Author Topic: Warning for cyclists, Datchet/Colnbrook area, travellers camp on cycleway!  (Read 1861 times)

How Do All.

A word of warning!
For anyone that uses Major's Farm Road between Datchet and Colnbrook.
Please be advised that travellers have moved in right alongside the cycle/foot paths on the Colnbrook side of the motorway foot bridge.
And I would strongly advise you to either use Riding Ct Lane or if travelling along Major's Farm Road from Datchet, to cross the foot bridge over to Riding Ct Lane!
I'm sure these are very nice people normally  :-\ but they will try to stop you and take your bike/stuff or start throwing stuff at you if you don't stop!
I did not want to loose my Penny Farthing so I just powered on through the camp and avoided being hit by plastic bottles.
They also have a quad bike which they appeared not to be able to start otherwise I'm sure they would have chased me down on that too!

If there are any of those travellers reading this, please kindly move on to Southall or Yeading as I don't much go there  :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The travellers who camped on my local bit of cycleway seemed perfectly happy to leave cyclists to it.  My only objection was that they'd turned some of it into a mudbath with their vehicles (which was reason enough for me to avoid using the path until summer), and that they filled the stream with rubbish.

The travellers who camped on my local bit of cycleway seemed perfectly happy to leave cyclists to it.  My only objection was that they'd turned some of it into a mudbath with their vehicles (which was reason enough for me to avoid using the path until summer), and that they filled the stream with rubbish.

Sadly that was not my experience, I found it quite threatening to try and pick my way through a camp near me earlier this year.  I looked (probably disapprovingly) at the young lad taking a crap just off the path, and then two of the men decided to ‘encourage’ me to move along more quickly.  I did report it to the police who said there had been a number of complaints .  Real shame, even ignoring the state they left behind afterwards...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
The police do nothing because the travellers play the race card, as if being Irish makes you a persecuted ethnic minority.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

The police do nothing because the travellers play the race card, as if being Irish makes you a persecuted ethnic minority.

Oh how quickly we forget the backlash against the Irish community in the UK during the Troubles, eh?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/birmingham-bombings-city-still-struggling-to-cope-40-years-on-1.2009500
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
The Mulberry Bush, or the Bar St. Martin as it later became, was our work lunchtime local in the early 90s.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Just to note, I did not say say these people were Irish! they are travellers, pikey's or whatever. If they happen to be Irish then that is just coincidental, and is no reflection on the Irish community. The same way that not all Muslims are terrorist's!