Author Topic: Will it ever stop?  (Read 5274 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Will it ever stop?
« on: 11 October, 2020, 10:53:13 am »

Is it ever going to stop fscking raining?!?!

I wanna go ride my bike, but my waterproof jacket is in for repair, and don't want to get totally soaked. It's rained every day for over a week now :(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Will it ever stop?
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2020, 11:02:42 am »
Dry and sunny here 150km SE of you!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2020, 11:53:57 am »
I read your subject line and my brain just filled in the rest;
Quote from: Mr V.Ice
yo, I don't know
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2020, 01:20:35 pm »

Went out anyway, got soaked, 3 different cloud bursts. Worth it tho.

*drips*

J
--

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2020, 02:07:55 pm »
If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break.

Or something.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2020, 02:22:13 pm »

Went out anyway, got soaked, 3 different cloud bursts. Worth it tho.

*drips*

J

I keep meaning to do the same, but then I think about cleaning the bike afterwards...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2020, 02:30:37 pm »

I keep meaning to do the same, but then I think about cleaning the bike afterwards...

Do what with the bike?

J
--

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2020, 03:45:42 pm »
Sorry, didn't mean to blaspheme.

« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:19:11 pm »
Only one waterproof jacket ?
I have several; as one gets replaced it's hung up and is brought out when it's needed.
Current "1st choice" is a Howies Long Way Home, I'm guessing it's 10 years old.
I have a Karrimor* waterproof that's past its best but still has a role if necessary. I reckon I've had it 20 years.

* My mum used to work for Karrimor, first at their Haslingden factory then in Accrington and, finally, in Clayton-Le-Moors. I took advantage of her "discount".

FWIW, my 1st job was making rucsac frames at the Haslingden factory when I turned 16. Great experience; 08.00-12.00 with a 30 minute break, Radio 1 on the "tannoy" as singles from Bat Out of Hell were hitting the charts.

Hhhhmm. I'm old, aren't I ?
On the positive side, I have a several of waterproof jackets because; old.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:39:32 pm »
yo, I don't know

Wax a chump like a candle.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:42:48 pm »
yo, I don't know

Finally someone has taken the bait!  I was starting to feel a bit lonely out there. (I am by no means a fan girl)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2020, 10:18:34 pm »
If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break.

Or something.

Seriously folks, if the levee's going to break, we've got nowhere to go.
Regardless of our waterproof (or not) jackets.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #12 on: 12 October, 2020, 07:38:03 am »
Yesterday I was wearing a 'waterproof' jacket that I bought in '89 when I started doing randonees again. It's used just for gardening and outside DIY as a windblock. My 'newest' such jacket is about 15 yo; the outdoor-type jackets are a bit younger in some cases.
The autumn hasn't, so far, been as bad as last year's - an extra month of the fields being usable and not such prolonged rain.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 12 October, 2020, 08:42:43 am »
yo, I don't know

Finally someone has taken the bait!  I was starting to feel a bit lonely out there. (I am by no means a fan girl)

Does no one cook MCs like a pound of bacon any more?

;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 12 October, 2020, 10:45:56 am »
Yesterday I was wearing a 'waterproof' jacket that I bought in '89 when I started doing randonees again. It's used just for gardening and outside DIY as a windblock. My 'newest' such jacket is about 15 yo; the outdoor-type jackets are a bit younger in some cases.
The autumn hasn't, so far, been as bad as last year's - an extra month of the fields being usable and not such prolonged rain.

My Waterproof is a Paramo jacket, and I got it I think in 2012. I've had the main zip replaced once, and it's now in to have all three zips replaced (it has 2 pit zips).

It's certainly lasted longer than any other waterproof jacket I've owned. Hopefully I should have it back by mid November.

J
--

ian

« Reply #15 on: 12 October, 2020, 10:51:29 am »
It was so sunny yesterday, we had ice creams.

