Author Topic: Gospel pass 2015  (Read 1411 times)

Gospel pass 2015
« on: 03 March, 2015, 02:28:24 pm »
Whose on for this in two weeks time?

Really looking forward to the push / ride / sop / start by the pine trees again. Hopefully the wind isnt as strong this time  :sick: It should be because isnt it later than last year?

I am going to try for a food stop before Hay on Wye this time, due to the numbers. Looking forward to some more apple pie and custard in Abergavenny. Hopefully we will be there before 3oclock this time though! as trying to Gwernsey hill in a rush isnt a good idea  :facepalm: and back in Chepstow with 15minues to spare  :(

Re: Gospel pass 2015
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:08:42 am »
I'm can't make it this year, but for me NP's Gospel Pass is the best audax ride there is. Great roads, British landscape at its best, and a real test for the legs. I don't think there is a better 150k of riding anywhere.

The trick with the Pass itself (for me) is to take it really easy up to the cattle grid. From there you may need to dig deep at times.

« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:01:07 am »
There's more than one cafe in Hay, but it's possibly best not to over-indulge just before the climb.  I shall be there in an auxiliary capacity as usual.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:39:56 am »
I'm in and looking forward to it, love this ride. I know the descent is a bit hairy (especially when covered in ice as in it was a couple of years back). Also worked well last year from Bristol as an ECE 200 which I'll be doing again this year.

« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2015, 08:44:26 pm »
I have tickets for Wales v Ireland si I won't be riding, but I may well offer to help Nik at the start, so maybe see you there!

« Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2015, 11:41:39 am »
Am looking forward to this one.  I have only ridden the up the pass once before a few years ago so look forward to it. This will be a short one for me as I though my broken wrist would take longer to heal than it did and so booked the 150Km as a way to get back into the Audax scene

« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2015, 07:03:39 pm »
A bit last minute, but is anyone available to help on the day at either the start, or Monmouth, or Hay?  There are 140 entries, so it's going to be hard work.

« Reply #7 on: 13 March, 2015, 12:53:31 am »
I can help at the start.

I am working now (thursday night)

If I pm you my mobile number can you text me the details.I will text or ring you back friday afternoon when I get up.

« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2015, 07:02:34 pm »
Well that was fun! Colder at the start than I had prepared for, but it warmed up after Monmouth. The pass itself was snowy, but getting there builds up enough heat that you don't notice!

Thanks to Nik, Ian and the other helpers. Special mention should go to the controller at Monmouth: as usual with this event  the large field ensures a fast run to the first control, and a big bunch of us arrived unexpectedly  at the same time as the controller's delicious-looking fry up. He thus found himself on the horns of a dilemma, but graciously laid aside the cutlery and started stamping cards. He also refused offers of help (with the stamping, not the fry up) so that we could get on with the ride. If you're on here, then thanks again and I hope that you got to eat your breakfast before it congealed...

« Reply #9 on: 14 March, 2015, 07:05:21 pm »
That was easier than last year, but the gospel climb was still as vicious  :facepalm:

But what a cracking ride, that descent with the snow was one of the best bits of cycling I have done.

looking forward to next years one  8)