Author Topic: Conwy (North Wales) valley rides?  (Read 1356 times)

Conwy (North Wales) valley rides?
« on: 12 July, 2023, 10:08:57 am »
Anyone have suggestions for a few <100km rides from /around Conwy valley area in North Wales?  Possibly incorporating some good climbs, mainly minor roads, with some 32mm tyre doable track content OK too... :)  West side of Conwy river, is very hilly (cambrian way extension), but east between LLanwrst <-> Denbigh?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Conwy (North Wales) valley rides?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2023, 12:42:31 pm »
A great circular ride starts from Conwy town and heads south on the west side of the river via Rowen and Llandedr y Cenin to Betws-y-Coed. This isn't too hilly and has very little traffic. Then head up the A5 to Capel Curig and towards Bethesda, passing Llyn Ogwen, through some great scenery. Again, traffic volumes are usually light and much of the climb up to Capel Curig has a climbing lane, so vehicles can pass you without getting frustrated. From Bethesda to the outskirts of Bangor there is a great path through the woods, which connects with NCN5 to bring you back to Conwy. The trip is about 85km, and one of my favourites.

« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2023, 03:53:41 pm »
Yes, similar. There's a new shared path on the north side of the A55 between Llandygai and Abergwyngregryn which avoids the small climb via Crymlyn. The new path is yet to feature on Open Street Map, hence most route planning apps do not show it.

« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2023, 05:05:13 pm »
Thanks.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #5 on: 13 July, 2023, 11:26:08 pm »
The Cestyll Cymru and Legend of Gelert Audax events went roughly that way too. The route sheet and GPXs still seem to be available on the Facebook group. I always fancied riding because my mother-in-law lives about half a mile from the start, but sadly I couldn't find a year when the weekend would work :'(

I like the B5106 up the west side of the valley from Betws-y-Coed (I did that as part of a loop starting by going south from Colwyn Bay on the B5113). If you're prepared to stretch a point and drive south to Bala, the roads from there and around Lake Vyrnwy are where I did some of my first real cycling.