Author Topic: Oban-A85-Connel bridge advice please.  (Read 1601 times)

Oban-A85-Connel bridge advice please.
« on: 21 May, 2023, 04:09:03 pm »
Due to a change of plans, I am travelling to Oban on Wednesday, and will have a couple of days to potter about on my bike before rather than after the Scottish Orienteering Champs on Sat & Sun. That doesn't give me much planning time!
So, weather permitting, I need two short and not too demanding rides on decent roads/cyclepaths.
I live in the Pennines, so coast or loch or glen would be a nice change.
I was last in Oban 12 years ago - one day I took the little ferry to Lismore and had an excellent day exploring, so I will probably do that for one day.
The other day, I thought perhaps a ride along the North shore of Loch Etive to Archattan or Bonawe and back. But what is the best way to get across Connel Bridge? I know the cycleway from Oban to Dunbeg is OK, but then the A85 to Connel - is that stupid? The alternative, east and north through Barranrioch looks rather hilly?
Other thoughts are out and back up Glen Lonan or Glen Feochan?
All advice/suggestions welcome, but especially the Connel Bridge
Oh, and tearoom/cafe/veggie food recommendations would be useful
Thanks

Re: Oban-A85-Connel bridge advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2023, 04:33:56 pm »
I have cycled over the Connel bridge many times, it was part of the Daylight 600 ride. I do not recall any issues with it.  Keep an eye out for the Falls of Lora, which is where the tide flows in and out of the large Loch Etive, over a rock sill a few feet below sea level - one of the few places where the sea offers white-water paddling.

What you regard as "not too demanding rides on decent roads/cyclepaths" is a piece of string, the A82 over Rannoch Moor is scenic but has no cycle ath and can have busy fast traffic. The road either side of Loch Awe - single track - should be enjoyable, if you are happy with around 100km - there are no shorter decent round trips around there.

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2023, 05:24:46 pm »
Thanks,that's helpful, as I really didn't have any up-to-datye info on the A85.
I realised there was a lack of circular routes at the sort of distance/grade I want for this trip.
The aim is to chill out and not be too exhausted or injured before the orienteering!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2023, 01:44:43 pm »
The A85 is usually on, it's not as stupid buys as the A82 maybe avoid ferry unloading times (between mull traffic basically)

You can get the CalMac to the bottom of lismore then ride up to the top for the council ferry to port Appin (I think) then ride back using a mix of the road and the cycle track to Connel ferry, the options from there are all pretty good tbh

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2023, 10:26:40 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Your suggestion certainly looks a good route.
Maybe I'll see which way the wind is blowing...

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2023, 12:16:28 pm »
I have cycled over the Connel bridge many times, it was part of the Daylight 600 ride. I do not recall any issues with it.  Keep an eye out for the Falls of Lora, which is where the tide flows in and out of the large Loch Etive, over a rock sill a few feet below sea level - one of the few places where the sea offers white-water paddling.

What you regard as "not too demanding rides on decent roads/cyclepaths" is a piece of string, the A82 over Rannoch Moor is scenic but has no cycle ath and can have busy fast traffic. The road either side of Loch Awe - single track - should be enjoyable, if you are happy with around 100km - there are no shorter decent round trips around there.
I've been through the Falls of Lora on a boat. It was certainly spicy, and I've been through the Corrie more times than a t-shirt from the Loch Melfort hotel.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2023, 02:13:24 pm »
Thanks to folks who helped with local knowledge.
It was too hot to be at all ambitious....
As planned, first day I took the ferry from Oban to Lismore and rode South. This time I found the correct track to the very south west - Port an Rubha, just across from the lighthouse - which was beautiful and deserted. It was very hot, so I just pottered about looking at archeology sites, then back to the village shop for water. On to the Heritage Centre for lunch, and surprised to see about 20 bikes of all types parked outside. I knew that a bike hire business had opened at the north of Lismore, and now a lot of folks come over on the foot ferry from Appin, hire a bike and get as far as the Heritage Centre and back - about 6 miles in all! The food was very good - interesting options for special diets/fussy eaters and all prepared to order by two chefs. Three or more serving staff, so also very quick even though this was a sunny Bank Holiday Saturday. Indoor and terrace seating, bikes in view, highly recommended.
Having looked round the museum, and chatted to staff/volunteers, I decided there was enough history/archeology to keep me interested if I came back the next day. There have been archeological digs the last few years, with some exciting results.
So that's what I did. Rode to the North ferry point then dawdled back checking out all the side roads, brochs, cathedral site etc.
So a low stress, low mileage couple of days which was just what I needed.
Hope to do the Oban - Lismore - Appin - Connel loop another time.
Thanks again.