Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753728 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #2900 on: 17 March, 2012, 06:10:46 pm »
I shall be riding home from London again on Wednesday evening following that nice man Christophe's route.  This means I / we (depending on how many loons volunteer to accompany me) will be passing The Leatherbottle at Pleshey, The Compasses at Littlely Green and The Square and Compasses at Fuller Street.  As yet I am not sure what the ETA at any of these pubs will be.

Anyone fancy meeting up?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2901 on: 17 March, 2012, 09:43:35 pm »
I could be persuaded! Let us know times - maybe I'll ride down to meet you somewhere en-route.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2902 on: 18 March, 2012, 07:42:08 am »
I could be persuaded! Let us know times - maybe I'll ride down to meet you somewhere en-route.

Riding down the route might be the safest option and get you some extra miles  :thumbsup:  I've got your mobile number so if I think on I will drop you some texts as I / we progress.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #2903 on: 19 March, 2012, 09:45:26 am »
Equinox beer festival starting at Compasses on Thursday, I'll be dropping by there Thursday night, anyone else?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2904 on: 19 March, 2012, 10:09:17 am »
I shall be riding home from London again on Wednesday evening following that nice man Christophe's route.  This means I / we (depending on how many loons volunteer to accompany me) will be passing The Leatherbottle at Pleshey, The Compasses at Littlely Green and The Square and Compasses at Fuller Street.  As yet I am not sure what the ETA at any of these pubs will be.

Anyone fancy meeting up?
The committee has decided upon The Leather Bottle as the LWMWRH1 as the brief refreshment stop on Wednesday.
1. London to Witham Mid-Week Ride Home

I will be aiming for arrival in Pleshey about 20:30, maybe slightly earlier depending upon how thirsty I am.

Equinox beer festival starting at Compasses on Thursday, I'll be dropping by there Thursday night, anyone else?
Sorry, Bloomers!  I for one will be in my training phase by then leading up to our 200k ride on Saturday, so will pass on this Compasses beer festival  :o
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2905 on: 19 March, 2012, 08:42:27 pm »

Riding down the route might be the safest option and get you some extra miles  :thumbsup:  I've got your mobile number so if I think on I will drop you some texts as I / we progress.

HELP - route please!! Or at least the bit 10-15 miles south of the Leather Bottle...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2906 on: 20 March, 2012, 01:06:08 pm »

HELP - route please!! Or at least the bit 10-15 miles south of the Leather Bottle...

Here is our ROUTE for tomorrow night as kindly uploaded to Bike Route Toaster by Christophe.

« Reply #2907 on: 20 March, 2012, 03:02:46 pm »
BTW OD. What's wrong with my route from Littley Green back to Witham?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2908 on: 20 March, 2012, 03:58:41 pm »

It would take too long to type  ;D  Suffice to say mine is much nicer, we even saw a badger one night.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2909 on: 20 March, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »
Ummm...Bike Route Toaster as provided by Christophe via OD gives me a blank page and a non-functioning toolbar ??? This is probably my fault, but... :-[?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2910 on: 20 March, 2012, 06:20:37 pm »
Tom, the link works at my end so I'm not sure what the problem is. Sorry.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2911 on: 20 March, 2012, 07:20:23 pm »
What villages do you pass through on your way up: something like the DunRun route?

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #2912 on: 20 March, 2012, 07:33:53 pm »
Tom, the link works at my end so I'm not sure what the problem is. Sorry.

It's working in london  :thumbsup:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2913 on: 21 March, 2012, 09:20:29 am »
What villages do you pass through on your way up: something like the DunRun route?
Tomsk,
I've emailed you a map of the route section between Epping and Pleshey, let me know if you need more  :)

« Reply #2914 on: 21 March, 2012, 10:10:17 am »

It would take too long to type  ;D  Suffice to say mine is much nicer, we even saw a badger one night.

Don't talk to me about badgers. Vermin. Think I'll go up the A12 instead.

« Reply #2915 on: 21 March, 2012, 02:49:09 pm »
 :thumbsup:No it is all in the first line of your post

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #2916 on: 23 March, 2012, 08:27:30 am »
Went to the Compasses last night and met up with The Lesser Spotted Chief who was in the midst of a very detailed inspection that had started at lunchtime - good effort. There was a beer festival on with a selection of golden beers and dark beers, 14 in all I think. I had a honey blonde, a farmers blonde, and settled on a golden IPA who's name escpes me I'm afraid.

There's a good weekend of entertainment there.

« Reply #2917 on: 26 March, 2012, 12:47:09 am »
*waves*

Hi Folks,

Yes I've had dreadful attendance over the past few months due to a number reasons that I won't bore the internetz with

Good to catch up with Bloomers and Si (not yet of this parish - at least I don't think he is?!) at the Compasses on Thursday evening.  I must say I'd been waiting for their arrival since lunch time  ;D 

Well done Joss and the team for wining the CAMRA Chelmsford and Mid-Essex branch 2012 Pub of the Year  :thumbsup: http://www.chelmsfordcamra.org.uk/  We enjoyed his speech, nice to get so many words out of him  :P

What with yesterdays nice weather, the summer-bike came out of retirement and was taken for a blat around the local countryside.  What a ride it was, sun tanning conditions, unidentified flying insects spamming me hard on the forehead, ever evolving wind conditions and trying to remember that when out of the saddle this bike is significantly lighter than the commute bike - I've had two near-stacks from forgetting this so far  :-X

For quite some time I've been trying to complete a reasonable length ride on my own with an average speed of more than 20mpgh and finally, yesterday, I did it.  Well, 20.01mph to be exact  :D 

From the outset I intended to stop at the Compasses for a swift pint on the way home.  What I hadn't noticed was on this route it's near enough spot on 20 miles* from Howe Street:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=368909

While reviewing the Garmin after the ride and sipping on a lovely pint this got me thinking.  Would this make a suitable TT with a happy-ending?  Eitherway it's a route I'll be trying to improve my time on, just be nice if they could build a fly-over for the b1008 crossing

I'm not around this Wednesday but certainly hope to catch up with folk soon

chief

* apologies for such an imperialistic measurement

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2918 on: 26 March, 2012, 06:34:15 am »
 *Waves back*

Good to hear from you chief! 

The Current Mrs R caught me by surprise the other evening (I'm watching everyone sat at the back and I don't expect a single snigger so don't even think about it) by suggesting we cycle to The Compasses next Sunday :thumbsup:

« Reply #2919 on: 26 March, 2012, 07:21:04 pm »
 :thumbsup: I shall try to pop over

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2920 on: 26 March, 2012, 07:27:33 pm »
I can't manage Wednesday but might be able to sneak out on Thursday evening for a quick spin. Any thoughts anyone?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2921 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:06:41 pm »
Will consult the boss about Thursday, at least it gives the legs another day to recover from Saturday and gym tonight.

TCMH's back has taken another turn for the worse so is unlikely to be riding to The Compasses on Sunday but has said she might drive over to meet us there.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2922 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:41:41 pm »
Got to go to The Smoke on Thursday late afternoon/early evening; unlikely I'll be back in reasonable time :(

« Reply #2923 on: 27 March, 2012, 11:44:44 am »
Wednesday or Thursday's no good for me. Her indoors is going out two nights in a row(!!) so I'm baby sitting. Might bike it home on Friday if I feel like it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2924 on: 27 March, 2012, 06:08:40 pm »
Sorry, change of plan, I won't be available this week.