Author Topic: Help - system files deleted...  (Read 1769 times)

Help - system files deleted...
« on: 02 May, 2023, 06:27:37 pm »
Urgent call from mini-ao - doing finals.   Windows 10 8Gb i7 SSD.

Apparently scratch disk full - had problems with photoshop.
Called uni tech line
They used remote '123' access software.
'oops we've deleted system software instead of temp files'.   :facepalm:
PC super-glitchy.  Track pad & wireless mouse don't work.

They recommended a factory reset of PC.  Fortunately mini-ao has one drive & ext HDD backup of docs.

I suggested she could try a System Restore Point to see if this solves the issues, but she asked if this could make things worse?

So what do people recommend?  Ideas?  Her Photoshop/ MS Office is apparently supplied by uni downloads.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Help - system files deleted...
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2023, 06:39:31 pm »
Does it get any worse than having lost a game of Windows Jenga?

Try the restore point, and when that doesn't work, reinstall.  Keep the backups thoroughly isolated throughout, and be glad you're not trying to fabricobble something that'll compile LaTeX after a rapid unscheduled magic smoke release the night before hand-in, which is what happened to barakta's dissertation.

« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2023, 07:48:53 pm »
Thanks. 
I'll get her to try System restore from previous point.  Hopefully the Tech Team didn't mess this up...
Otherwise is "Reset this PC" > 'keeps documents', or, 'bin everything' better?
Doesn't look like she has a Recovery Drive.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2023, 07:50:01 pm »
I agree, attempt a restore but don't waste ages on it, if restore isn't fixing it, then reinstall.

May also be worth asking IT to retrain their numpty who carelessly deleted system files cos that really isn't on. While this is not critical (Mini AO having sensible backups ftw) it's still time she could have spent working spent on fixing IT's fuckup.

« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2023, 08:00:25 pm »
Thanks.  Indications restore point not working?  Taking too long/crashing?  I can't remember whether one can just click cancel, as have vague recollection of a 'can't interrupt' messge, or perhaps that was BIOS update...

barakta

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2023, 10:48:43 pm »
Click cancel or just give the machine a 1 finger salute - aka hold the power button down for 30s or so, it should shut down automatically.

Start up again and reinstall.

« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2023, 12:21:25 am »
Reset PC [keep documents] - should give you a PC with working trackpad, but with Windows & drivers from several years ago - whenever PC originally built.

Settings | Update | Windows Update | Check online for updates from Microsoft Update - should get PC back up to date.

Settings | System | Storage | Tmp - gives you the option to delete old Windows Update files, also Delivery Optimisation Files, also Tmp files. [This should free up the disk space that was the original problem,]

Install Office, Adobe from Uni.

Good luck!

« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2023, 06:51:21 am »
Thanks Both. 

System restore 'could not be completed successfully', so Reset PC removing all files & did a fresh install of Windows 10 from cloud.  I suggested perhaps not Windows 11 just atm, given time of essence, and miniao may not want to faff about with new OS.

edit.  All done.  Adobe & Office installed.   Laptop apparently a lot faster now so perhaps, every cloud...

barakta

« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2023, 12:15:18 pm »
Back in the day *creak* (probably before Mini Ao was born) Windows was so shite you HAD to reinstall every 6-12 months to keep it functional, thus eradicating accumulated cruft... Windows has "improved" so it doesn't Jenga-itself, but just starts to work more and more slowly instead...

Wishing Mini Ao all the best with her remaining few weeks of assessments at uni.

« Reply #9 on: 03 May, 2023, 12:43:44 pm »
Thanks  :)   This episode of inflicted windows woe didn't do much for her stress levels...