Better than last Sunday when I got so soaked that my wellies filled up. I left them in the porch when I got home. A day or three later I stepped in there to get the post. Oh my god, the smell. Fortunately, they have washable linings so I ran and threw them in the washer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16 on: 12 October, 2020, 03:06:40 pm »
I was bellyaching earlier about wasting a good cycling day shopping, but it's raining now to that's all right.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 12 October, 2020, 05:05:14 pm »

My Waterproof is a Paramo jacket, and I got it I think in 2012. I've had the main zip replaced once, and it's now in to have all three zips replaced (it has 2 pit zips).

It's certainly lasted longer than any other waterproof jacket I've owned. Hopefully I should have it back by mid November.

J
You are listening to the BBC World Service. And now here is the long-range forecast for Northern Europe from the Meteorological Office in London. Low Q, currently centred over the Netherlands and Northern Germany, will be displaced by High G moving down from the Arctic, bringing with it a long settled period of very cold, dry weather. Average temperatures between now and New Year will hover around minus forty Fahrenheit. That's minus forty Celsius for our Continental friends. It won't be a White Christmas in Amsterdam for our jolly cog-wearing cousins across the Channel – far too dry for that! – but there will be skating on the canals and probably the streets too. As Low Q moves south under pressure from High G, it will take the rain with it, leading to extreme precipitation as it hits the Northern Alps. Our boffins have got their white coats on and their counting machines out and they're predicting record floods throughout the Lower Rhine valley and the Low Countries. The situation is of grave concern and the Prime Minister has deputised his Minister for Extraordinary Disasters, Mr Christopher Failing, to personally lead a flotilla of small margarine tubs to repatriate British Citizens stranded behind the sea walls and bring them back to safety in the Norfolk Broads and Somerset Levels.

And now here is the latest information on Her Majesty's Government's plans to deter migrants from making dangerous sea crossings in small boats...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: 12 October, 2020, 11:59:35 pm »

It would appear I'm not the only one who's been thinking this...

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1315776633715019776

J
--

« Reply #19 on: 13 October, 2020, 07:44:28 am »
Soon SAD will be here to join us.  Twelve days.
Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

« Reply #20 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:23:02 am »

I'm already getting out of bed in the dark every morning. Was just thinking this morning that I've got six months of this to look forward to. <weary sigh>

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #21 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:30:16 am »

I'm already getting out of bed in the dark every morning. Was just thinking this morning that I've got six months of this to look forward to. <weary sigh>
Me too.  Another week and I'll need the head torch again for the  morning dog walk, at least until the hour changes.  But then the dark will slowly creep back and it's mud and gloom all the way to April. And one of my classic Triumphs has been put to bed. The other's been allowed to stay up for a week or 2 as it's got a full tank of fuel that needs using up.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:35:19 am »
We have clear blue sky and 3°C this morning, and if we're very lucky then by 10am we should have 7° and fog.  30th September I did my last ride in summer kit, and I'll have done exactly two short rides in autumn kit before getting into full winter fig.  Bloody hell.  And on the first of those rides I got soaked.

Tain't no way to run a climate.

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 13 October, 2020, 10:22:02 am »
at least until the hour changes

Ah yes, I was forgetting that makes it lighter in the mornings rather than darker. Only a temporary fix though.

ian

« Reply #24 on: 13 October, 2020, 11:04:38 am »
I must be the person who likes Autumn, it's my favourite season. I like the slow descent into winter, the closing nights, the tick-tock of the heating system, the unearthing of coats and jackets from the wardrobe, the end of exposed toesyness in favour of boots. Winter is OK, but I'll admit it starts to drag, especially the British winters where it just rains, rains, rains. I like rain generally, there's nothing more splendid than a walk through a forest in the rain, but it has to be proper rain, not the constant slow water torture of the tail end of a British winter.

It's nice to have four seasons though. North America stutters between summer and winter, one day it's 30 degrees, the next -4. We always watch the Canadian weather in our house (there's an argument that this doesn't really help us prepare for the next day, but I know it's already snowing in upper BC and Alberta). In Britain we have a nice segue between seasons, they can sneak up on you. That's why you get the forecast refugees, standing there shivering on the platform at the station in shorts when it's 7 degrees and raining.

I'm not sure I could handle the tropics, where every day is hot, maybe a bit wetter, maybe not, but still hot.