Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 3052692 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #24275 on: 11 November, 2023, 02:37:45 pm »
I am about to venture outside to retrieve said bins.  I they've failed to empty the non-recycleables, and/or failed to return the paper/cardboard pod, I'll have even fewer gruntles...

We have recyclables, non-recyclables and food waste. The council are very keen on the food waste and send out free T shaped towels to people who use them, along with regular exhortations to those who don't.

The man who collects them is less keen. Especially as he has to reverse all the way to the end of the lane where I live to collect mine, and mine alone, cos the neighbours can't be arsed. So, every so often he steals the bin. I get on to the council to send me a new one. Then I get on to the council again as he hasn't come to collect it, cos he stole it and thinks I don't have one. After several rounds of this I've finally joined my neighbours in failing to be arsed any more.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24276 on: 11 November, 2023, 02:43:26 pm »
I finally got the non-recycleables bin emptied this week by dragging it round the corner and hiding it amongst the bins on $perpendicular_road.

Cardboard continues to accumulate, and no sign of a pod, though I disposed of a decent amount last week by trailering it to the tip along with assorted hazmat/e-waste that we aren't supposed to put in the regular bins.

I might admit defeat and stop trying to recycle paper/cardboard.  I've a strong suspicion that they're just burning it anyway.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24277 on: 13 November, 2023, 05:10:58 pm »
Internet connection has been intermittent all day - probably weather-related. Sky, our IP, are reporting "No known issues in your area".

You know why that is, don't you, you fucking fucks? It's because you make it so fucking difficult to get in touch with you to report an actual issue that I know about.

I eventually found the necessary contact details on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #24278 on: 14 November, 2023, 05:05:48 pm »
It’s on a par with the Vodafone checker that says we have a good signal indoors and out. Saturday morning’s power cut demonstrated that to be untrue by displaying a capital E on my phone.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24279 on: 14 November, 2023, 07:09:13 pm »
It’s on a par with the Vodafone checker that says we have a good signal indoors and out. Saturday morning’s power cut demonstrated that to be untrue by displaying a capital E on my phone.

To be fair, that doesn't mean the signal isn't good, just that it's being provided by turn-of-the-century equipment designed with a view to making plain text emails and WAP sites load a bit faster on your Palm III.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24280 on: 29 November, 2023, 04:47:49 pm »
My B-in-L managed to see an oncology surgeon yesterday, only 6 weeks since his positive liver scan. They _might_ be able to do an operation before Christmas, but it’s more likely going to be February. And this is after they ignored/overlooked an abnormal blood test result in June.

Ok, it’s not entirely the fault of the Consultant, because their hands are obviously tied with lack of ancillary staff members and no doubt an excessively large list of their own to manage. But I’m sure there’s room for some efficiency savings.

Cancer is a big enough bastard on its own, but the government are even bigger bastards for their cynical defunding and dismantlement of the NHS.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24281 on: 04 December, 2023, 11:26:24 am »
I've just been spammed on fucking Xitter by head Biffer and friend of the potato Paul Fucking Golding >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #24282 on: 05 December, 2023, 09:11:09 am »
I've just been spammed on fucking Xitter by head Biffer and friend of the potato Paul Fucking Golding >:(
'Xitter '? Rhythms with 'shitter'?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24283 on: 05 December, 2023, 09:24:36 am »
'Xitter '? Rhythms with 'shitter'?

Indeed.  This being where it’s been heading since Space Karen took over.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #24284 on: 08 December, 2023, 03:53:04 pm »
Dealing with [local government department] about [thing]. Makes JobCentre Plus look like a marvel of customer-centred communicability. I am being lied to by updates to the online application form. Miraculously it has changed back (I have printouts) and the case reopened without anybody actually replying to me.

I am furious -- angriest I've been in 2023, by several systolic PSI. I would swear a lot but I'm in the office, so this is all the catharsis I can get. Bah.

On edit: they've now closed the case again, with an actual email, to me, directly contradicting the process published on the website, and what everyone else involves believes to be the process, too. [steam-from-ears-emoji]
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #24285 on: 09 December, 2023, 03:20:31 pm »
Ombudsman, they can't ignore that! However you will have to go through the formal complaint process first.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #24286 on: 09 December, 2023, 03:28:42 pm »
Ombudsman, they can't ignore that! However you will have to go through the formal complaint process first.

They won’t need to ignore it, the Ombudsman will take years to address the issue  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #24287 on: 09 December, 2023, 03:29:46 pm »
The Halifax have decided to make life even more difficult for some. Having recently closed the local branch they have now written to my wife informing her that pass books are no longer to be used from next Feb. Given that she has very limited eyesight a wallet friendly card is as much use as a chocolate tea pot, as is on line services which she cannot see. This also tells me that their intention is to ultimately close all of their branches at some future date.

