Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 286704 times)

Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #2000 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:29:53 pm »
A rather mischievous thought occurred to me. Not much chance of it being fact but.....

Wouldn't it make the schadenfreude so much sweeter if one of the seven really had been won clean?

« Reply #2001 on: 04 February, 2015, 03:33:35 pm »
We tend to forget about the other riders supporting LA and how we treat/view them.

Sean Yates springs to mind and the way he departed Sky, and of course his involvement with Wiggins and his win.  Interesting to see who Yates is working for now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/11206202/Sean-Yates-returns-as-sporting-director-with-Tinkoff-Saxo-alongside-former-Team-Sky-colleague-Bobby-Julich.html

Just as well he's not working for/supporting anyone who has admitted doping or been banned for taking banned products, after all Yates has always said he knew nothing about any doping while working alongside LA.  Oh, just a minute ............!

« Reply #2002 on: 04 February, 2015, 04:09:16 pm »
Former Team Sky directeur sportif to reunite with Alberto Contador as Bjarne Riis's Tinkoff-Saxo squad bolsters its backroom staff

"[It is] an honour to be asked by Bjarne to join Tinkoff-Saxo," Yates said in a team statement. "It is probably the only team I would work with right now and when the opportunity came along, it was too good to turn down.

Reading the personnel list, it looks like a dream team!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2003 on: 06 February, 2015, 10:09:30 pm »
Oh, the RATM bassist's "don't do drugs kids" skateboarding video involving Lance?  Yeah, that was kinda surreal.

« Reply #2004 on: 06 February, 2015, 10:44:36 pm »
And now a cameo appearance in a music video (Future User - Mountain Lion). I've saved a link to the point where Larry chimes in to save you from the terribleness of the previous 4 minutes 15 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzW8SnUKms0#t=251 Warning: contains graphic images of fake drug use and SKATEBOARDING

Bizarre. Is he having some kind of meltdown?

Is he hitting the grog? He had that sort of look about him in a couple of recent vids.

« Reply #2005 on: 06 February, 2015, 10:51:58 pm »
Do you know, I have no time for PED use or any of Lance's history, but I don't wish him any ill. He has a wife and kids and a mum and dad, and  they'll all be paying a price for his behaviour. It would be sad for all of them if he did wind up in the grip of alcohol now, and no one else would benefit or be in any way repaid for his past.

« Reply #2006 on: 06 February, 2015, 11:00:13 pm »
I watched his recent BBC interview in full. He said he wasn't cut out to be 'pack fill', which made me wonder who was the most obscure rider ever to ride the Tour?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2007 on: 07 February, 2015, 10:56:54 am »
That's from an interview at the end of a gruelling mountain stage.  The chap who has just struggled in at the very back of the autobus is talking to a Mr Liggett...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #2008 on: 14 February, 2015, 08:20:02 pm »
Just watched the now somewhat non-recent BBC interview on the PVR.  Lance just doesn't get it, does he?
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2009 on: 15 February, 2015, 12:11:28 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2010 on: 15 February, 2015, 12:34:32 pm »
2013 a coach load of Canadian school/college rugby players was raided by Dyfed/Powys finest after a tip off, they found coke and weed amongst other things, 

« Reply #2011 on: 15 February, 2015, 01:36:38 pm »
Why is everyone so convinced Lemond won clean? I'm not saying he didn't, just curious.

The two wins in recent tour history that look the most believable, in terms of lack a of 'extraordinary' performances from the winners are Evans in 2011 and Wiggins in 2012. Coincidentally, the two that the media labelled the most boring. But maybe that's a part of the problem...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2012 on: 15 February, 2015, 01:46:53 pm »
Lemond has never had a hint or allegation of drug use, beat the USA's best riders as a junior, had a steady increase in performance (no strange leaps in ability) and was widely recognised as a future Tour winner as an amateur.

