Linked Events

• Friday night Oxford-London, 17th August 2012: 17 August, 2012 - 18 August, 2012

Author Topic: Friday night Oxford-London, 17th August 2012  (Read 9141 times)

Re: Friday night Oxford-London, 17th August 2012
« Reply #100 on: 18 August, 2012, 01:48:23 pm »
Best. Comedy. Drunk. Ever.

You're not wrong.  The only thing that could reasonably have added to the experience would have been Jurek's shorts...

They're 3/4s, m'kay?
3/4s.

I wish I'd been there  :D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #101 on: 18 August, 2012, 03:13:44 pm »
My ride report:

Left on time from Oxford station with a few FNRttS newbies: dibdib, Vicky (one of FF's Abingdon cycllists, although not a NOB as far as I know) and marcusjb, resplendent in orange.  The others were old hands at this.

Oxford was quiet as it isn't term time, although we did see a meat wagon and a load of broken glass outside Magdalen College.  Wheatley was deserted, disappoiintingly.  We stopped to look at the stars near Ickford but there was too much cloud to make it spectacular.  Then FF had a visitation and fixed it with a glitter-encrusted inner tube.  I don't know what than man gets up to at home.  Unlike last time, the water meadows hadn't flooded but we did pick up a surprisingly annoying headwind at Thame.  Chinnor Hill did what Chinnor Hill always does.  Marcus and Vicky skipped up it (in relative terms; Richard Virenque in full drug-fuelled form wouldn't skip up Chinnor Hill) and I dragged the creaking, protesting Brompton to the summit in its not-very-winch like 52" bottom gear.  Then I had a nice lie down in the road and nearly went to sleep while the others caught up.

Coming off the ridge towards Saunderton station, I was treated to the spectacle of one of FF's rear lights detaching itself at 40mph and bouncing towards me in several pieces, some still illuminated.  This was really cool, like a sort of red Perseid meteor shower.  No-one could be arsed to go back and find the bits.

Smalldean Lane was atrocious, with huge patches of glittery gravel (to match FF's inner tube).  Marcus and Kim rode up, the rest of us walked.  Then it was downhill all the way to Tesco, although that bit of the A40 seems to go on for ever.  The nightclub in High Wycombe was closed at 3am but there was still a bit of drunken shouting from under the flyover.

We ate Tesco shelf fare in the closed cafe and watched all the night shelf-stackers smoking on the other side of the window.  It seems to be compulsory to smoke if you work there.  Then we had the pretty rolling bits to Ruislip, which were dark until Chalfont St Peter (it was light at High Wycombe on June's ride, because we were running so late).  Gravelly stuff but not too dangerous.

At the Harefield bus shelter, 5am, a young chap (very refreshed) appeared and started looking at the bikes.  I'll let Kim describe this in more detail, since she and the Streetmachine were a source of endless fascination.

London was quite quiet and we found a suitabler RLJer to scalp on the Uxbridge Road.  Then he either broke his bike trying to keep up, or pulled the old "fake mechanical" trick to get out of the game.

Met Andrij at Paolo's and ate greasy stuff.  Andrij's American breakfast (with maple syrup pancakes) looked quite good.  Then we went our separate ways, four of us surviving Holland Park roundabout and endless RLJers to get to Paddington.

Thanks to everyone for coming.  Dibdib suffered more than anyone has suffered before on a bike ride* - just remember that Feline walked every single hill in 2010 and then completed PBP the next summer  :)

*except all of us who were on the sub-zero March 2009 ride, with sleet and snow
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #102 on: 18 August, 2012, 06:44:45 pm »
Coming off the ridge towards Saunderton station, I was treated to the spectacle of one of FF's rear lights detaching itself at 40mph and bouncing towards me in several pieces, some still illuminated.  This was really cool, like a sort of red Perseid meteor shower.  No-one could be arsed to go back and find the bits.

I watched this from behind, and it looked a bit like a small firework, before the distinctive rattle of plastic reflector on tarmac revealed what had happened.

Smalldean Lane was atrocious, with huge patches of glittery gravel (to match FF's inner tube).  Marcus and Kim rode up, the rest of us walked.

I nearly didn't make it, thanks to the gravel.  Got a lovely bit of wheelspin just as I lined up for the really steep bit  :hand:

Then we had the pretty rolling bits to Ruislip, which were dark until Chalfont St Peter (it was light at High Wycombe on June's ride, because we were running so late).  Gravelly stuff but not too dangerous.

