Author Topic: Rubbing from seams between groin and navel after >200km - any hot tips?  (Read 1092 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter

Had this problem particularly on my last 400s and 600s. My bib shorts have a seam at the junction between the shorts and shoulder straps bit, and this over the distance seems to effect a painful rub.

Does anyone have any hot tips on how to control this? Some ideas so far are:

A. Investing in some boutique pair of super shorts or even an all-in-one which don't have a seam in this part of the body, to use in proper big rides - which isn't preferred because I'm not in a tip top financial position right now.

B. Hope that chammy cream or bodyglide (which I used to use in long distance rowing) might resolve the problem

C. Sew something on the inside of a pair of shorts (???).
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Phil W

The picture (which I was afraid the click on) shows the outside of the seam, not the bit against the body.  But having said that could you cut and glue some silk across the seam. Silk is very smooth and slides across the skin.  The alternate is a band of silk that goes round the body and you position under the seam.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Looking again, it's not the seam that holds the chammy to the shorts - it's the seam at the top of the 'shorts' bit, kind of at the junction. Will update the OP shortly...

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Ben T

I wear waist shorts. Bibs aren't mandatory...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Do you not wear a base layer that covers there?  I don't think any of my shorts have such a seam

ETA: Actually just checked, some do some don't, none give me any irritation there though
Regards,

Joergen

What about putting an Elastoplast on your skin.

I've found micropore tape great to cover a similar seam on some of my bibs that niggles the small of my back when I don't have a base layer on.

I checked both pairs of bibs I own (1 Gore, 1 cheapo Aldi) and they both have the lumpy part of the seam on the outside and minimal protruding stitching on the inside.