Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 513838 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Gosh. After many years of them being completely off my menu, I have rediscovered baked beans.
Sausage and beans.  What a fantastic breakfast.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Hooray.  It's Tuesday, so the fresh fish man cometh.
Double hooray.  The first of this year's mackerel have been landed.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/mojo-picon

I made a batch of this last week,  I used 2 supermarket chillies & 1 dried Spanish chilli,  agridulce paprika & sherry vinegar came from the local Spanish deli.

Very pleasant, though not really hot enough for my preference.  I might try a couple of Scotch bonnets for the next batch.  I cheated as well & used a blender, life is too short for manual labour.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
We visited a local small farm that was having an open day, and picked up some produce from their 'shop' - basically a display cabinet in the car park by the entrance - including some kohlrabi. The farmer was enthusing about it, so it had to be done, out of politeness if nothing else. No idea what to do with it though. Had a look in Jane Grigson's veg book, but she's a bit disparaging and I didn't fancy any of her desultory recipes. Hugh FW has a recipe for kohlrabi 'carpaccio' that looks tempting - one to try another day, I reckon. Ended up doing this:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/peppery-kohlrabi-slaw

Can't stand Tom Kerridge, but this really is a fab recipe. Crunchy, tangy, peppery, delicious! Not entirely sure how much the kohlrabi contributes to it beyond a bit of texture, but at least I've been able to use it up. Served it to accompany some roasted chicken thighs. Very good. Reminded me a bit of remoulade, which is no bad thing - you could probably use kohlrabi interchangeably with celeriac.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

I don't think I've ever seen kohlrabi in the UK (no idea why, it'll obviously grow here, it's just fat broccoli), though it's ubiquitous in the US (and parts of mainland Europe). I quite like it (and that recipe sounds nice), but I'm a big fan of the brassicas. I can't and won't eat celeriac, which is a good outcome from everyone.

citoyen

I don't think I've ever seen kohlrabi in the UK (no idea why, it'll obviously grow here, it's just fat broccoli), though it's ubiquitous in the US (and parts of mainland Europe). I quite like it (and that recipe sounds nice), but I'm a big fan of the brassicas. I can't and won't eat celeriac, which is a good outcome from everyone.

This is what Jane Grigson says: "We have adopted rather than translated the German name, which indicates a lack of warmth on our part. No doubt we thought there was enough turnip flavour in our winter diet already".

She's really quite damning-with-faint-praise about it. "There are better vegetables than kohlrabi. And worse. I am thinking in particular of winter turnip and swede; certainly kohlrabi is a pleasant alternative to that grim pair."

Oof!

ian

I have to agree with her on fat turnip (this is what I call it, the little purple ones are fine) and swede, they're a bland admonishment to any meal.

I always liked kohlrabi though, but then I eat all my broccoli stems (finely sliced, they saute like cabbage, or you use them raw in a salad).

citoyen

Yes, realising that the stems are the best bit completely changed my relationship with broccoli.

I'm starting to think that buying a breadmaker was a _bad_ idea.   My waistline is not going to thank me.....  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Smith suffers from an allergy to eggs which although inconvenient means I am in charge of them.

Except when he goes through a phase of making almond flour omlettes which apparently don't trigger the vomiting, diarhhoea shits and hives.

He doesn't seem to be aware of FIFO though so now I've had to make mayo with old eggs and it's rubbish.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It would appear that Sainsbury's 'Lemon & Coriander' humous is the 'plain' dip, rebadged.

Yes, realising that the stems are the best bit completely changed my relationship with broccoli.

First cam across that on KEn Hom's Chinese cookery series.  Which reminds me, I must do stir fried cucumber again soon.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

I’m new to black garlic: just how squishy is it meant to be? Mine is so soft that I am not entirely sure how to extract the cloves - slice a clean cut through the end and squeeze it out?

Also, it smells vaguely of piss. Is this typical?

Or should I just compost this already?

