Author Topic: How Do I ... DIY'S  (Read 5572 times)

jimbhoy

How Do I ... DIY'S
« on: 16 November, 2010, 04:31:14 pm »
Since i've joined AUK UK last year i would like to try and turn my rides into DIY'S, now being a complete newbie i've no idea how to go about this, i do quite a lot of solo rides 100k and up, but i can't make it to many official Audax events, so i'm hoping someone can enlighten me as to how i go about it, where to get/send Brevet cards, how to get control points sorted etc, any help greatly appreciated.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: How Do I ... DIY'S
« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2010, 04:35:09 pm »
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2010, 04:38:22 pm »
ask eck

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2010, 05:11:21 pm »
See here: How to plan a DIY ?
& here: DIY entry forms
It's all on the Audax website you just have to search for it like the rest of us  ;)

Edit: it's all on here somewhere too  ::-)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Billy Weir

« Reply #4 on: 16 November, 2010, 05:31:33 pm »
My first DIY was a little fraught as well.

The links you are being pointed to give you most of what you need to know.  In addition, when submitting, I suggest letting the organiser know it is your first one - they are fundamentally a helpful bunch provided you don't give them grief.  And submit well in advance of your intended ride date (at least two weeks) just in case there are issues that need sorting out.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2010, 08:55:30 pm »
ask eck

jimbhoy - YHPM

My first DIY was a little fraught as well.

The links you are being pointed to give you most of what you need to know.  In addition, when submitting, I suggest letting the organiser know it is your first one - they are fundamentally a helpful bunch provided you don't give them grief.  And submit well in advance of your intended ride date (at least two weeks) just in case there are issues that need sorting out.
<Billy Connolly> Oh, ye bloody think so?  >:( </BC>
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2010, 11:09:31 pm »
I did my first DIY by GPS on Sunday. Sent route to Alex beforehand - he said it was over 100. I rode it and sent the gpx file.

So far so good. Apart from annoying slow puncture for last 15 miles twas great.

The route planning will take me more practice and trying to design a 200 might be more challenging but so far so good.
Keep on keeping on.

« Reply #7 on: 17 November, 2010, 08:51:21 am »
When I started DIYs, I was nervous about creating routes and submitting them and found the Mesh planners very useful. All you then need to do is come up with a conservative estimate of the distance from your nearest ATM or 24hr garage onto/off the mesh and the rest of the planning is pretty much done for you.

A word of caution though, you will go over distance. As far as I can work out the mesh distances are rounded to easily calculable figures. There are two points that were close to where I lived where the advised 30k (or whatever it was) wasn't acheivable, even with a risky hop across  the central reservation of dual carriageway and a shortcut across a field.

The other alternative is to reduce your planning by doing an out and back route, thus only having to plan 100k.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #8 on: 17 November, 2010, 12:22:56 pm »
There's a page on the AUK site just for this  :)
Riding a DIY permanent by GPS.

Rich

jimbhoy

« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2010, 08:53:18 pm »

Rich

Many thanks for all the reply's and advice, i'll shall endeavour to keep you all updated on progress, p.s whats GPS  ;D

« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2010, 10:08:52 pm »
GPS

Guinness
Pies
Sauce  ;D
Keep on keeping on.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #11 on: 18 November, 2010, 12:19:44 am »

Rich

Many thanks for all the reply's and advice, i'll shall endeavour to keep you all updated on progress, p.s whats GPS  ;D

Non gps DIYs can be done in the same way.
Enter via the website online and send in the receipts to your organiser afterwards.

Rich