Author Topic: BHPC racing  (Read 61988 times)

Re: BHPC racing
« Reply #325 on: 17 October, 2022, 07:27:59 am »
The parts were jettisoned from the trice so nothing new there then  ::-) ;)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #326 on: 17 October, 2022, 08:12:50 am »
Were they jettisoned or did they jump?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #327 on: 17 October, 2022, 04:46:06 pm »
[...]
The AGM could be quite exciting, on account of a potential major restructuring of the club.

Or not, seeing as Ian Prince has volunteered to take on the task of Magazine Wrangler.
:thumbsup:
I shall have another year of digital absentee membership then.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #328 on: 17 October, 2022, 05:04:45 pm »
Peering at the timing results, it appears that cycleman is officially faster than barakta:
 http://www.bhpc.org.uk/Data/Sites/1/media/events/events22/12hillingdon/index.html

This is presumably due to strategic mid-race aerodynamic improvements, and nothing to do with differences in speed limiting behaviour between the two e-assist systems.   ;D

Barakta claims she wasn't trying, as she already had the coveted C13 trophy in the bag:

ETA: Achievement, as they say, unlocked:

I will attempt to make barakta earn some real BHPC points in something eventually.

« Reply #329 on: 17 October, 2022, 07:45:07 pm »
Were they jettisoned or did they jump?
Jumped, well flew actually
the slower you go the more you see

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #330 on: 29 October, 2022, 12:01:38 pm »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #331 on: 29 October, 2022, 12:21:12 pm »
Watched that the other night, having completely forgotten who won.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #332 on: 30 October, 2022, 11:13:12 am »
Bit of a fail with your l33t drafting John Lucian 5k1llz in the long race, Keem :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #333 on: 30 October, 2022, 12:01:08 pm »
Bit of a fail with your l33t drafting John Lucian 5k1llz in the long race, Keem :demon:

Yes.  I lost a lot of speed after the evasive manoeuvres around Lee's crash (not pictured, unfortunately).  John then caught David's wheel for a bit (which doesn't normally work) leaving me utterly for dead.  I also failed to keep up with Gerry, on account of general knackeredness.

To be fair, my endurance racing tactics are based on a combination of bike reliability and bladder control, but that only gets you into the top 10 or so.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #334 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:26:44 pm »
Results now up at: http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/2022-round-7-bath-7th-august_topic7428_post68930.html#68930

A respectable first time at the Wacky Races by Cudzoziemiec.  I particularly like the way the flailing mudflap conveys a sense of speed:

Alas, none of those bottles contained petril, which we could have used to power the RFID voodoo and babbage-engine in the second race.

More upwrong and mudflap action courtesy of LordHostis:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4-L5T1sw9s

« Reply #335 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:43:02 pm »
I missed that photo of Cudzoziemiec first time around. I had to zoom in to figure out what that weird non-aero yellow attachment was on his bars, looking like maybe a GPS on some decidedly strange vertical tri-bar.  :facepalm:

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #336 on: 10 January, 2023, 08:05:46 am »
Results now up at: http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/2022-round-7-bath-7th-august_topic7428_post68930.html#68930

A respectable first time at the Wacky Races by Cudzoziemiec.  I particularly like the way the flailing mudflap conveys a sense of speed:

Alas, none of those bottles contained petril, which we could have used to power the RFID voodoo and babbage-engine in the second race.

More upwrong and mudflap action courtesy of LordHostis:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4-L5T1sw9s

Ah! But him not got noe visible race number, innit.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #337 on: 21 January, 2023, 03:03:00 pm »
I missed that photo of Cudzoziemiec first time around. I had to zoom in to figure out what that weird non-aero yellow attachment was on his bars, looking like maybe a GPS on some decidedly strange vertical tri-bar.  :facepalm:
It was a fuel cell motor, powered by the hydrogen in those bottles.  :D

Lack of paper and thick marker pen. Seemed to work well enough with the RFID on my helmet though. But I now seem to have lost the helmet in a house move  :facepalm: unless my son's taken it to Cornwall or just possibly it went to the Bike Project with a load of other stuff.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #338 on: 21 January, 2023, 03:13:02 pm »
Lack of paper and thick marker pen. Seemed to work well enough with the RFID on my helmet though.

Or, more critically, barakta knows who you are.

This isn't a scalable solution, as it depends on whoever's frantically banging numbers into the babbage-engine to know what people's numbers are when the tags don't work, which is easy enough when you discover that a specific individual has duff tags, but becomes a lot trickier when they whole system fails and you've got to try to keep track of everyone's laps on a Mk 1 piece of paper.

