Author Topic: Formatting hard disc and reinstalling OS: queries  (Read 1141 times)

Formatting hard disc and reinstalling OS: queries
« on: 10 July, 2008, 05:58:12 pm »
OK, when my external drive arrives I'll be saving what I can and reinstalling XP. I hope...

What are useful things to save aside from the contents of my documents? I intend to note my internet connection settings, but what else might be useful? My contacts and calendar are OK as they are also at work. For instance, there will be a billion Windows updates and so forth to install - can I save these instead or is it better just to bite the bullet and download it all afresh? 

Craig

Re: Formatting hard disc and reinstalling OS: queries
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2008, 06:35:31 pm »
Any stored email to save? And bookmarks etc.

If you get the latest XP Service Pack (SP3) it will save on having to download and install all of the updates individually.
It is possible to 'slipstream' the service pack with your XP disc so it is installed at the same time, though its possibly a bit complicated. There's plenty of guides of how to do this, for example: How to Slipstream Windows XP Service Pack 3 to Create an Integrated XP Setup Disk with SP 3 (howtohaven.com)

« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2008, 08:22:41 pm »
Thanks Craig.

I suspect "slipstreaming" is beyond my abilities, but I'll have a look.

Fortunately despite some problems with Windows itself (it seems unable to copy files to any other drive), I seem to be able to burn all the files I want to save to DVD ok.

Email is fine - I use Thunderbird for Gmail so that's not a problem.

My main worry now is getting my internet access back up again. I'd like to be able to avoid having to run any of the ISP's bloatware and just set up a connection myself.

« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2008, 08:29:41 pm »
All done. That was fairly painless, if a little time consuming. You don't realise how much stuff you have installed until you have to do it all over again...

Thanks to all for the advice, especially Tokamak.  :)

The only thing I am having trouble with is getting Firefox 3 to look as it did before - at the moment it is taking up far too much screen space with empty toolbars etc.

Oh and I didn't need to do anything about internet access: it's just there.  ???

gonzo

« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »
Sorry, I missed this thread, but have been re-formatting lots recently.

My best tip is to download a virus checker or have one on disc before re-formatting. This lets you get secure before you connect to the internet.