Author Topic: Fuul/Ful/Foul  (Read 2139 times)

Fuul/Ful/Foul
« on: 05 March, 2023, 03:28:33 pm »
I'd forgotten how much I like ful...the ubiquitous bean breakfast stew/soup found in the eastern side of Africa, from Egypt down to Somalia.

Had a night out in Bristol and found a great little Egyptian cafe at the southern end of the infamous Stapleton Road. We had a meal of falafel, ful, hummus and Koshari, the Egyptian pasta, rice and lentil Street food. It was beautifully fresh and clean.

Then this morning we breakfasted in a scruffy looking Somali cafe and had Somali ful and anejo pancakes. It was stunning, with lime juice sprinkled on top.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Fuul/Ful/Foul
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2023, 10:17:16 pm »
You've got some weird-looking fellow diners.

SO makes all kind of vegan Moroccan stuff like that.  Some is great, some rather acidic to my tastes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2023, 06:24:02 am »
Moroccan's have their own variety called Bessara, but this Somalian stuff was the nicest I've tried.

« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2023, 01:25:32 pm »
You've got some weird-looking fellow diners.

There's an Ed McLachan cartoon from the late 60s that springs to mind.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2023, 05:42:41 pm »
Like you, I've forgotten about fuul but this post reminds me of the dish. I had so much of that when I was in Syria. 😋

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #5 on: 06 March, 2023, 06:06:06 pm »
Honestly though this Somali shit knocks the ball not only out of the park, but also out of the fuken stratosphere. It was a bit like dal makhani but without all the fat, and with line juice.

Guess where I am having breakfast next Sunday...

« Reply #6 on: 06 March, 2023, 07:05:37 pm »
Stapleton Road is within walking distance of Eminor's gaff (he lives in a repurposed reefer, on an industrial estate, 'cos he's channelling Tortilla Flat. He's also as stingy as his Grandfather... he's sub let his share of a house).
We usually go to Bakehouse, round the corner, but the Somali place could be woth a try.

Details, please! DM if you prefer.

« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2023, 07:14:10 pm »
It's  called Star Coffee.

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LqhF7bFu5kWvjG67A

It's got a very limited menu, so I'd recommend it just for brekkie, because I think it really is just a breakfast spot, and a little...ermm...basic in it's decor. A bit of googling suggests there are some other Somali places nearby with a more expansive menu.

If you want a more salubrious setting, the Egyptian place called El Masri, just about 6 doors down, is very good.

« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2023, 08:28:16 pm »
It's  called Star Coffee.

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LqhF7bFu5kWvjG67A

It's got a very limited menu, so I'd recommend it just for brekkie, because I think it really is just a breakfast spot, and a little...ermm...basic in it's decor. A bit of googling suggests there are some other Somali places nearby with a more expansive menu.

If you want a more salubrious setting, the Egyptian place called El Masri, just about 6 doors down, is very good.

Thank you very much. I've noted it.

« Reply #10 on: 06 March, 2023, 08:37:06 pm »
Welcome. Let me know how you get on, or if you try some of the other local spots please

« Reply #11 on: 06 March, 2023, 10:14:51 pm »
Welcome. Let me know how you get on, or if you try some of the other local spots please

OK :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 07 March, 2023, 09:53:32 am »
"The infamous Stapleton Road" has Bristol's best samosas at one end, the Bike Project in the middle and now Flatus's favourite Somali cafe at the other end! But still it has to live down being mentioned by Sajid Javid!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.