Author Topic: Where should Kirst and I go touring?  (Read 13866 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Where should Kirst and I go touring?
« Reply #25 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:02:34 am »
I quite like the idea of Slovakia or France, less keen on Germany. I quite fancy Scandinavia, but I know it's pricey. I wonder if there's a flat route round Greece or Italy?   :D France appeals because of the cheese, the wine, I can speak a bit of the language, and the travelling times to and from won't be soul-destroying.

Early September is my favourite time to go on holiday because I hate having a summer holiday early and then having the rest of the summer to get through, plus it's usually a bit cooler than the height of Greek summer, and cheaper and less busy because the schools are back. But my summer holidays are generally Greek beach holidays, not cycling around holidays.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #26 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:15:21 am »
There's a huge flat plain in the north of Italy but I don't really recommend it because we've been twice and found it really hard to find quiet routes - and Italian drivers pass you pretty close. My memory is mainly of lorries grazing my left ear. But someone else might know of some decent routes!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:21:06 am »
Austria has great scenery and is flat unless you seek out the actual Alpine roads (continental roads aren't actually as steep as ours anyway - they tend to do more engineering).  Most of the roads follow glacial valleys and the towns are all on the flat bits.  Pretty much everyone speaks English, and will switch to it when you try out your pidgin German because, however good your accent, Austrians don't normally speak what they call "High German".

They seem reasonably bike-friendly and you can get bikes on trains with no problems.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #28 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:26:40 am »
My German is worse than pidgin. It's pretty much auf wiedersehn, rathaus, krankenwagen, krankenschwester, Lumpi ist mein hund, wir haben den Krieg gewannen, vorsprung durch technik, ein Doppelzimmer bitte.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #29 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:29:34 am »
Mine is worse, consisting of Englander schwein, Gott im Himmel!, Hande hoch and Aieeeee!.  Warlord comic has a lot to answer for.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #30 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:32:17 am »
Oh, and "hilfe, hilfe!" which might come in useful.

A friend of mine told me the German for "never mind" was neder minden and I believed her and couldn't understand why the German teacher wouldn't allow it.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #31 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:34:10 am »
...Lumpi ist mein hund...

And Lieselotte has broken her leg.  Whilst collecting mushrooms, I seem to remember?

I'd go to Scotland, but that makes less sense for you probably.  Next choice would be France, round the Gironde and Dordogne because I lived there for a while but have never cycled there and I haven't been for years and years and years.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #32 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:35:24 am »
Belgium and the Netherlands; easy to get to, chocolate, flat (unless you go to the Ardennes), chocolate, mainly excellent routing system (Knoppunt), chocolate, off road (canal towpaths) and quiet road routes everywhere, chocolate, frites and mayo, chocolate and that about covers it.

Not so good if either of you is a vegetarian, the Belgians put meat in everything.

Did I mention chocolate?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #33 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:43:12 am »
...Lumpi ist mein hund...

And Lieselotte has broken her leg.  Whilst collecting mushrooms, I seem to remember?

You must have paid more attention than I did. I remember Lieselotte and did she have a brother called Hans?

When we were discussing France yesterday I got quite excited about the possibility of La Rochelle because il y a un tour en La Rochelle and we could visit the Bertrand family. Bobb didn't use Tricolore though so he had no idea what I was talking about.

Belgium and the Netherlands; easy to get to, chocolate, flat (unless you go to the Ardennes), chocolate, mainly excellent routing system (Knoppunt), chocolate, off road (canal towpaths) and quiet road routes everywhere, chocolate, frites and mayo, chocolate and that about covers it.

Not so good if either of you is a vegetarian, the Belgians put meat in everything.

Did I mention chocolate?

I'm veggie, so France, Belgium and Germany would probably all present problems. But it would be an experiment to see if I could live on cheese for 2 weeks. I've lived on cheese for 2 days and all that happened was yellow poo, but 2 weeks is a more serious commitment. I'd give it a go though.

« Reply #34 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:43:21 am »
My German is worse than pidgin. It's pretty much auf wiedersehn, rathaus, krankenwagen, krankenschwester, Lumpi ist mein hund, wir haben den Krieg gewannen, vorsprung durch technik, ein Doppelzimmer bitte.

So;

"Goodbye, city hall, ambulance, nurse, Lumpkins is my dog, we have won the war, by projection technique, a double room, please".

Better German than me then. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #35 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:45:02 am »
How important is the 'flat' bit? Round lake Como/ Lecco etc is great for cycling. But not flat.

One downside of flat areas is the number of mozzies, in France and Italy anyway. Flat = swampy.

