Author Topic: Old pianos  (Read 11452 times)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Re: Old pianos
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2018, 11:57:53 am »
Arising out of the above, the February 9th visit has now been moved to 13th March, then 3rd April, 17th April and now he finds he's short-staffed and has pushed it onto 22nd May. I have let him know that I am extremely pissed off, not least because the piano's dampers still aren't as they should be (some of them allow notes to continue just a fraction of a second too long) and there are one or two slightly "tinny" notes in a piano which otherwise has a beautifully mellow tone. Also, the terms of the 5 year guarantee are that it is tuned not less than every 6 months, by a tuner recommended by them, with a first tuning recommended at 3 months. When he came in November, which was about 7 weeks after it was delivered, it didn't need tuning, and it's not badly out of tune now - apparently Bl├╝thner pianos have excellent stability - but it comes to something when the man himself finds he can't meet the terms of his own guarantee. He has also griped that it is a very long way to come - well, the distance between Oxford & Southend hasn't become any greater since he sold the bloody thing to me. His website boasts of a customer near Lands End. I wonder what sort of after-sales service that guy got?

He has given me dispensation to get another tuner in, so I will contact Val Hodgson, who last tuned my Bechstein before it went to Maidstone.

The conclusion I have drawn is that Roberts Pianos of Oxford sell wonderful pianos but that they are really shit at after sales service.
Basses lower the tone.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2018, 08:48:43 pm »
We're just back from Welsh Wales but David perused the Piano Auctions website last night. There was an auction on April 12. Seems there was WIDE disparity 'twixt valuation and hammer price for some items, though some were spot on.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2018, 10:19:35 am »
Eventually Marcus Roberts arrived in late June and did some work to improve the damping.

We have another appointment set up for tomorrow. I had an email from him dated 26th June to say that he has 'put that in the diary and we look forward to seeing you then" but nothing since. I asked Jan whether she thought that I should send him a reminder / ask what time he's coming but she said "No. Let him fail to keep the appointment."
Basses lower the tone.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2018, 10:41:59 am »
Good grief! An email to say he will be here between 9 and 11!
Basses lower the tone.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2018, 04:20:37 pm »
And he's been and gone. I reckon the piano is pretty much perfect now. There was glue and some new damper felts. It really is a pleasure to play, without the occasional steel drum/ waa-waa guitar after-tones on a few of the notes around middle C. It has taken 10 months...
Basses lower the tone.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2018, 04:59:02 pm »
Sounds like you're on the home straight now, thankfully!

We had 18 months of unhappiness before our Kawai arrived, nearly two years ago. Being new, it hasn't settled completely yet.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2018, 11:53:08 pm »
My limited experience of Kawais is that they are very good pianos.

I have been celebrating my piano now being pretty much as it should be by playing Bach. Lots of Bach.
Basses lower the tone.