Author Topic: No Sycamore Gap anymore  (Read 6951 times)

Re: No Sycamore Gap anymore
« Reply #100 on: 16 May, 2024, 08:44:12 am »
I’ve just read that - according to the BBC - the damage to the tree has been “calculated” at over £622,000   :o   :o

That seems totally ludicrous.

It was more than just a tree though. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #101 on: 16 May, 2024, 08:51:10 am »
The report I read stated that its value was calculated with some agreed upon algorithm for valuing significant trees which, amongst other aspects, takes into account such arcane factors as its tourist value to the local economy.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #102 on: 16 May, 2024, 09:16:09 am »
Surely they were going to see the wall, not the tree. Or is this its Instagram value?

« Reply #103 on: 16 May, 2024, 09:16:21 am »
I’ve just read that - according to the BBC - the damage to the tree has been “calculated” at over £622,000   :o   :o

That seems totally ludicrous.

It was more than just a tree though.

Yep, the wall damage stood at about £1200.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #104 on: 16 May, 2024, 09:19:56 am »
The report I read stated that its value was calculated with some agreed upon algorithm for valuing significant trees which, amongst other aspects, takes into account such arcane factors as its tourist value to the local economy.

What the BBC wrote, in it's highest journalistic standards, was that in court documents "Harm to the tree has been valued at £622,191,".

Which is b*llocks of course.  Your explanation makes more sense but did it take into account the huge surge in recent tourism to view the gap left and the stump?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #105 on: 16 May, 2024, 10:17:24 am »
So the culprits should bill the state for their enterprise in destroying the tree and thereby growing the local economy possibly over time by millions of pounds? An achievement also qualifying them for membership of the Liz Truss Pro-Growth Coalition.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #106 on: 16 May, 2024, 01:13:15 pm »
Costs in lack of tourism, loss of wildlife and biodiversity, ect, etc, and so on, would be consequential to harm the tree and associated with it as an externality. So, harm to the tree cost that amount.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.