Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945718 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I read that url as game of throne sex position. Took me a few moments to twig.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
A touch of ExpertsExchange syndrome?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος

Wanna guess the name of the Exchange server for a charity called Kids?  ::-)  I figured that one could be blamed on out-sourced IT (who were, by most accounts, useless).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

citoyen

Or indeed childrenslaughter.com, therapistfinder.com, lesbocages.com, penisland.net...

Beardy

• Shedist
I. At have mentioned that Ms Beardy the elder got married last weekend (and a fine day was had by all thankyouforasking)
But I was wondering...
It was traditional that a lady changed her surname when she married, to that of her newly betrothed. So I had reconciled myself to accepting this change with good grace, although I did wonder if, as is now often the case, she would keep her maiden name from professional reasons. But no, she likes to do thinks her own way does Ms B the E, and so they both changed their names by deed pole to a new name to both of them.

So as I say, i was wondering, is it wrong to be a little bit happy that in changing her name from mine, she also rejected his name and invented a new name for them both entirely?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Beardy I think that's Fab!

A friend of mine and his wife did similar. Her surname had unpleasant connotations thanks to TV and he didn't want to "impose" his surname on her in an "unthinking" "the way things are done" way.  Between them they decided to create a third new name and chose it based on a person they both admired (now dead).

It's a suggestion I've often made to friends who don't want to take "his" name, "he" won't take her name. Sadly the men who won't take "her" name usually won't take a third name either and I know several women who wanted "the same name as their kids" or "a family name" have "given in" and just taken his... Which makes me grrr.

citoyen

So as I say, i was wondering, is it wrong to be a little bit happy that in changing her name from mine, she also rejected his name and invented a new name for them both entirely?

I think that’s a splendid thing to do and you are right to be happy.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
A new third name is a reasonable compromise if your starting point is we’re-getting-married-so-there-must-be-name-changing.

But why is that still anyone’s starting point?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Usual reason seems to be because they want the kids to have the same name as them.

Occasionally it's just a good excuse to change names.

Barakta and I couldn't be arsed.

ian

My wife kept her surname, it was never an issue – it's her name. I'm still surprised in 2018 that a wife taking her husband's surname is a thing. We did briefly dabble with double-barrelling (the result sounded painfully pretentious) or inventing something new (a palaver, we'd both then have to go through the bureaucracy of getting our names changed). In the end it just seemed simpler to leave things as they are. Don't call her Mrs either, not unless you want to have your intestines ripped out and turned into balloon animals. She'll be wanting the bloody vote next.

I've never really got the kid thing, I wouldn't be bothered if they had my wife's surname, she'd be the one doing the hard part. Our cats don't have surnames.

Oddly, her family are the ones that seemed most perturbed by her retaining her surname. I think she made her point by writing 'not known at this address' on any cards and letter they addressed to her using my surname.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I've never really got the kid thing, I wouldn't be bothered if they had my wife's surname, she'd be the one doing the hard part.

I suppose schools have pretty much got the hang of it now, although I expect there are still hold-outs of middle-class conservatism where things don't get any weirder than Little Bobby Foo's parents being Mr and Dr Foo.

I didn't think our cats had surnames, until I saw it on the vet's computer...

ian

My wife is Dr, primarily because she hates the Miss/Ms/Mrs thing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

Usual reason seems to be because they want the kids to have the same name as them.

Occasionally it's just a good excuse to change names.

But you share 2 letters out of 4 anyway! (I think... )
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I didn't think our cats had surnames, until I saw it on the vet's computer...

That annoys me, but not as much as them talking to the dog and referring to me as her daddy.  wtf?  You're a vet.  Get a grip.

And on cat's names.  Many many years ago I had a kitten that I named Number 1.  When I took her to the vet for her injections,  I filled out a form and under 'Name' I wrote 'No. One'.
I later received a vaccination record card for something called 'No one my surname' (note the lack of punctuation point)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
My wife is Dr, primarily because she hates the Miss/Ms/Mrs thing.

That was always my intention, but in the end it didn't seem worth being Piled Hider And Deeper for.  Plus I'm not really clever enough.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
But you share 2 letters out of 4 anyway! (I think... )

Doesn't matter, people still wouldn't be able to spell it.

Not that it's a good reason, granted, but I understand having a different surname to your kids can make international travel significantly more arsey depending on where you're travelling to and from. I was happy to change my name when we got married, but Dr W chose to change hers, as much for professional reasons (career change and googleability) as for anything else.

Plus I'm not really clever enough.

I call BS, though a fair point on the piled higher and deeper aspects; in any case, it's as much a test of bloody-mindedness as of anything else.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

I call BS, though a fair point on the piled higher and deeper aspects; in any case, it's as much a test of bloody-mindedness as of anything else.

The problem is that I've always been drawn to fields that at an academic level rapidly deteriorate into horrendous mathematics, and I've never been much of a mathematician.  Certainly not to the point of being bloody-minded about it.   :hand:

Cudzoziemiec

Not that it's a good reason, granted, but I understand having a different surname to your kids can make international travel significantly more arsey depending on where you're travelling to and from.
Sounds like a good reason to me!

Not that it's a good reason, granted, but I understand having a different surname to your kids can make international travel significantly more arsey depending on where you're travelling to and from.

Well yes; but the reason people with different surnames get grief is for reasons of security theatre rather than for legitimate reasons IYSWIM.

The problem is that I've always been drawn to fields that at an academic level rapidly deteriorate into horrendous mathematics, and I've never been much of a mathematician.  Certainly not to the point of being bloody-minded about it.   :hand:

Ha, yes, my UG (engineering) degree made it abundantly clear to me that PDEs were very much the limit of my mathematical competence; not coincidentally I made sure that the crap I piled higher and deeper required nothing more than arithmetic...

Cudzoziemiec

Well yes; but the reason people with different surnames get grief is for reasons of security theatre rather than for legitimate reasons IYSWIM.
Of course, but it's a bit of security theatre you can do something about with relatively little hassle, unlike say changing your nationality or the colour of your skin.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I might be on the local radio tomorrow  ;D

As I wandered through the market place on my lunchtime errands, I heard someone quoting "it's not dead it's just resting".  The other bloke was struggling, and I couldn't help shout out - "Monty Python".

That was it, interviewer decided he had a new victim, and proceeded to run through his list of classic comedy lines, of which I only faltered on about 2 out of 12-15.  He then had me ham up the Dead Parrot sketch and Four Candles with him, plus a bit of back and forth about comedy in general.  All a bit of good fun, and apparently the original script for Four Candles is being auctioned tomorrow, expected to fetch about £40k.

The original interviewee slunk off looking very relieved
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Youngest brother's wife goes by her maiden name when it suits her and my brother's when it's more convenient.
Kids have my brother's surname.
I have no idea if she registered a name change.
Nor do I care.

Beardy

• Shedist

I've got to agree with this. Dr Beardy (Mrs) will tell you until the cows come home that I’m the clever on in our relationship, but she's the doctor. Having lived through the pian it seems it’s was more a journey of atrocition than invention. Not that I’d take anything away from her because there’s no way I’d ever be able that do what she did.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.