Author Topic: Public emergency alerts by text in the UK  (Read 16426 times)

Re: Public emergency alerts by text in the UK
« Reply #200 on: 25 April, 2023, 09:11:30 am »
Let me see, what is it for?

Flood alerts (saves having to get army to go around knocking on doors and gets the alert out faster than relying on footmail).
Storm alerts (we've had unforecast wind storms here that blew up in minutes. Wind speeds of > 90mph. An alert would tell people to get children/pets/chickens indoors and safe)
Terrorist incidents - such as the one in central london a few years back.

So I think it is justified and useful.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #201 on: 25 April, 2023, 09:26:39 am »
So what is it for?

Things like this happen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_flood_of_1953

An alert would have been really useful and could have saved many lives. Most other Western countries have had an alert system in place for years, we are just behind the curve.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #202 on: 25 April, 2023, 09:49:45 am »
Or "factory in town is on fire with nasty fumes - stay indoors and close windows"

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #203 on: 25 April, 2023, 10:13:04 am »
……goes out to have a closer look
It is simpler than it looks.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #204 on: 25 April, 2023, 10:25:30 am »
Or "factory in town is on fire with nasty fumes - stay indoors and close windows"

I've received two of these since living in the Netherlands. Very useful.

Remember these alerts can be used on a very granular level even limited to just a single cell.

They don't have to be nation wide.

So "unexploded bomb found, please evacuate to <local leisure centre> " is very plausible.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #205 on: 25 April, 2023, 11:05:38 am »

I've received two of these since living in the Netherlands. Very useful.

Remember these alerts can be used on a very granular level even limited to just a single cell.

They don't have to be nation wide.

So "unexploded bomb found, please evacuate to <local leisure centre> " is very plausible.

J

Would it be breaching confidentiality to describe in some detail?   
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #206 on: 25 April, 2023, 11:17:39 am »
Late Sunday afternoon there was the sound of a distant alert. I don't currently have a working mobile so after a brief search all I could come up with was

The Lenovo tablet which was charging in the kitchen - no indication that it had been disturbed though

Something drifting through from next door

Or I imagined it

I'll likely go with the last one
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #207 on: 25 April, 2023, 11:40:30 am »
"ALERT!
An EVRI driver is in your area"
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #208 on: 25 April, 2023, 11:55:33 am »
AWOOGA! AWOOGA!
Reports of Prince Andrew in your postal district!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #209 on: 25 April, 2023, 12:09:15 pm »

Would it be breaching confidentiality to describe in some detail?   

Basically fire in the west harbour, keep windows and doors shut and avoid the area.

I didn't know phones could do these, and the first one scared the shit out of me.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #210 on: 25 April, 2023, 01:25:51 pm »
I'm trying to think of any event I have experienced in recent memory where such a warning might have been useful.

I think this is the reason why we never set it up years ago when the standard became available.

I recall $some_random_on_the_internet admonishing me for not including tornado warning capability in the deaf alarm clock I was building.  (Try explaining to USAnians that tornado warnings simply aren't a thing here; they think harry potter drinks Eggnog.)  But the point is illustrative.  Places prone to natural disasters tend to already have warning infrastructure in place, and updating/expanding the underlying technology as appropriate is accepted as entirely reasonable.

In the UK, it's basically severe flooding in places that are far enough from That London that politicians don't really care about them (although we're going to get more of that sort of thing in future), and once-in-a-lifetime fires or terrorist incidents.  I still think it's reasonable to have it, because there's always the unforeseen and television isn't what it used to be, radio isn't accessible, and the bits of the internet that people actually use are at the whims of Californian techbros.

