Author Topic: Long shot - PBP lift share request  (Read 1910 times)

Tom

Long shot - PBP lift share request
« on: 06 April, 2023, 02:09:33 pm »
I appreciate I'm entering the realms of fantasy here, but just wondering if anyone is planning on driving to rambouillet via the Newhaven-dieppe route and has room for one more (plus bike) in return for petrol money and a willingness to share the driving?

I've been crunching the numbers as best I can and, based on a saturday 5.30am sailing from Dieppe,  it's looking like a 180km ride or a 7hr train journey via Amiens! All other public transport routes that I could find through my admittedly limited searching involve bus travel or a train that leaves Dieppe before I'll get there.

I'm off in the last of the 84h waves (0600 on sun morning) but obviously happy to get there earlier. And I live 5k from Newhaven, so could meet there.

Thanks in advance!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: Long shot - PBP lift share request
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2023, 03:12:04 pm »
I haven't booked any accommodation yet, but I expect to be driving, as 1) I don't fancy adding extra cycling distance  2) getting the bike there by eurostar or plane requires boxing.

at this stage expecting to stay somewhere near Versailles, as Rambouillet is booked up.

of course there is no guarantee I will complete qualification but there is a high probability of success, I've only failed
  • 1x arrow (biblical rain),
    1x BRM1000 (too many hills)
    1x BR300 (mechanical failure),
    1x BR200 (annoyed by excessive info controls)
against over 100 completed rides.)

Although I am more likely to look for a Portsmouth crossing

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2023, 02:07:39 am »
I'm planning to drive from Newcastle upon Tyne and I have the same time limit and start time (actually Monday morning, not Sunday). Not thought about ferries or accommodation yet but I'll keep you in mind if I go via Newhaven.
39. Because on every real bicycle there is the unseen pennant of progress, the standard of democracy, the banner of freedom.

Tom

« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2023, 10:53:54 pm »
I'm planning to drive from Newcastle upon Tyne and I have the same time limit and start time (actually Monday morning, not Sunday). Not thought about ferries or accommodation yet but I'll keep you in mind if I go via Newhaven.
[/quote

Great 👍. I might have managed to bully my wife into driving me down, but would be very interested in sharing if you decide to come via the jewel of the English channel that is Newhaven. And yes, Monday morning it is, not Sunday...

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2023, 04:14:50 pm »
[/quote

Great 👍. I might have managed to bully my wife into driving me down, but would be very interested in sharing if you decide to come via the jewel of the English channel that is Newhaven. And yes, Monday morning it is, not Sunday...

I changed to 90 hr so will be crossing the channel on Saturday, probably Dover- Calais
39. Because on every real bicycle there is the unseen pennant of progress, the standard of democracy, the banner of freedom.

Tom

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2023, 09:59:47 pm »
I

I changed to 90 hr so will be crossing the channel on Saturday, probably Dover- Calais

No worries. Thanks for letting me know