Author Topic: Wahoo + POI problems  (Read 3801 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Wahoo + POI problems
« on: 10 August, 2018, 01:13:58 am »
I've tried adding POI's to a GPX track, I originally added them on Ride with GPS, exported the GPX Track, imported that into my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, And they all seem to just have the location of the start of the track.

I have a GPX from randonneurs.nl, which has waypoints for controls in there, and these work with the wahoo, in the GPX file they look like:

<wpt lat="52.639304017648101" lon="5.059494031593204">
    <ele>5.32809</ele>
    <time>2018-08-11T10:51:07Z</time>
    <name>01-CP_Hoorn</name>
    <cmt>Vrije Controle Roode Steen Hoorn</cmt>
    <desc>Vrije Controle Roode Steen Hoorn</desc>
    <sym>City (Large)</sym>
    <extensions>
      <gpxx:WaypointExtension xmlns:gpxx="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3">
        <gpxx:DisplayMode>SymbolAndName</gpxx:DisplayMode>
      </gpxx:WaypointExtension>
    </extensions>
  </wpt>

As the POI from ride with GPS didn't work, I tried hand crafting it, originally with:

<wpt lon="4.843838" lat="52.559971">
    <name>Drinking water</name>
    <cmt>Drinking Water</cmt>
    <desc>Drinking Water</desc>
    <sym>Dot</sym>
  </wpt>

Which didn't work,

So now I've tried:

<wpt lon="4.843838" lat="52.559971">
    <ele>0.926501</ele>
    <time>2018-08-11T09:14:46Z</time>
    <name>Drinking water</name>
    <cmt>Drinking Water</cmt>
    <desc>Drinking Water</desc>
    <sym>City (Large)</sym>
    <extensions>
      <gpxx:WaypointExtension xmlns:gpxx="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3">
        <gpxx:DisplayMode>SymbolAndName</gpxx:DisplayMode>
      </gpxx:WaypointExtension>
    </extensions>
  </wpt>

Which is basically copy paste of the way point mark up for the control, but with the lat/long changed. That didn't work.

Then I noticed that the lon and lat the wrong way round. So I swapped that in all the points. And no difference.

I don't understand how the wpt data that I got from the ride organizer works, yet the same tags, just with the text, and lat/long changed, doesn't work. What am I missing? Anyone else had these issues?

On a related note, any idea why a POI added in Ridewithgps, that is then synced direct from RWGPS to the bolt, doesn't seem to have work either?

Cheers

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Wahoo + POI problems
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2018, 09:46:49 am »
Your last example but with the lat and lon transposed looks OK to me.  It is very important to get all the tagged elements in the 'right' order, and that order is not very intuitive - eg <ele> must come before <time> must come before <name> which does seem a bit weird.
Your waypoints must all fall after the <metadata> section of the GPX but before any other component (such as routes or tracks).

You could try removing the <time> element altogether in case the timestamp is in conflict with one elsewhere in the GPX.  None of the elements (apart from the lat and lon) are absolutely required, though obviously the ones you have included are all useful.
You could check the header of your GPX which will contain some 'bounds' data - maxlat, minlat, maxlon, minlon - your waypoint lats and lons should of course fall within these (easy to edit the bounds in the header to extend them).

Incidentally a <sym> of City (Small) translates to a very small dot, useful if you want to declutter what you see, it's smaller than no <sym> at all which defaults to a bigger dot or a flag or a pin - OTOH to actually flag a waypoint I like to use a <sym> of Bike Trail, which on a Garmin gives a clear but compact red square with a little cyclist superimposed.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2018, 10:16:24 am »
Do all of the waypoints have unique names? If you try loading several points with the same name, it probably won't work. Or one will overwrite the other.

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2018, 09:48:01 pm »
I've tried adding POI's to a GPX track, I originally added them on Ride with GPS, exported the GPX Track, imported that into my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, And they all seem to just have the location of the start of the track.

I have a GPX from randonneurs.nl, which has waypoints for controls in there, and these work with the wahoo, in the GPX file they look like:

Can you share the said GPX file (or a link) ? Would be easier to understand and experiment

Thanks

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2019, 09:38:08 am »
Did this ever get resolved?  I've tried adding POI's (audax controls) to RidewithGPS routes and they never actually work on the Bolt.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2019, 09:56:25 am »
Are the POIs on the track or away from it?

« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2019, 10:26:40 am »
On the track.
The sound of one pannier flapping