Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 302637 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What happens if you use Win+(Left Or Right)Arrow to snap the window to one side of the screen? Or does that not work in Incopy either?

Equally Windows Key + Up Arrow should be maximise to screen size and Windows Key + Down Arrow should be return to a smaller floating window.

It works! Yay! Thanks, both.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Hurrah!  I haz phones & base station for VOIP and can thus pension off my BT copper string :thumbsup:
Bah!  Or rather I can when the immovable object of BT succumbs to the irresistible force of A&A, which could take ages >:(

Hurrah!  Bye-bye BT.  Well, apart from their FTTP line, obv.
Bah!  Sub-desk grovelling required to remove BT phones'n'Stuffs.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
So-called “Quiet” PC has taken to making an annoying buzzing noise.  Which is a tad worrying as it ent got any moving parts inside >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
So-called “Quiet” PC has taken to making an annoying buzzing noise.  Which is a tad worrying as it ent got any moving parts inside >:(

DANGER! BEES!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

DANGER! BEES!

Switched it off overnight.  Blessèd silence on restart…

… for about three minutes :'(  Power supply?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Would be my guess.  Any inductor can be a moving part if it's feeling vindictive enough.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Tilt box gently ten degrees to starboard.  Return to vertical.  Noise stops.

Threat level: cautious optimism.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Bah.

One of the pair of 1920 x 1080 monitors on my desk has expired.
PSU failure.

Thought I might attempt a repair, but my success rate with SMPSes is less than 50%.
Internal fuse blown, bridge rectifier OK, main switching MOSFET shorted. Other discrete semiconductors seemed OK. Impossible to test the controller ICs.
Replaced MOSFET and fuse. Power on.
*POP*!
Fuse and MOSFET dead again.

That's that, then. Bin time.
Got a spare monitor of different dimensions in use for the time being.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
No, look, really Windows, or Seagate, or whoever.  I am trying to copy lots and lots of very small files from a PC to Mr Seagate's indescribably ancient NAS, which is mounted as a network location because of its age an consequent reluctance to attach itself as an actual drive.  So there is no need to conk out halfway through telling me I'm no longer logged into the wretched NAS.

Bah >:(

ian

Señor Larrers, I have – for a long time – harboured the suspicion that you are, in fact, a primitive version of the internet. The version that came after the one where two people yelled 'not that disk, the other one' at each other.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
ph3@r mi l33t 5k1llz!

I'm looking for how to use a Shelly 1+ with sensor add on to switch on and off by temperature.  It was dead easy to setup, less so to identify how to control, so I went searching. Ah-ha! thunk I, here's a site written by someone who had loadsa problems getting their Shellys to work, I'm sure that will be a help

https://shellyspain.com/

:facepalm:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
That's a bit like that site all about ian's Morris Ital.
It is simpler than it looks.

I finally found what was changing my Word documents language tools (spelling, review etc) to French. Halfway through a document this would suddenly start happening and once it started you had to manually set it back to English for every paragraph from then on. its been happening for a couple of years and with all our company templates for our department.

Found it today in the formatting for a low level flaming section header. Removed "French" from that and now the whole document stays in English.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Phone handset, why were you configured to using line 2 which in my case I have not got?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Managed to teach VOIP phone all about BST :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I had to teach the fridge about BST last night.

To be fair, it performs all internal calculations using unisex epochs, like dog intended (they might even be 64-bit ones - ask me again in 2038), but I neglected to account for DST changes in the code that generates the graph labels, erroneously assuming that hours incremented sequentially.

ETA: I had to teach the fridge more things about about BST again tonight.  I'd accidentally used mktime() out of habit where I should have used timegm(), with hilarious consequences in the event of trying to update the price of anbarism between the hours of midnight and 1am.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I wouldn’t mind so much about all this phone malarkey but if I'd known A&A's promise to set up all the hardware before they bunged it in the post was a Big Fat Lie I'd have bought the hardware somewhere else and saved about forty quid >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I wouldn’t mind so much about all this phone malarkey but if I'd known A&A's promise to set up all the hardware before they bunged it in the post was a Big Fat Lie I'd have bought the hardware somewhere else and saved about forty quid >:(

I've had three pieces of hardware from them over the years.  One was an ADSL modem, which spoke PPPoE by default and required no configuration, but came with a handy sticker explaining as much.  Another was a deck of playing cards (freebie courtesy of one of RevK's side quests), which didn't speak PPPoE, but also required no configuration.  The latest was whatever router they're giving away with 12 months of FTTP, which I didn't really need, but reckoned might come in handy as a backup.  This was configured out of the box (PPPoE, Devil's Radio and all), and satisfied the Kelly engineer, who was stressed from misconfiguration at the exchange and having narrowly avoided drilling through our mains wiring, and didn't seem like the type who'd appreciate "it's a PFSense box in the rack upstairs".

Our VOIP phones are e-Bay issue Snom 300s (with those horrible inline Sarabec amplifiers), because I'm a tightarse and am unwilling to spend real money on tellingbones that don't even go up to 11.  Configuring anything SIP related is inherently type-2 fun, so I reckon you got a raw deal there.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
They don’t even tell you that the base station has a webby interface, no, I had to figure all that Stuffs out by osmosis.

And they didn’t give me a router when I switched to FTTP either :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
And they didn’t give me a router when I switched to FTTP either :-\

It was a tickybox option on the order wossname, if you agreed to commit to 12 months IIRC.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Come on, laptop!  All I'm asking is for 3966 instances of FINDSTR from the command line.  What’s taking you so long, eh?

In an idle moment, I was thinking about Chrome, as one does, and how you can access stuff through the internal URL calls, like chrome://extensions and chrome://system. I wondered to myself, was there a list of them? And of course there is, accessible through a URL chrome://about. Gosh what a lot there are are! And look! chrome://dino ..... what's that?

In an idle moment, I was thinking about Chrome, as one does, and how you can access stuff through the internal URL calls, like chrome://extensions and chrome://system. I wondered to myself, was there a list of them? And of course there is, accessible through a URL chrome://about. Gosh what a lot there are are! And look! chrome://dino ..... what's that?
The dinosaur game appears when it can't load the page, ie if it doesn't have an internet connection. I often play it on my phone.

That is my day lost...