooker a few weeks ago but when Dr Beardy mentioned this when nattering with her sister, a single function slow cooker was offered as a Christmas present.

Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, we are now the proud owners of said cookpot, and may instead look to a counter top grilling oven as a method of reducing the vole usage in cooking for two.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 27 December, 2022, 01:32:47 pm »
The chef at the place my son KPs has just bought one for his own personal use and raves about it. Don't know what model but apparently it even spins salad! This is a chef who works in student catering though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12 on: 27 December, 2022, 03:13:21 pm »
The chef at the place my son KPs has just bought one for his own personal use and raves about it. Don't know what model but apparently it even spins salad! This is a chef who works in student catering though.

Ah, that sounds like a Thermomix rather than a Ninja.

Very different beast.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 27 December, 2022, 03:17:11 pm »

Ah, that sounds like a Thermomix rather than a Ninja.

Very different beast.
Oh, is that what a Thermomix is? I only know it as the name given to one of the characters in the Polish versions of Asterix!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 27 December, 2022, 03:18:54 pm »
Boy says it is called a Ninja "12 in 1, or something".

« Reply #15 on: 27 December, 2022, 03:21:52 pm »
A Thermomix is  basically a blender that cooks and stirs. My sister has one, and extols it's virtues but it's also a subscription device. No way would I buy one. Don't think the Ninja can spin salad though, but I could be wrong.

Was speaking to a friend who is a buyer for a major UK department store yesterday and she said she had taken a sample one home. She said that if people are using it to save energy then it is only worth it if cooking for one or two. She didn't seem too enamoured with them.

I think I'll wait until somebody I know has one.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 27 December, 2022, 05:20:21 pm »
A Thermomix is  basically a blender that cooks and stirs.
That's what the name sounds like too.
My sister has one, and extols it's virtues but it's also a subscription device. No way would I buy one.
Subscription device?  :hand:
Don't think the Ninja can spin salad though, but I could be wrong.
Something to do with the steam function operating in reverse or something like that.... could be the chef is over-extolling its virtues.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 27 December, 2022, 08:46:23 pm »
I think my younger daughter has a thermometer, or a cheaper alternative. But she lives in Auckland so I’m not about to try it out.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #18 on: 05 January, 2023, 08:21:09 pm »
I'm interested how this thread works out, I was using my venerable pressure cooker for ox cheeks a couple of days ago, and the Ninja thing occurred to me as something that might be ok, but I remain to be convinced

ian

« Reply #19 on: 31 January, 2023, 09:28:19 pm »
I have one* and I am quite enamoured by it. The air fryer is just a whooshy oven and anyone that tells you that it can make proper chips is not a person you should trust, but it will do faff-free potato wedges and stuff. I probably use the slow cooker and pressure cooker settings most of all. It's handy for oven stuff too, though there's only the two of us. It's not replaced my trusty sauté pan, but it's also handy being about to brown stuff before slow or pressure cooking in the same pot.

The pot comes out and goes in the dishwasher. Wipe the lid occasionally. Job done. Main gripe is that it's not under the extractor hood so steams up the kitchen.

*possibly a byproduct of my radicalised by Mumsnet™ project.