Evans comes the closest to matching that profile but has always been closely involved with known doping teams/ staff and won the Tour when very old for a cyclist. Sir Wiggo doesn't even come close.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #2013 on: 15 February, 2015, 02:07:28 pm »
How about Hinault ?....He seems to be above it all too.

« Reply #2014 on: 15 February, 2015, 02:32:07 pm »
Known cortisone user.

I think the reason why LeMond might be believable is that he won in an era where doping may not have been the decisive factor (unlike the 1990s onwards, and Roche's dodgy tour wins).

As for Wiggins, what makes him doubtful is that his winning year of 2012 didn't just mean a TdF win. He won everything.

« Reply #2015 on: 15 February, 2015, 02:45:14 pm »
Known cortisone user.

I think the reason why LeMond might be believable is that he won in an era where doping may not have been the decisive factor (unlike the 1990s onwards, and Roche's dodgy tour wins).

As for Wiggins, what makes him doubtful is that his winning year of 2012 didn't just mean a TdF win. He won everything.

It's very hard to know; as you say, there was plenty dodgy going on in the late 80s, but perhaps not to the extent of the 90s.

As for Wiggins, well, there is only 1 person who knows for sure. I think he fits 3 of 4 LW&B's criteria - just not the last one. The only real jump in his performance came in the 2009 season, but that could be explained by his switch from road supporting track to focusing entirely on road and shedding over 8kg.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2016 on: 15 February, 2015, 02:48:10 pm »
That is very dodgy. Nobody who is already world-class drops that much weight and matches or increases their power output.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2017 on: 15 February, 2015, 05:09:49 pm »
2013 a coach load of Canadian school/college rugby players was raided by Dyfed/Powys finest after a tip off, they found coke and weed amongst other things,

I should think examination of any coachload of people of that age would uncover a certain quantity of recreational pharmaceuticals.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2018 on: 15 February, 2015, 05:50:57 pm »
Perhaps a little bit of context on drugs in other sports:
http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/rugby/2011/08/03/school-boys-test-positive-for-steroids-at-craven-week
and closer to home:
"
Perhaps the most infamous drugs cheat of recent times is Clive Peters – handed an eight-year ban. He coached Surrey’s U15 to U18 rugby union sides. Legal papers from last year’s hearing show he spent almost £20,000 buying steroids from China, the US and Greece.
"

Basically pushing drugs to kids. Not a crime apparently!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2019 on: 16 February, 2015, 03:53:09 pm »
Of course it's not a crime - it's a service! Here's why. It's not sport, but it's performance enhancing (supposedly at least) and the end aim is the same.
Smart drugs are capitalism’s little helpers.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2020 on: 16 February, 2015, 04:39:52 pm »
Oh dear. $10 000 000
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2021 on: 18 February, 2015, 10:33:02 am »
Any cyclist I have seen retire, looked much fuller/rounder a few weeks later. Steve Redgrave, OK a rower, had a funny pot belly in his first interview after he retired. Even I put some Kg on, very fast, when not cycling simply because it is so very hard to stop eating.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

fuzzy

« Reply #2022 on: 18 February, 2015, 12:24:39 pm »
Any cyclist I have seen retire, looked much fuller/rounder a few weeks later. Steve Redgrave, OK a rower, had a funny pot belly in his first interview after he retired. Even I put some Kg on, very fast, when not cycling simply because it is so very hard to stop eating.

The Cannibal spent some time, post retirement, looking like he had consumed the entire population of a small country.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2023 on: 23 February, 2015, 10:56:30 pm »
Lemond has never had a hint or allegation of drug use, beat the USA's best riders as a junior, had a steady increase in performance (no strange leaps in ability) and was widely recognised as a future Tour winner as an amateur.
Of course, that could just mean he had the foresight to start doping at an early age. Or his coach did.

(I'm not entirely sure it matters from a competition p.ov. and he certainly doesn't seem to have bullied other riders into taking or not taking drugs)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2024 on: 23 February, 2015, 11:25:29 pm »
Not in Lemond's case.

For what little it's worth, doping makes a difference in whether I'm interested in a competition. YMMV