Author Topic: Satmap Active 12 claims elevation accurate to one metre  (Read 3715 times)

321up

• 59° N
Satmap Active 12 claims elevation accurate to one metre
« on: 09 September, 2014, 03:57:17 pm »
This sounds good:

"Accuracy to one metre - fantastic height elevation data"

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/gps-devices/walking/gps-device-satmap-active-12.html

Has anyone tried it yet?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Satmap Active 12 claims elevation accurate to one metre
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2014, 04:13:46 pm »
Is that any better at elevation than, say, an eTrex 30, which also has a barometric altimeter?

(Here it is getting the height spot-on on the trig point at the top of Snowdon.)

Indeed, the eTrex can use GLONASS for a better fix with less sky, which the Satmap doesn't mention supporting...

Elevation accuracy aside, it looks like a decent handheld device for looking at OS maps on (in as much as any handheld can be, you really need a tablet to appreciate an OS map, I reckon).  The eTrex can do this, but the screen is far too small, and bitmap maps don't zoom usefully.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2014, 05:15:10 pm »
Maybe "fantastic height elevation data" means it is using a digital elevation model? If so, what is the horizontal resolution of that?

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2014, 05:32:54 pm »
Maybe "fantastic height elevation data" means it is using a digital elevation model? If so, what is the horizontal resolution of that?

If it does that then it would also be prone to elevation errors due to GPS position inaccuracy (particually on steep hill sides) or if you are above ground level (e.g. on a high bridge).  More research needed...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2014, 06:27:36 pm »
See what Apple are busy announcing....barometric altimeters in new iPhones. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2014, 06:59:33 pm »
See what Apple are busy announcing....barometric altimeters in new iPhones.

Android phones have had barometric altimeters for years, it's a pity there's not much software that uses them.  I'm using an Android app to log barometric pressure etc on rides, but I've not yet written a script to convert the CSV file into GPX format.