Author Topic: Beekeeping?  (Read 11753 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Beekeeping?
« Reply #50 on: 30 April, 2024, 04:39:04 pm »
Another pretty reasonably sized swarm today. I think I collected that. I was on an old rosemary plant and I sawed a lump off and shook the bees into a box. Hopefully the queen went in.

I went through the hive and found a good sized queen cell whose cap was open - that must have been the queen that emerged today. Yesterday's swarm has long since gone. I think I left a solitary queen cell in the hive so I'm hoping there won't be any more swarms.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #51 on: 01 May, 2024, 10:56:02 pm »
I've been reading about varroa treatment - something that wasn't available when I last kept bees. It seems that oxalic acid is pretty effective at killing mites without harming bees, but to be most effective, the bees need to be treated when there are no sealed cells. So what better time than when you've just collected a swarm and the queen hasn't started laying yet?

I've just ordered some oxalic acid and a syringe and I'm going to have a go at treating this hive at the weekend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #52 on: 01 May, 2024, 11:19:28 pm »
The squeezy dosing bottles are easier to use than a syringe. I think Thorne stocks them.

ETA https://www.thorne.co.uk/health-feeding/pests-diseases/varroa/varroa-chemical/trickle-2-empty-bottle.html
Pen Pusher