But the answer to the obvious 'Why now?' question appears to be "Rishi Sunak's father-in-law"...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #211 on: 25 April, 2023, 01:42:25 pm »
"ALERT!
An EVRI driver is in your area"

. . .  Check your green/blue/black bin (delete as appropriate) for parcels delivered

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #212 on: 25 April, 2023, 03:10:29 pm »
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #213 on: 25 April, 2023, 03:30:28 pm »
Ah! CB ;D

People in Harwich used park on the side of the harbour and flash their lights towards Felixstowe where there were people also parked.  When contact was made they were happy and could return home.  That seemed to be about as useful as it got, and they never guessed it would evolve into faceBook..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #214 on: 26 April, 2023, 10:46:53 am »
It occurs to me there's something missing from the alert system; any system of emergency alerts should be accompanied by an all clear signal, with its own distinctive, reassuring tone. It won't be appropriate in every emergency but in many it would, and it would both alleviate public anxiety (awooga! awooga! missing child! – whew! whew! child found!) and prevent some people eg re-entering the danger area (flood, fire, etc) before safe.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #215 on: 26 April, 2023, 11:03:47 am »
It occurs to me there's something missing from the alert system; any system of emergency alerts should be accompanied by an all clear signal, with its own distinctive, reassuring tone. It won't be appropriate in every emergency but in many it would, and it would both alleviate public anxiety (awooga! awooga! missing child! – whew! whew! child found!) and prevent some people eg re-entering the danger area (flood, fire, etc) before safe.

I've received all clear messages here. But they are the same noise and format as the original message.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #216 on: 26 April, 2023, 01:12:08 pm »

I've received all clear messages here. But they are the same noise and format as the original message.

J
I wonder if having the same noise means people are less likely to ignore the all clear messages, or if on the contrary they are likely to dismiss two alerts sent within say 24 hours, assuming the second is an all clear?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #217 on: 26 April, 2023, 01:14:09 pm »
According to the BBC, one in five phones in UK are running too old an operating system to receive these alerts:
Sunday's alert was sent to 4G and 5G phone networks, on iPhones running iOS 14.5 or later or phones and tablets running Android 11 or later.

The Cabinet Office said 80% of mobile phones in the UK were compatible to receive the alert.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65391455
It seems a surprisingly high proportion (though saying "Android 11", I have no idea what the latest iteration is).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #218 on: 26 April, 2023, 02:06:55 pm »
Is it true that HMG contracted the alerts to Fujitsu, who subscontracted them to Murthy Enterprises Infosys?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #219 on: 26 April, 2023, 02:21:07 pm »
According to the BBC, one in five phones in UK are running too old an operating system to receive these alerts:
Sunday's alert was sent to 4G and 5G phone networks, on iPhones running iOS 14.5 or later or phones and tablets running Android 11 or later.

The Cabinet Office said 80% of mobile phones in the UK were compatible to receive the alert.
It seems a surprisingly high proportion (though saying "Android 11", I have no idea what the latest iteration is).

My old Samsung S7 claims to be Android 8.0.0 and it got the alert.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #220 on: 26 April, 2023, 02:33:37 pm »
Is it true that HMG contracted the alerts to Fujitsu, who subscontracted them to Murthy Enterprises Infosys?

The first part is true - the second part seems to be interweb speculation.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #221 on: 26 April, 2023, 03:16:11 pm »

Just checked mine, which also got the alert, and it says "updated to Android 10". So, probably the BBC got something wrong.

« Reply #222 on: 26 April, 2023, 03:19:16 pm »

The first part is true - the second part seems to be interweb speculation.
Fujitsu? Really?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #223 on: 26 April, 2023, 03:42:18 pm »

Just checked mine, which also got the alert, and it says "updated to Android 10". So, probably the BBC got something wrong.

The .gov.uk blurb here says
Emergency alerts work on:

iPhones running iOS 14.5 or later
Android phones and tablets running Android 11 or later
If you have an earlier version of Android, you may still be able to receive alerts. To check, search your device settings for ‘emergency alerts’.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #224 on: 26 April, 2023, 03:58:45 pm »
The .gov.uk blurb here says
Emergency alerts work on:

iPhones running iOS 14.5 or later
Android phones and tablets running Android 11 or later
If you have an earlier version of Android, you may still be able to receive alerts. To check, search your device settings for ‘emergency alerts’.

I've searched the device settings, and nothing about Emergency Alerts shows up.
Yet I got the alert.
The blurb is Not Quite Right.

Probably down to the fact that no two android installs are the same, IME.