It also can't be relied on when you've got half a dozen interchangeable MAMILs in helmets and glasses on the same type of machine...

But I now seem to have lost the helmet in a house move  :facepalm: unless my son's taken it to Cornwall or just possibly it went to the Bike Project with a load of other stuff.

All you need is an Impinj-compatible RFID reader and you can track it down...

(While doing SCIENCE with the timing system the year before last, I discovered that it will pick up the read-only tags in various Decathlon products in and about your house, and if you turn the gain down and point the aerial around you can triangulate them.)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #339 on: 21 January, 2023, 03:35:03 pm »
(While doing SCIENCE with the timing system the year before last, I discovered that it will pick up the read-only tags in various Decathlon products in and about your house, and if you turn the gain down and point the aerial around you can triangulate them.)

Is this actually Peak Kim?

;D

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #340 on: 21 January, 2023, 07:32:13 pm »

;D

Nah, she has potential fettling thread updates which are much more peak Kim.  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #341 on: 21 January, 2023, 08:14:39 pm »

I was trying to determine the exact thickness of dielectric padding required to make the tags work properly on an assortment of conductive materials, for the benefit of Roy's aerodynamics.  The results were being muddled by a couple of tags that weren't there.  After much head-scratching the stray tags were eventually determined to be the label on a bottle of electrolyte tablets and sewn into one of barakta's little-used physioterrorism weights.

This knowledge came in handy some time later, when we were having trouble changing the race number on someone's tags.  It turned out that we were addressing a SEEKRIT decoy tag buried inside their helmet, and not the BHPC-issue stick-on ones, which I happened to recognise on account of the unusual pattern of meaningless hex.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #342 on: 21 January, 2023, 08:27:43 pm »
If you google "Peak Kim" you find that she has been, as you'd expect, a multiple race winner, though she's past her (sorry) peak now.
Peak Kim

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #343 on: 04 February, 2023, 03:30:35 pm »
My grate frend Mr Sheen writes, on that Farcebok that they have now:

Just putting some feelers out here, but I’ve finally had to face the fact that I’m not going to get back into racing again, being at an age where getting out of a chair makes me creak like the Cutty Sark under full sail, and so I am wondering if there’d be any interest in my Mk6 faired Windcheetah.

I’ll be straight - it will need a COMPLETE overhaul. It’s been stood for about 20 years now, and although it’s all there, the transmission will need replacing, all the rubbers and bushes, tyres, tubes, cables etc. The fairing is intact but will need some proper renovation and reinforcing. My ex dumped it into a leaky shed some years back and it suffered. But underneath it all is a hand-built lightweight Burrows Speedy with 700c & 20” wheels which raced all over the UK and Europe. It’s less than half the weight of most modern faired trikes and will still hold its own on the  track.

I’ll dig some photos out later, past and present, but I’m located in south London (spits) so if anyone wants to see it, let me know. There’s a nice pic of it in its prime in the BHPC’s MB tribute magazine.

I have no idea what it’s worth but I don’t want to start a bidding war (he lied) and I’d much rather see it back out on the track than make a killing.

« Reply #344 on: 04 February, 2023, 03:33:41 pm »
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

How tall is your grate friend Mr Sheen?  And how many rubber bung are involved (coz transmission, brakes, tyre is moar doable).

Asking for a friend.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #345 on: 04 February, 2023, 03:44:55 pm »
Mr Sheen is a good deal shorter than this Unit (I'd guess about 5’8”) though there'll be some adjustability in the seat.  Rubbery doodahs are probably the seat mounts – which were, IIRC, the metal/rubber sandwich wossnames used for attaching exhaust pipes to Minis – plus the bungees that keep the sides closed when the rider ent leaning out for cornering and probably whatever is used to attach the fairing to the chassis.

Anyway, it looked like this:

in its heyday.

« Reply #346 on: 04 February, 2023, 11:11:42 pm »
Mr Sheen is a good deal shorter than this Unit (I'd guess about 5’8”)
Thank fuck for that! I My Friend am taller than that and I My Friend have dental bills and no space for something this awesome, no matter that it is awesome and I My Friend Wantz it.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #347 on: 28 February, 2023, 09:59:16 am »
MOAR vids from David L'Hostis:

Darley Moor: https://youtu.be/RlsdIb84W3M

Gravesend: https://youtu.be/otYinmS-DKI

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #348 on: 03 March, 2023, 04:17:34 pm »
Did I put this here?  I should put this here...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #349 on: 19 March, 2023, 11:29:27 pm »
And 2022's final instalment from LordHostis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCRvS3lsXeA

Featuring some proper racing, The Man With The Orange Flag, cycleman making mid-race aerodynamic improvements, and an ending montage.