Author Topic: nextdoor.co.uk - anyone know anything?  (Read 1072 times)

nextdoor.co.uk - anyone know anything?
« on: 15 July, 2021, 10:54:42 pm »
I've just received a letter purporting to be from someone in a nearby street (the street is genuine enough, though I don't think I know the neighbour, who is identified only by Christian name).  I am addressed as Hi ....... ....... (street name) Neighbour, which is probably reasonable for a bulk mailing.  They give a website, which looks genuine enough (but so does mine and I'm a crook).  Does anyone know anything about this network, which seems on the face of it to be quite a reasonable community thing (though it claims to be international, too)?

Thanks

Peter.

Re: nextdoor.co.uk - anyone know anything?
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2021, 11:12:46 pm »
Thanks, Kim, I'll walk that way (probably not like an Egyptian!)

« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2021, 11:19:38 pm »
Hmmm.  I think I'll give it a miss on the grounds that I am likely to be the kind of person that people moan about.  In fact I moan about myself quite a lot - and that's enough!

Thanks, Kim

PS  You don't  want to buy a couple of used cats, do you?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 16 July, 2021, 08:16:18 am »
We have an active nextdoor group thing here - I did join briefly but it seemed to be overloaded with trivia, people thinking they have a "valuable service" micro-business and trying to promote it - and the odd vigilante picking up on all sorts of things.   In the 10 days or so that I belonged I think the only useful post I saw was about the gas people digging up the road which meant I had to go a different way from my house to town.

It also seemed to be leaky on data control - I received a number of directly attributable "offers" wthin hours of signing up [I seed my sign-up email addresses with  nnn-site@oneofmydomains so can identify instantly.]