Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2477111 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4325 on: 29 March, 2011, 09:21:01 pm »

Retro-tastic!  :D

Oi! That's pretty much my entire stable you're talkin' abaht, there!

I had a lovely commute on this bike today - tyres swapped out for nimbus armadillo 1.5" and sadlle swapped out for a B17.  On returning home I have removed the cast iron bar-ends, taken 37mm off the ends of the bars and fitted some new grips from the spares box.  I have also adjusted the reach on the monster brake levers so I can actually operate them with my human-sized hands.

I was overtaken by a scooterist on the New Cross Road who slowed down as he passed, flipped up his visor and said "Nice bike".  For a moment I was unsure about possible sarcasm but when we stopped at the next lights he admired it again and guessed the year almost spot-on.

Result  :thumbsup:

LindaG

« Reply #4326 on: 29 March, 2011, 09:35:41 pm »
Another update, give the pompino a clean and check over plus swapped the chainring to a silver one and fitted a new chain and tyres.

Then after a sudden rush of blood to the head, purchased a new pair of wheels, looked ok but felt way too heavy.

So plan b, after speaking to a good friend of mine, he wanted some dark coloured wheels for a project so did a deal for these, was not sure to start with but they have grown on me, I am thinking of a white saddle now to match.

You know what Gene?  I think those white wheels look great.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #4327 on: 30 March, 2011, 09:06:36 am »
Another update, give the pompino a clean and check over plus swapped the chainring to a silver one and fitted a new chain and tyres.

Then after a sudden rush of blood to the head, purchased a new pair of wheels, looked ok but felt way too heavy.

So plan b, after speaking to a good friend of mine, he wanted some dark coloured wheels for a project so did a deal for these, was not sure to start with but they have grown on me, I am thinking of a white saddle now to match.

You know what Gene?  I think those white wheels look great.

+1

Not my usual taste, but they look good on the bike - better than the shed coloured ones ;D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4328 on: 31 March, 2011, 07:32:50 pm »
New bike:

Condor Fratello in orange
Ultegra drivetrain and brifters
Specialities TA Carmina crankset
Royce bottom bracket
Nitto Noodle bars
Shimano R650 brakes
Velo Orange seatpost
Brooks Swift Titanium saddle
Royce Titan hubs with Ambrosio Excellence rims, DT Swiss Revolution spokes and 28mm Continental GP 4 Season
Deore XT SPDs
SKS guards

Feels bloody nice on first ride - very nice indeed.

Fading light photo of new bike build - really pleased so far - only taken it a few times around the block, but feels lovely. by marcus_jb1973, on Flickr

The white panel on the top tube isn't painted - it's a piece of kitchen towel to stop the bars banging the top tube until I get bar tape onto them (need to be 100% on the brifter position etc. first).

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #4329 on: 31 March, 2011, 07:39:14 pm »
New bike:

Condor Fratello in orange
Ultegra drivetrain and brifters
Specialities TA Carmina crankset
Royce bottom bracket
Nitto Noodle bars
Shimano R650 brakes
Velo Orange seatpost
Brooks Swift Titanium saddle
Royce Titan hubs with Ambrosio Excellence rims, DT Swiss Revolution spokes and 28mm Continental GP 4 Season
Deore XT SPDs
SKS guards

Feels bloody nice on first ride - very nice indeed.

Fading light photo of new bike build - really pleased so far - only taken it a few times around the block, but feels lovely. by marcus_jb1973, on Flickr

The white panel on the top tube isn't painted - it's a piece of kitchen towel to stop the bars banging the top tube until I get bar tape onto them (need to be 100% on the brifter position etc. first).

that is very nice  :thumbsup:   sex on wheels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #4330 on: 31 March, 2011, 07:40:25 pm »
Good bike and nice stuff on it - you'll like those noodles  :)

Might make you rethink the wisdom of forking out for custom.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4331 on: 31 March, 2011, 09:00:26 pm »
Nice.  You got that put together quickly.
Getting there...

« Reply #4332 on: 31 March, 2011, 10:20:16 pm »
Very nice bike  ;D
Now you need an orange YACF jersey to go with it!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4333 on: 31 March, 2011, 10:23:39 pm »

And what did we say about trimming and capping those mudguard stays?  >:(

;) ;D

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4334 on: 01 April, 2011, 07:52:07 am »

And what did we say about trimming and capping those mudguard stays?  >:(

;) ;D

Don't start!  I should have learnt my lesson after last time.