« Reply #24288 on: 09 December, 2023, 03:30:19 pm »

They won’t need to ignore it, the Ombudsman will take years to address the issue  >:(
IME the Ombudsman service is very good.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24289 on: 09 December, 2023, 05:51:18 pm »
The Halifax have decided to make life even more difficult for some. Having recently closed the local branch they have now written to my wife informing her that pass books are no longer to be used from next Feb. Given that she has very limited eyesight a wallet friendly card is as much use as a chocolate tea pot, as is on line services which she cannot see. This also tells me that their intention is to ultimately close all of their branches at some future date.
Yorkshire Building society, if you have a branch local to you. They withdrew all their cards and issued us with a passbook for our savings account. We can do stuff on line, but if we want actual cash we have to go into a branch with our passbook.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #24290 on: 09 December, 2023, 06:48:29 pm »

IME the Ombudsman service is very good.
Obviously I'd rather they just did it properly. Preferably in the next two weeks. I found out last night that they are subject to a binding statutory code and timetable for this, which they are already in breach of, but in reaction to yesterday's sheer fury I'm feeling too fragile to read it and draft my letter-with-numbered-paragraphs. Today has been a bit shit.

(I do like a nice numbered letter. Maybe it's superstitious of me, or maybe it helps keep the drafting tight, or maybe it's actually sufficiently intimidating that the recipients read it properly, but they seem to get results.)
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #24291 on: 10 December, 2023, 07:36:55 pm »
Signor Campagnolo, your shifters are undoubtedly things of beauty. But shifters are meant to shift, and when their operation is critically dependent on one screw being tight, and said screw being deep within the shifting mechanism and held only by a dab of threadlock on a few turns of thread, is it any wonder that it should shake loose and the shifters fail to shift after a few months of Gloucestershire road surfaces. It does admittedly, only take seconds to retighten the screw. But to remove the shifter, disassemble it, reassemble it and then fit it back on the bike requires at least an afternoon.

« Reply #24292 on: 28 December, 2023, 09:58:23 am »
ITV X = a steaming pool of monkey jissom. That is all.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24293 on: 28 December, 2023, 10:17:38 am »
ITV X = a steaming pool of monkey jissom. That is all.
At least it includes subtitles these days.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24294 on: 28 December, 2023, 11:02:14 am »
Bah. Do the egregious crunts who flog overshoes think that cyclists never put a foot down when they stop, or do they just think we never stop tout court?  DHB covers that I used for the first time in November already have a hole in the toe that I can put my thumb through.

Basturds.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24295 on: 28 December, 2023, 01:28:53 pm »
Bah. Do the egregious crunts who flog overshoes think that cyclists never put a foot down when they stop, or do they just think we never stop tout court?  DHB covers that I used for the first time in November already have a hole in the toe that I can put my thumb through.

Normal for overshoes, shirley?  Wearing socks outside your shoes was always going to be a daft idea, and in most circumstances they're an inferior solution to weather-appropriate shoes.

(Disclaimer:  I own some overshoes.  They last about three rides.  As such, they only come out for things like audaxes where it's too cold for sandals, but only planning to rain for the first hour or so.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24296 on: 28 December, 2023, 03:25:31 pm »

Normal for overshoes, shirley?  Wearing socks outside your shoes was always going to be a daft idea, and in most circumstances they're an inferior solution to weather-appropriate shoes.

(Disclaimer:  I own some overshoes.  They last about three rides.  As such, they only come out for things like audaxes where it's too cold for sandals, but only planning to rain for the first hour or so.)

When the things come with what looks & feels like a tough rubberized quarter-sole under the toe you'd expect it to be intended for contact with tarmac. Nah, it's just intended to make you think that.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24297 on: 28 December, 2023, 03:47:16 pm »

When the things come with what looks & feels like a tough rubberized quarter-sole under the toe you'd expect it to be intended for contact with tarmac. Nah, it's just intended to make you think that.
BITD Mike Dyason (I think) did cheap, like around a tenner, neoprene overshoes. Sure they wore out, lasting one winter,but at that price could be considered as disposable.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24298 on: 28 December, 2023, 04:17:55 pm »

BITD Mike Dyason (I think) did cheap, like around a tenner, neoprene overshoes. Sure they wore out, lasting one winter,but at that price could be considered as disposable.

One winter would be fine, but 10 rides?

Anyway, next pair are getting a good coat of Shoe Goo before use.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24299 on: 03 January, 2024, 03:58:39 pm »
Just went out to check one of our SIDs out, and get the data off the other. (Speed Indication Devices - smile or frown at cars drivers depending on how fast they are going.

The first device has had a bad Christmas and refuses to do anything. Time for an engineer.
I started getting the data off the second one. It takes ages and is temperamental, as you have to log onto the machine and access its internal web interface to initiate the very slow downloads. It started raining  >:( >:( >:(
It is simpler than it looks.