Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2470685 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5200 on: 27 February, 2012, 09:21:36 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, but alas I'm not M. Le Stack. This was taken after PBP 2007: I wasn't in PBP 2011 thanks to an unfortunate development during the 600k that prompted frequent hasty excursions into the bushes. 2015, maybe...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #5201 on: 28 February, 2012, 12:17:48 pm »
Early 80's Dave Yates bought of Tiermat.  Shimano 105 compact groupset except for the tektro deep drop calipers, Ritchey seatpost 26.8mm, fsa bar/stem & mavic aksium wheels/tyre combo.

Still need to set up the brakes & gears & just bought a campagnolo seat pin bolt & a black fsa stem cap.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #5202 on: 28 February, 2012, 12:24:50 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, but alas I'm not M. Le Stack. This was taken after PBP 2007: I wasn't in PBP 2011 thanks to an unfortunate development during the 600k that prompted frequent hasty excursions into the bushes. 2015, maybe...

Sorry, I was being too cryptic ;). I have seen your bike on another forum, along with your recent purple bike project.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #5203 on: 28 February, 2012, 02:16:27 pm »
Puegeot but not sure of the year but he picked it up from a guy for a ridiculously small amount of cash with it having about 10 miles on the clock from new. He will be able to tell manufacture year as frame number is very clear on top of BB. Original decals labelling and supplier logos. Not a particularly special frame (carbon steel 103) but in outstanding condition.

Peugeot frame dating is an art form.

Unlike manufacturers like Carlton and such, they do not follow a pattern for year/month of manufacture, so you need to go on:
Headtube badge
Downtube graphics
Component dating.
About twenty years ago I met someone who'd got an approximate date by sending photos & a description to Peugeot. They wrote back regretting that they didn't have any records of that frame type, but they did know when they'd stopped making them, & would he please accept the enclosed (new photo)copy of their catalogue from the following year, which included some of the components on his bike. They hoped that he'd find it useful.

The catalogue was dated 1890.  :thumbsup:

He'd restored the bike rather beautifully, & kept all the usable original components. It was a very fine Ordinary.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5204 on: 28 February, 2012, 05:15:25 pm »
There's plenty of old Peugeot catalogues on the web, but it seems they changed the names, paintjobs, graphics and components drastically from country to country. I just tried to find the model (or equivalent) I had in 1989 but couldn't find it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5205 on: 29 February, 2012, 07:51:15 am »

Sorry, I was being too cryptic ;). I have seen your bike on another forum, along with your recent purple bike project.

And I was being obtuse - should have made the connection. Put it down to the plague.  Nice to see ya.

Elmer le Stack would be a nifty nom-de-plume, if you'll pardon the pun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5206 on: 03 March, 2012, 10:02:16 am »
Fungus that is a lovely bike.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #5207 on: 03 March, 2012, 03:32:13 pm »
Not much, but it's mine. And for once it's vaguely clean (unlike the patio, before anyone comments):

« Reply #5208 on: 03 March, 2012, 04:53:21 pm »
At last I have the replacement for the Miffy Bike in full running order.  It's a lovely light Terry Dolan built Cougar frame in 531c with chromed 653 forks.  I've just replaced the stem and bars with some NOS kit from Planet-X.  The wheels are 105 hubs on Mavic Open SUP rims, bought second hand on a precursor to this forum.  Running as a singlespeed conversion at the moment - that's what Son#1 wanted, and it's the bike he uses on those rare occasions that he rides anything.

cougar by PaulRide, on Flickr

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5209 on: 05 March, 2012, 07:33:21 am »

But all my bikes have names!

Arfur?

(Arfur bike. Geddit? Oh, suit yourselves.)

I have decided to (nearly) follow Paul's suggestion (as validated by WhizzBang in a later post) and name the bike Arthur, I decided not to go for the phonetic spelling.  Decals will be made up shortly and duly stuck on Arthur's cross bar.