I'll be cutting them this weekend, wearing safety goggles etc.!

Really pleased with it so far, veery late night building it up and then finished off yesterday afternoon. Will bar tape it, I have brown (probably number one choice) or White tape (which is scientifically the fastest bar tape out there) and finish off a few other bits. Going to get out into the Surrey hills tomorrow for a good few hours, to make sure the setup is comfy and all working (shifting is very nice, except I keep on try to press the campagnolo button to shift! Will take a bit of getting used to the shimano levers).

Thanks for the comments.

Bring on the elenith now!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #4335 on: 09 April, 2011, 09:42:11 pm »
Well had some time today so finished the Kaffenback, has been a labour of love due to tight funds so have been buying parts since last Dec, spent more than budget but it is better to build it right first time.

Spec: 30spd Shimano 105 set up with Stronglight Chainset, SJSC Thumb shifters, Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelset, Avid 5 v brakes and levers, Charge Spoon saddle, Fsa Stem, Thorn Bars and seatpost.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4336 on: 09 April, 2011, 09:55:02 pm »
Great do-it-all bike you've got there, Gene. Very smart  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4337 on: 10 April, 2011, 07:54:00 am »
Gene, please can you post a link to your SJSC thumb shifters. Thanks.

« Reply #4338 on: 10 April, 2011, 09:45:04 am »
Gene, please can you post a link to your SJSC thumb shifters. Thanks.

No problems

These are the ones: SJSC Shimano Deore XT Style Thumbshifter Sets

They also do 8 and 9 speed.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4339 on: 16 April, 2011, 06:15:53 pm »
that wouldnt be a 0 degree rise stem would it. they are a usefull thing. :thumbsup:

« Reply #4340 on: 16 April, 2011, 06:54:48 pm »
that wouldnt be a 0 degree rise stem would it. they are a usefull thing. :thumbsup:

No it is a + or - 6° FSA

FSA XC-150  XT Stem | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #4341 on: 16 April, 2011, 09:18:20 pm »
Our tandem

Somewhere in Northumbria

Dave & PerkyGirl
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4342 on: 16 April, 2011, 09:31:06 pm »
:thumbsup:
Getting there...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4343 on: 17 April, 2011, 08:28:19 pm »
Our tandem

Somewhere in Northumbria

Dave & PerkyGirl

Can't touch this . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4344 on: 17 April, 2011, 08:45:41 pm »

There was one of those on the FRNttC last night[1].  The sign, not the tandem.  Or at least not *that* tandem.

[1] Bodyclock not re-synched to NTP.  Apply fudge-factor as needed.

« Reply #4345 on: 18 April, 2011, 11:50:10 am »

My one and only steed! After almost 6 months of being left to freeze under a cover in the garden during winter. Today, I bled her brakes and put some air in her tyres, then took her for a spin round the block. Apart from a good clean and some basic tlc, she is still smooth and perfect!!
Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #4346 on: 18 April, 2011, 01:11:20 pm »
I've always been fond of Orange bikes....an itch I will no doubt scratch at some point in the future.....I actually planned to buy an Orange P7 a few years ago but found the front end too high for my liking.

Nice machine

« Reply #4347 on: 18 April, 2011, 01:25:43 pm »
Thank you, she is my pride and joy. I don't know why I chose an Orange Gringo but she is beautifully versatile having been used on long road trips and rough rugged dirt tracks. She's dragged trailers and carried racks.
My little mule...
Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4348 on: 18 April, 2011, 02:39:52 pm »
Thank you, she is my pride and joy. I don't know why I chose an Orange Gringo but she is beautifully versatile having been used on long road trips and rough rugged dirt tracks. She's dragged trailers and carried racks.
My little mule...

Welcome to yacf, Trailrat :).

I think it's customary at this stage to indicate that someone has nicked half your spokes ;D.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #4349 on: 18 April, 2011, 03:07:03 pm »

I think it's customary at this stage to indicate that someone has nicked half your spokes ;D.

That would explain the lean to the left!