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
I’m new to black garlic: just how squishy is it meant to be? Mine is so soft that I am not entirely sure how to extract the cloves - slice a clean cut through the end and squeeze it out?

Yes, it's very squishy and hard to peel. I generally slip a knife between the clove and the skin and get as much away from the clove as I can before peeling the rest off. It should smell slightly sweet and funky, almost as if marmalade has been left too long. It has a molasses+balsamic+white truffle quality to it.

It is not as potent a flavour as I wanted, but I still like it for risottos, which is about the only dish that doesn't overwhelm the flavour (but don't bother if you're also using saffron). And it's an interesting addition to garlic bread.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

citoyen

Black garlic is one of those things I'm aware of but have never tried. Sounds intriguing. "Smells vaguely of piss" isn't really selling it to me, but then again I can think of a few cheeses I like that also fit that description.

ian

It's one of those things that mostly only whelms, for all the faff it's mostly a mild version of garlic. I have mostly just squished it out. I'm not aware of it smelling like piss, but smell is subjective. More of a sweetish, vaguely garlicky smell. I mostly don't bother, if I want garlic, I'll use the proper vampire-dispelling stuff.

ravenbait

I make a vegan risotto with black garlic and truffle oil that's really very nice, especially if you're not vegan and can have it with crispy-skinned salmon.

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Yes, it's very squishy and hard to peel. I generally slip a knife between the clove and the skin and get as much away from the clove as I can before peeling the rest off. It should smell slightly sweet and funky, almost as if marmalade has been left too long. It has a molasses+balsamic+white truffle quality to it.

It is not as potent a flavour as I wanted, but I still like it for risottos, which is about the only dish that doesn't overwhelm the flavour (but don't bother if you're also using saffron). And it's an interesting addition to garlic bread.

Sam

Thanks for that, Sam.

I’m going to use it for this:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jun/19/lentil-stuffed-onions-cauliflower-black-garlic-yoghurt-nik-sharma-recipes

"Smells vaguely of piss"

I have re-smelled it. Balsamic, as Ravenbait put it, rings true. Slightly resinous, but sweet too.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Ate a chunk of well-aged Munster after dinner last night.  I've cleaned my teeth a couple of times since but I can still taste it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ravenbait

I’m going to use it for this:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jun/19/lentil-stuffed-onions-cauliflower-black-garlic-yoghurt-nik-sharma-recipes

Looks interesting. I think the sharpness of the yoghurt would relegate the black garlic to a vague sweetness, for which I suspect I'd rather use pomegranate molasses, black garlic being expensive enough and hard enough to find round these parts that I like to make a feature of it. Also, I don't like crispy cauliflower, and think roasting it is an over-rated method of preparation. However, please do report back.

Sam

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star

I always liked kohlrabi though, but then I eat all my broccoli stems (finely sliced, they saute like cabbage, or you use them raw in a salad).

Only ever had the stems in stir fries and never had kohlrabi will try it tho.

Broccoli is horrible when over cooked but when cooked to be still crunchy, tastes great.

Only ever had the stems in stir fries and never had kohlrabi will try it tho.

Broccoli is horrible when over cooked but when cooked to be still crunchy, tastes great.

Anything that can be eaten raw just needs warming through, not have the goodness boiled out (yes Mum you! GRHS)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I mostly microwave vegetables in a lidded Pyrex bowl. 'Hard' vegetables get about 9 minutes on full (2 people, 700W). I put the broccoli in for the last 4 minutes. Comes out soft but not sloppy.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Opening the microwave while it's still stinking of broccoli is one of my less-preferred experiences.  Funny: when my dad grew broccoli, back in N.I., I loved the stuff. He had purple-sprouting and white-sprouting, and I enjoyed the white the most.  For the last 40-odd years all we see is green, and it tastes like shit.

Mind you, my mum used to cook it slowly until soft and toss it in butter. Probably makes a difference.  I used to love green beans cooked slowly in butter with lardons, onions & garlic.  Zapped in a microwave and plonked down on the table still screaming they're vile.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight