Author Topic: Time Pedals On...  (Read 1399 times)

Time Pedals On...
« on: 08 March, 2009, 09:30:51 pm »
.......and means that it is time I hung up my (fixed) wheels. I'm finding fixed (or rather one gear ratio - the "fixed" bit itself is no problem!) increasingly hard going and thus increasingly less fun - and I cycle for FUN! As I recall, the French Tour founder reckoned variable gears were only for the over 45s - well, I'm comfortably in that category (tho' comfortably the wrong word!) so not feeling too much of a big girl's blouse so to speak.

I know many fix on much older than I, but I'm not the fittest chap on the street and I guess the 30 or so years that I never turned a pedal (and an admittedly less than careful life style) ain't helped.

It's been a great pleasure watching the increasing popularity of fixed over last few years and it certainly helped me keep what fitness I do have (especially in bad weather!). 

Anyone interested, my Tricross and Langster will shortly be appearing on the market. Neither will be rock-bottom prices but each will come with two sets of wheels and have been very well cared for. Both 54s.

Keep on fixing folk!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Time Pedals On...
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2009, 09:32:50 pm »
You need a Sturmey-Archer S3X, when it goes into production.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2009, 09:35:12 pm »
By then I'll be dead!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2009, 09:46:35 pm »
There's always an ASC, but they're about £200, they come in silly drillings, the alloy shells are frequently cracked round the spoke holes, you have to get the special shifter too (normal SA 3-speed shifters have a different cable pull) and they're supposed to be disappointing to use, with loads of slop between driving and braking.

Look at the Igleheart bike here and you might want an S3X though:

Sunrace Sturmey Archer News

Should be available this month.  The Taiwanese tend to get round to doing things.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.