There was a zombie on Welder's Lane.  Never expected that.

Someone's covered that really dodgy bit up over the M25 with tarmac!  The gravel's already encroaching, but it's a lot less challenging when the loose stuff doesn't unexpectedly continue for several inches below the surface, which itself doesn't randomly stop altogether on one side of the road.

Terminal Moraine (not the metal band) was still present on approach to the roundabout, but only on one side.

At the Harefield bus shelter, 5am, a young chap (very refreshed) appeared and started looking at the bikes.  I'll let Kim describe this in more detail, since she and the Streetmachine were a source of endless fascination.

What can I say, I've pulled.   ::-)

He's by no means the first person to regard the bike with a combination of disbelief and fascination, but I don't think anyone's ever said it was the coolest thing they've ever seen.  On the other hand, most people don't regard Uxbridge as the destination of choice for a night out...

His amazement that my bike had features such as brakes, handlebars and a chainring was entertaining, as was his general insistence that it wasn't possible to ride it, even when I was doing so.  But the real gem was his uncanny observation that I must have been the school nerd.  While I confess to spending rather more time hanging around the physics lab than strictly necessary, I didn't think it was that obvious.   :-[

rogerzilla

« Reply #103 on: 18 August, 2012, 07:02:02 pm »
Refreshed youngster: What's it called, anyway?

Kim (without hesitation): It's an HP Velotechnik StreetMachine GT

;D

He wasn't impressed by the Brompton, having apparently seen folding bikes before.  Everyone else had "proper bikes" and I had something that would "break my neck if I rode it off a kerb".

You can't argue with such insight.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #104 on: 18 August, 2012, 07:05:12 pm »
I still reckon that name is a German joke of some kind... possibly because it weighs almost as much as the bike itself.

rogerzilla

« Reply #105 on: 18 August, 2012, 07:11:30 pm »
I see it's the GTE these days; they've probably added climate control and an iPod interface.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #106 on: 18 August, 2012, 07:17:33 pm »
Adjustable lumber support and an alloy frame (which I'm not sure saves all that much in weight).  And for the lols they've changed the idler pulley arrangement so you get an exciting spare parts lottery when you come to replace a worn drivetrain.

They kept the highly successful hideous orange paint and unreachable bottle cage braze-ons, though.

Incidentally, I was suffering a bit more than usual in power-to-weight ratio terms on this ride - I made it up Chinnor Hill without trouble, but at a much lower speed than on previous rides.  I'm blaming lack of fitness and bringing a load of prophylactic wet weather gear - the Panzerfiets[1] is coincidental.

[1] I still think it should be Panzerrad, but it's what they're known as.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #107 on: 18 August, 2012, 11:48:49 pm »
[I found myself forced to search youtube for Terminal Moraine ... not terrible, and I've paid good money to see worse]

Wait, what?

*tapity-tap*

Gosh.  Oh well, so much for that idea... :facepalm:  Is there a version of Rule 34 for made-up metal bands?

« Reply #108 on: 19 August, 2012, 10:59:23 am »
Kim, how you manage to tell the story of your bus-shelter encounter without the superlative expletives amazes me!
And note to self - cable ties for rear lights are a good idea (then my bike will look like it belongs to mattc).

Good write-ups of a luurvley nights cycling.
Nice to meet Dibdib (apols, didn't know about the knee issues - well done),  Marcus and the good Sarge.

It was well warm!   The first and only night ride I've done without resorting to any second layers or arm-warmers.  It was also my harderst since the first frozen run back ... whenever - enthusiasm is no match for several weeks of almost no riding  :'( 
However, I was happy to maintain the pace with some grunting and I'm certain I made an extra couple of metres more on Smalldean!
The run from the Cafe to Paddington was really painful trying to keep up with Roger, Vicky and Dibdib.  From leaving there I cycled at near pedestrian pace to Morden via every scenic park/path possible.  I got a cold bath and was very hurty, tired and stiff for the rest of the day.

I'm looking forward to the next and I'm certain Vicky and a few others Freewheelers will be along.
Cheers all!

Thanks as ever to Roger for leadership and the rest of you else for good company!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #109 on: 20 August, 2012, 02:36:37 pm »
I think I met our comedy drunk's nephew at the Skyride yesterday:  Small boy on a BMX, probably about 7 or 8 years old.  Trundled up and asked if he could look at my funny bike, then after contemplating it for a while, decided that the fact it had pedals was the most amazing thing he'd ever seen.  He managed to express this without any boabwords, though.