Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
GPS / Re: Wahoo Elemnt BOLT
« Last post by RCyclist99 on Today at 05:13:33 pm »

You can even do the routing in Komoot without a 3G signal, if you have downloaded the offline maps, though these are not free.

How have you managed to do this? I have just paid for offline worldwide maps thinking I would be able to do offline route planning but if I try and generate a route with my wifi and 3g turned off, in an area that I've downloaded for offline use, it just says "You need an internet connection to plan a Tour" in a blue bar at the top of the maps. Not much use to me!
I don't know what is going on in the sky over Stafford but four times in the last couple of hours an armed forces helicopter has flown low over my property and by low, I mean around 100 feet. 

Currently it is flying loops around Bradley a few miles to the west of here.

Bloody noisy it is too.

It's because of the raised terror alert level. There are troops on the streets on London.

Not necessarily, we were informed, last week, that a training exercise is planned for the next two weeks, meaning an increase in the number of fixed and rotary wing aircraft in the area.
Audax / Re: KWAC @ Wibbas, Wed 14 June
« Last post by Neil C on Today at 04:41:45 pm »
Hoping to be there, but not before another training evening in a different Wimbledon watering hole.

Since I won't be early enough for your "sensible responses" I've stopped the dithering and entered the 300.
Wall thickness of 1" aluminium steerers varies.  Tifosi's are thicker than some others I've seen.  I'm not worried about mine.

(The full carbon forks I mention are on another bike).
Rides and Touring / Re: A38 - Gloucestershire - OK to ride?
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 04:39:19 pm »
I don't think the motorway junctions make that much difference. At any rate, I don't think the driving on the A38 is any worse than elsewhere. But it probably depends on time as well; if you've used it to commute, I'm sure you'll have encountered some idiocy. And from Stroud I'm not sure what routes would logically follow the A38, whereas from Bristol it certainly makes sense.
Food & Drink / Re: The fantasy pizza thread
« Last post by pcolbeck on Today at 04:35:13 pm »
A quattro stagioni has an egg in the middle to represent the sun and that's a classic pizza.
Audax / Re: Amesbury Amble 300, 1st July
« Last post by Neil C on Today at 04:31:58 pm »
With an uncharacteristic amount of forward planning I have just entered.

All I need now is a couple of bigger rides so this becomes tapering for LEL, and not a last chance panic.
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 04:31:12 pm »
.. an egg.

No. That is just so wrong. You know my feelings on this though  :P
No, bobb, you are wrong on this. Pizza with fried egg and spinach is deliciousssssssssssssss.
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 04:21:10 pm »
I can't stand chicken on a pizza. Wrongness....

It is very difficult to stand chicken on a pizza. They keep walking off.
Cane Creek 40 Series is a good quality unit that's readily available

There's also a decent enough cartridge bearing offering direct from Condor cycles for ~£25 which I've been using (2 of) for the last few years, I recommend them heartily as a budget(ish) alternative to Cane Creek or posh Campag options.

I decided that a 1" aluminium steerer was just not a good idea and replaced the originals.  I don't think a 1" (aluminium) steerer is stiff enough to avoid fatigue and is a liability.

I agree with this very much, if you must use 1 inch with an Alu steerer then inspect regularly and be prepared to replace as well at the first sign of issues, and possibly wise to do so on a semi-regular time based interval if it's used on a high mileage/heavy load machine.

Admittedly steerer failures are rare but they are catastrophic when they happen and the relative scarcity of reports is also probably skewed by the (relatively speaking) smaller number of 1 inch Alu steerers in use, most people on 1 inch bikes are either still using steel forks, or have a very posh but older frame and are running appropriately posh full carbon forks, everyone else is on 1 1/8th. To be clear, I'm not saying that 1 inch Alu steerers are unsafe as such, but I'm just highlighting that their strength and fatigue life is less so be aware of that.

Columbus (used to?) make a full carbon fork in 1" that was shaped to match a non-integrated headset - I think they were called "Minimal"

They do, it is and yes they're still available, I bought a new one last week to replace an old Time carbon fork with a bent(!) steel steerer. They're don't cost much more than Alu steerer models (£150 vs £80-100) and are cheaper than a lot of high end 1 1/8th forks too, they ride nicely (I have an older set too), look good enough mated to old 1 inch frames, are a sensible weight and have a good reputation for reliability, they also come with the necessry bung. They will fit a 28mm tyre with clearance too, but no room for guards  :-(

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10