Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 874388 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #7425 on: 03 May, 2024, 06:37:14 pm »
Not to leave wheels turned out after parallel parking.  Bloke here did that and his car was scraped by a drunk driver.
With no out turned wheel it would have scratches and a wing mirror. With the out turned wheel taking full impact, a write off.

On an 'ill, I was taught that you should do so, such that handbrake failure would have the car roll into the kerb

Legal requirement to do so in certain parts of the US I believe (SF?) - you can be ticketed if the wheels are seen to be straight.

(Historic cause for consternation among owners of Citroen CXen, I believe, where the Diravi power steering would straighten the wheels up without you asking.)

The tale is told of a chap who forgot about the DIRAVI effect when stopped at a bit of an angle at an autoroute toll booth in an SM.  With expensive consequences.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7426 on: 04 May, 2024, 04:59:15 pm »
That ASDA's Polish kefir is a close substitute for the filmjölk I miss from my days in Sweden. A really good sour foil to the sweetness of my home-mixed fruit and fibre.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7427 on: 08 May, 2024, 07:34:13 pm »
Today I are mostly learning that Marmalade Atkins and Francis Urquhart are both creations of the strange head-branez of Andrew Davies.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7428 on: 10 May, 2024, 10:02:37 am »
Today I are mostly learning that Marmalade Atkins and Francis Urquhart are both creations of the strange head-branez of Andrew Davies.

Wasn't Francis Urquhart from the brain of Michael Dobbs?   Davies did the TV adaptation but the character is almost identical to Dobbs' book.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7429 on: 10 May, 2024, 10:12:51 am »
(Facepalms furiously)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7430 on: Today at 08:28:02 am »
CO2 and tyre/tube sealant do not play happily together, sez GCN.  That'll lighten my bike by a couple of hundred grammes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7431 on: Today at 10:08:45 am »

Wasn't Francis Urquhart from the brain of Michael Dobbs?   Davies did the TV adaptation but the character is almost identical to Dobbs' book.

Andrew Davies didn't invent Mr Darcy either - that was Helen Fielding, obvs.

He did invent Dr Rose Marie though. And for that the teenage me was entirely grateful.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7432 on: Today at 11:16:50 am »
That Spitfire Island has spitfires in the middle of it.  (I've only previously been that way in the dark.)