Arthur's ability to fold in two and become Arthur a Bike have proved useful so far.  We have had one ride out of London, with the second ride this Wednesday.  And last Wednesday, he got folded up and popped in the car boot for a trip to Wales.  We did a 30 mile loop from Cardiff.  Due to navigational errors on my behalf the ride was slightly more exciting than planned and we ended up on a muddy farm track, on a shut off dual carriage way and a long road tunnel  ::-)

Here we see Arthur out on manoeuvres yesterday.  The Alfine 8-speed hub proved more than up to ascending The Mighty North Hill.  Behind Arthur you can see one of the four North Hill pigs ...

My glove is on the ground as one of the pigs nearly had it off the rack!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5210 on: 06 March, 2012, 09:01:08 am »
Picked up my new n+1 last night

Pugsley 1 by paulfulford, on Flickr

EDITLet me know if you can't view the picture as I'm hosting them somewhere new moved to Flickr so should be visible

I've started a thread here for the progress :)

AndyK

« Reply #5211 on: 06 March, 2012, 04:20:09 pm »
This year's incarnation:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5212 on: 06 March, 2012, 04:36:29 pm »
Nice! How do you find the butterfly bars? The few times I've used them, I hated them - but they were plastic(!!!) on a downright weird bike.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

AndyK

« Reply #5213 on: 06 March, 2012, 05:04:42 pm »
I bought it new in 2009 and it looked like this:

But after a while I found the straight bar a bit limiting, so I switched to drops:

After another while I realised I was very rarely using the drops so I switched to bullhorns:

But there still wasn't enough variation in position, so I went for a set of fully adjustable Humpert Ergotec adjustable butterfly bars, and haven't looked back.  ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5214 on: 06 March, 2012, 05:46:45 pm »
But you haven't yet tried North Road, moustache or tri-bars!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5215 on: 06 March, 2012, 09:10:32 pm »
The Rohloffed tourer has had some modifications; it's been magic-geared and it's got the Kinesis fork from my light bike:-

12-02-29 Enigma/Rohloff/ Kinesis DC19 LHS by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

12-02-29 Enigma/Rohloff/ Kinesis DC19 RHS by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

12-02-29 Enigma/Rohloff rack mounting RHS 3 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

« Reply #5216 on: 06 March, 2012, 09:28:54 pm »
Chains a bit  :o :o :o ::-)

« Reply #5217 on: 06 March, 2012, 09:36:25 pm »

I knew someone would say that  ;)

Surely I'm allowed since it's a hub-gear and not a fixie ?

« Reply #5218 on: 06 March, 2012, 10:06:33 pm »

Be grateful no one has commented (yet) on the state of mortaring, the slabs, and the leaves....

Frere

« Reply #5219 on: 06 March, 2012, 10:16:42 pm »

Have it as slack as you like.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5220 on: 06 March, 2012, 10:27:53 pm »
No! You can still lose the chain on a singlespeed or hub geared bike and whilst not as severe as on fixed it can still be 'interesting'. I lost mine once on my singlespeed on 6th Avenue in New York, not an experience I'm keen to repeat. The chain still needs to be tight, not so much that you mash the freewheel bearings but tight enough not to come off unless you want it to. About 1/2" movement when the chain is slackest.

« Reply #5221 on: 06 March, 2012, 10:40:56 pm »

Be grateful no one has commented (yet) on the state of mortaring, the slabs, and the leaves....

Frere

well I was going to mention the efflorescence on the brickwork, but it doesn't look that bad ;D

« Reply #5222 on: 07 March, 2012, 11:53:53 am »
The wall is the responsibility of the landlord but I'm going to have to investigate the chain..............

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5223 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:28:52 pm »
This has been seen before on here but this year's version now sports a rack and a shorter stem . . .

The Saddle of StanTM has been consigned to the spares bin and will be recycled onto a sales bike. The Flux is a kind of Charge Spoon clone which feels good on a little shakedown pootle without padded shorts or SPD shoes

The shorter stem makes the bike feel much better.

The fence isn't mine and last saw paint about 3 years ago but if I don't paint it, no bugger will!

ETA: Having just seen the pictures I'll redo them with the camera ASAP to replace the crappy phone images. Sorry.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5224 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:32:51 pm »

Lily, my Dawes Galaxy, in Brighton after doing the FNRttC :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.