Author Topic: So, what's your Mastodon address?  (Read 3762 times)

Re: So, what's your Mastodon address?
« Reply #25 on: 09 November, 2022, 10:10:36 am »
@natnot@mastodon.scot. I have no idea how this thing works. Where do I find the kittens?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 09 November, 2022, 10:11:26 am »
@elontusk@mastodon.twit

No one?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27 on: 09 November, 2022, 10:42:28 am »
@nuncio@mastodonapp.uk (for the time-being). It's like starting from scratch. But not quite. I think I'll feel free(er) to re-use my puns, even if it's a bit like punning into the void at the moment. I'm not sure I like the limited search.

No! I read them - and occasionally react.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #28 on: 09 November, 2022, 10:56:20 am »
@ravenbait@mastodon.social

Been there for years, before there were all these cool instances.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 09 November, 2022, 02:19:15 pm »
For the benefit of those who were wondering, I've trawled through github and tracked down this important piece of Mastodon history:

https://mastodon.social/@Hbomberguy/146524

(In which a famous YouTuber offers to financially support the author of a budding heffalump-themed social networking tool if he renames 'publish' to 'toot'.  Just to dispel the notion that anyone thought calling them toots was actually a good idea.)

« Reply #30 on: 09 November, 2022, 02:54:50 pm »
For the benefit of those who were wondering, I've trawled through github and tracked down this important piece of Mastodon history:

https://mastodon.social/@Hbomberguy/146524

(In which a famous YouTuber offers to financially support the author of a budding heffalump-themed social networking tool if he renames 'publish' to 'toot'.  Just to dispel the notion that anyone thought calling them toots was actually a good idea.)

I'd have thought "trumpet" would be better than "toot" - mind you, it would now be dangerously close to a much-execrated name, so maybe not...

OTOH, renaming "direct/private messages" to "trunk calls" would definitely get my vote.  :D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #31 on: 10 November, 2022, 12:10:51 pm »
@jiberjaber@mas.to   :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #32 on: 18 January, 2023, 04:16:27 pm »
Anyone still/active on Mastodon?  I registered last year, but not used it so far.  I notice that some people who 'disppeared' from twitter are posting links to Mastodon threads on twitter.  A bit quiet over there on ExtinctJumbo?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #33 on: 18 January, 2023, 05:23:30 pm »
Anyone still/active on Mastodon?  I registered last year, but not used it so far.  I notice that some people who 'disppeared' from twitter are posting links to Mastodon threads on twitter.  A bit quiet over there on ExtinctJumbo?

Eh?  My experience is the opposite.   Twitter is disappearing for me as people I used to follow have migrated.  I only maintain my account there as there are people (particularly local ones) who have remained.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #34 on: 18 January, 2023, 05:31:56 pm »

It's quieter than my twitter feed, but I am following about 90% fewer accounts on Mastodon.

Since twitter blocked 3rd party apps last week, I've basically stopped using twitter. Just Mastodon now.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 18 January, 2023, 05:34:28 pm »
Mastodon seems to be where most of the action is, and it's an all-round more pleasant experience (both from a usability and a people's behavior perspective).

The crossposter I'm using to duplicate my posts on twitter is going to die soon.  And they pulled the plug on the mobile app I use to access Twitter as part of the great API cull, so I'm likely to look there less and less often.  Weirdly, the desktop client I use is still working, probably because it hasn't been actively maintained since about 2015 and only three people actually use it.  It's readily apparent that Elon wants to make Twitter as unpleasant to use as possible, so I'm voting with my feet.

Meanwhile, https://bird.makeup/ allows you to follow twitter accounts (albeit in a read-only way) from Mastodon, which solves the @worldbollard @number10cat and assorted journalists problems.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #36 on: 18 January, 2023, 05:57:39 pm »

Meanwhile, https://bird.makeup/ allows you to follow twitter accounts (albeit in a read-only way) from Mastodon, which solves the @worldbollard @number10cat and assorted journalists problems.

Thanks Kim. That's going to be useful.

« Reply #37 on: 18 January, 2023, 07:44:46 pm »
Yes,  I can see a lot of cutting & pasting in my immediate future.  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #38 on: 18 January, 2023, 08:13:22 pm »
Has God moved to Mastodon?

« Reply #39 on: 18 January, 2023, 08:17:41 pm »

@TheTweetOfGod@universeodon.com     
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #40 on: 18 January, 2023, 08:34:40 pm »

Yes. But I've recently un-followed due to dullness.

« Reply #41 on: 18 January, 2023, 09:18:43 pm »

Yes. But I've recently un-followed due to dullness.
Me too.
It used to be a humorous diversion, now it's dull and 'merican politics.

There were only three accounts keeping me on Twitter - thanks to Kim's link I've now got them in my Mastodon feed.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #42 on: 18 January, 2023, 09:21:39 pm »
You must be referring to Gerald O'Donovan.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #43 on: 18 January, 2023, 11:19:44 pm »
I thought Mastodon was supposed to operate across servers, but for some reason I fail to find people with mastodon addresses (different servers) in twitter bio, when I search on mastodon.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #44 on: 18 January, 2023, 11:37:02 pm »
I thought Mastodon was supposed to operate across servers, but for some reason I fail to find people with mastodon addresses (different servers) in twitter bio, when I search on mastodon.

Assuming you're getting the address format correctl (it seems quite fussy about @s), it could be because their instance is blocked by your instance or something...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #45 on: 19 January, 2023, 01:31:17 am »

Assuming you're getting the address format correctl (it seems quite fussy about @s), it could be because their instance is blocked by your instance or something...

Often unless your instance indexes their instance, you will need to type the full @username@instance.social and hit enter. And it may take a few seconds to work. It gets there eventually, but caching can be... Interesting.

As for the original topic of the thread. I've now moved to social.v.st.  people can probably work it out from there.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #46 on: 19 January, 2023, 01:35:37 am »
Not sure I can be bothered with setting up on Mastodon, but had a look at the servers.  How does one choose?  Nothing local.

I went for one run by a friend I trust. He's guaranteed me a 9 5's uptime.

J
--

« Reply #47 on: 19 January, 2023, 09:12:29 am »
Not seamless for me.  Tried to follow some others with addresses on a different server, and it wanted me to login (PC) - which I could not do for some reason.  Then you also get "followers from other servers are not displayed'.   

ETA and can't even log in on the android app for chosen server...   ;D :facepalm:

ravenbait

• No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #48 on: 19 January, 2023, 06:20:41 pm »
I just use the web interface on both desktop and my android. I haven't got any special apps. Seems to work fine.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 19 January, 2023, 06:24:35 pm »
Not seamless for me.  Tried to follow some others with addresses on a different server, and it wanted me to login (PC) - which I could not do for some reason.

Are you by any chance trying to log into the person you want to follow's server, rather than your own?

To follow someone you should search for them on your own instance, and follow them there.