And ha, yes, La Rochelle. It IS nice there. You could just ride round and round the Ile de Re for a week.

« Reply #36 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:47:52 am »
Oh yes -- foodwise, Italy's your best bet. Lots of veggie pasta and salads. And cheap, cause you're effectively only ordering a first course! France is getting better, and there's always an omelette... Germany is good in the cities, impossible outside. Well, not impossible, obviously - just limited.

« Reply #37 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:48:58 am »
And actually, our first ever tour as a couple was near York and there are big flat bits - we rode on flat roads for days. And veg food is easy. But I can't guarantee the weather!

Right, I'll shut up, off out now...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #38 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:54:47 am »
And actually, our first ever tour as a couple was near York and there are big flat bits - we rode on flat roads for days. And veg food is easy. But I can't guarantee the weather!

Right, I'll shut up, off out now...

And you could pop in to the Den for CAKE!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #39 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:57:15 am »
I'm veggie, so France, Belgium and Germany would probably all present problems. But it would be an experiment to see if I could live on cheese for 2 weeks. I've lived on cheese for 2 days and all that happened was yellow poo, but 2 weeks is a more serious commitment. I'd give it a go though.

I'm also veggie but managed a two week tour of Belgium and south Netherlands a couple of years ago, some smaller places required "I'll have the pizza but NO HAM please" sort of stuff and I could generally get an omelette and frites. We stayed in a lot of youth hostels which didn't have self-catering options but did provide evening meals and would usually do something veggie if asked, although the cook always looked a bit confused by the idea of a non-meat eater. I remember it being easier in the Netherlands than Belgium.

« Reply #40 on: 29 May, 2011, 12:01:05 pm »
Mine is worse, consisting of Englander schwein, Gott im Himmel!, Hande hoch and Aieeeee!.  Warlord comic has a lot to answer for.

Mine is even worse than that. I didn't do German at school, so the extent of my Kraut is:

"Who fucking von ze vor anyvay!?"
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #41 on: 29 May, 2011, 12:11:33 pm »

Mine is even worse than that. I didn't do German at school, so the extent of my Kraut is:

"Who fucking von ze vor anyvay!?"

... which is probably not much use, these days ...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #42 on: 29 May, 2011, 12:14:59 pm »
Actually, Tiree and York are not bad ideas, given that my new passport photos are so awful I can never go abroad again.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #43 on: 29 May, 2011, 12:19:24 pm »
I was also going to suggest Orkney, until I read your comment about wind (this is the only place I've ever had to keep pedalling downhill just to keep moving).  OK, it may not tick bobb's "warm" box either, depending on thermostat settings ...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #44 on: 29 May, 2011, 12:21:05 pm »
I was about to say the warm box is mine before I realised how this bunch of pervs would interpret that. But it's his box too. Oh good god. We both want the weather to be warm.

inc

« Reply #45 on: 29 May, 2011, 12:37:18 pm »

I don't mind where we go, but I have been given strict instructions that it must:

a. Be warm.
b. Be flat.
c. In Europe.
d. Camping must NOT be involved  ::-)

You don't say whether you want to go from a to b to c or would be happy centred in one place and explore the surrounding area. I think France would be good and could meet all your criteria . How are you intending to travel, all by bike, a plane, train or even a car to get there.  Gites in September should plentiful although I would think you would need to be South of the Loire for decent weather.

plum

« Reply #46 on: 29 May, 2011, 12:44:03 pm »
I must have had bad luck, I toured for three weeks in France last August, Calais to the Pyrenees via the Loire valley and Bordeaux. And in 1200 miles I had more rain days than sunny ones, don't ever remember being on a flat stretch. Problem was that the further south I went chasing the sunshine the bigger the hills got, can't seem to have one without the other.

Vendee looked to have possibilities with all those cycle paths. Massively hectic during the French holiday fortnight though.

border-rider

« Reply #47 on: 29 May, 2011, 12:44:53 pm »
I'd also say France South of the Loire. 

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #48 on: 29 May, 2011, 12:49:20 pm »
You don't say whether you want to go from a to b to c or would be happy centred in one place and explore the surrounding area.
Bobb would prefer to keep moving on, like the Littlest Hobo, and my preference would probably be the other way but not enough to overrule bobb. So probably we want to keep moving on. 

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #49 on: 29 May, 2011, 01:02:47 pm »
I recommend Germany (I'm off there in two weeks for some more flat touring). It doesn't matter if you can't remember much German as they mostly speak a form of English on the tourist routes. Veggie food much more available now, and cake everywhere!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk