Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Not a general solution, but because it's eminently useful to be able to do this sort of thing:

When I was up in the forest earlier and stopped to get my phone out, none of my mapping apps showed where I was - OS Maps, Google Maps, Apple Maps :-[ (well they sort of did but no mapping was available)

The phone determining its location, and being connected to the internet are different things.

Therefore, if you use a mapping app that stores the map data on the phone itself, rather than fetching tiles over the internet as needed to display them, it will solve this problem.  Some of the above apps can be persuaded to make a local copy of an area if you tell it to download it in advance, but I prefer to use one that's designed to be used this way.

https://organicmaps.app/  is a good start, on account of being free.
For your phone, try Organic Maps. Can download maps for the whole country, then works offline.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Beethoven's 9th Symphony, 7th May 1824
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 11:46:37 pm »
I did say "arguably". My own person preference would be something by J S. Bach - by coincidence, this year is the 300th anniversary of the first performance of the St. John Passion. I think most Bach scholars would go for the B minor mass.

But bear in mind that recordings of the Brandenburg concerti - which lay undiscovered on a dusty shelf until 100 years after Bach's death - were sent into space by NASA in the Voyager spacecraft.
Rides and Touring / Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Last post by psyclist on Today at 11:32:20 pm »
ETA: Black Lion it is then!  :thumbsup:
  I'll aim for 20:00 and something to eat...

I’ll aim for 8pm too
The Pub / Re: Dez's funeral - 3rd May, 1pm.
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 11:23:38 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Gkmyi-jhx-g&ab_channel=joshmantube

Some have said they couldn't hear the voices clearly. There's the recording of the service with a transcript (with suitable mistakes).
I have been in a line of cyclists where the first and third riders had no issues without deviating their speed or direction but a squirrel bounced off the front wheel of the second rider. It is pretty easy for a collision course to only affect one rider.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Woofage on Today at 11:20:54 pm »
Too Drunk to Fuck - Dead Kennedys
On The Road / Re: Cyclist who knocked down and killed pensioner
« Last post by Peter on Today at 11:17:27 pm »
True.  In addition, if we want cycling to be taken seriously, bikes must be considered and treated as vehicles when they are sharing the road, and that includes speeding restrictions.  It can't be left up to cyclists (who are just people on bikes, no more or less intelligent than people in general) to decide what is too fast.

Had I actually studied the reports, I might have worded this differently.  Sorry if I have given the wrong impression, though I still believe my sentiments to be correct in general.  Thank you all for not jumping down my throat!
On The Road / Re: Cyclist who knocked down and killed pensioner
« Last post by Veloman on Today at 11:01:36 pm »
And yet the 2 cyclists in front of Fitzgerald managed to avoid the pedestrian.

And yet despite the front two in the paceline nearly missing her, the pedestrian didn’t get out of the way.

Momentum, and no time.

Nearly missing?

My understanding is first 2 riders in the line completely avoided a collision. Fitzgerald collided with pedestrian and judging by comments with quite some force in terms of injuries sustained.

Seems strange for 3rd man to collide while others managed to completely avoid and even stranger nobody appears to have shouted a warning to the pedestrian or to others in the cycling line.
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Going VOIP - losing the landline
« Last post by StuAff on Today at 10:59:14 pm »
Had CityFibre install FTTP last week (Openreach haven't got round to doing Pompey yet). Back when I got Openreach FTTC (Plusnet as ISP), that went on a second line, splitter in the front hallway then a cable run to the master socket in an upstairs bedroom (the IT department  ;D  ). CF were happy to run the fibre to the bedroom. If they hadn't been, I'd just have had the ONT downstairs and run ethernet to the router.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10