Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 956693 times)

Chris S

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1675 on: 22 August, 2011, 10:50:16 am »

Pffft... *snigger*.  I was expecting OTT tosh, so at least I wasn't surprised.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1676 on: 22 August, 2011, 11:11:25 am »
In no particular order:

The Shining.  Jack Nicholson plays himself.  Again.
Shanghai Noon.  Kung-fu western with Jackie Chan.  What's not to like?
No Country For Old Men.  What was that ending all about?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1677 on: 23 August, 2011, 11:29:46 am »
In no particular order:

The Shining.  Jack Nicholson plays himself.  Again.
Shanghai Noon.  Kung-fu western with Jackie Chan.  What's not to like?

Edit: Just found this marvellous Clive James quote concerning The Shining: "Jack Nicholson told of how Stanley had pushed him into an acting style beyond naturalism. Clips of Jack in action proved that there is no acting style beyond naturalism except ham." ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1678 on: 23 August, 2011, 12:07:47 pm »
Super 8.  It wasn't what I expected.  But the young actors were superb, with a sugar-sweet sub/superplot that this sentimental old fool absolutely loved  :D

Saw it last week and loved it. I also thought the two leads, the boy and the girl, were superb.

I did think it fizzled out a bit though - considering it started so strongly, the ending was a bit of an anticlimax. Good, solid family entertainment though.

I recorded Let The Right One In off the telly the other night but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Really looking forward to it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #1679 on: 23 August, 2011, 12:11:15 pm »
An American Werewolf in London.

"Beware the moon"

"Stick to the road and stay off of the moors"

:thumbsup:

Jennifer Agutter being lovely  :D

I was listening to an old Guardian Film podcast this morning, from 2009, which had an interview with John Landis on the occasion of the film's re-release. Learnt some really interesting stuff about the making of the film, especially the Piccadilly Circus scene. It made me want to see it again (for the umpteenth time). I'm not normally much of a fan of horror but it's a true genre-defining classic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/audio/2009/oct/07/film-weekly-podcast

d.

« Reply #1680 on: 23 August, 2011, 12:28:55 pm »
The latest Jane Eyre adaptation with Mia Wasikowska as Jane and Michael Fassbender as Mr Rochester. It's really rather good. And Mia's Yorkshire accent is not bad at all.

Tim

« Reply #1681 on: 23 August, 2011, 01:09:14 pm »
The Long Good Friday - a proper gangster film.

citoyen

« Reply #1682 on: 23 August, 2011, 01:11:40 pm »
The Long Good Friday - a proper gangster film.

As opposed to Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, which is a "pwoper gangsta film".

d.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1683 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:25:35 pm »
An American Werewolf in London.

"Beware the moon"

"Stick to the road and stay off of the moors"

:thumbsup:

Jennifer Agutter being lovely  :D

I was listening to an old Guardian Film podcast this morning, from 2009, which had an interview with John Landis on the occasion of the film's re-release. Learnt some really interesting stuff about the making of the film, especially the Piccadilly Circus scene. It made me want to see it again (for the umpteenth time). I'm not normally much of a fan of horror but it's a true genre-defining classic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/audio/2009/oct/07/film-weekly-podcast

d.

Haven't seen that in years ...  IIRC, the opening sequence features the Gospel Pass doubling as Yorkshire  :-\

« Reply #1684 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:30:35 pm »
I like that ending-that-never-was. So many Hollywood films have an unambiguously clear ending - usually heavy on the saccharin, that it's good to have to think about one for a change.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #1685 on: 27 August, 2011, 09:46:36 am »
Invasion of the Body Snatchers. What a pile of pants! Is that really what scared them those days?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #1686 on: 27 August, 2011, 10:15:56 am »
Shrek 1, 2, 3 & 4, in succession over a number of nights.  Kai wasn't that interested, he doesn't seem to be a big enthusiast of animation, although he does quite like some live action films.  He reminds me a bit of Bruce Willis's cat in The Fifth Element!  (Although she's whiter than him).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Billy Weir

« Reply #1687 on: 27 August, 2011, 10:33:20 am »
Invasion of the Body Snatchers. What a pile of pants! Is that really what scared them those days?

Those films played upon a general fear of communist infiltration and invasion.  We've lost that cultural context.

« Reply #1688 on: 27 August, 2011, 03:07:16 pm »

Those films played upon a general fear of communist infiltration and invasion.  We've lost that cultural context.
I guess so, but the whole thing was done so cheaply. There was so much excess dialogue used that was obviously there to save money on footage. I was looking forward to watching it, but felt quite disappointed afterwards.

Now, a toss up between a Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources double bill or Camera Buff by Kieslowski. Which reminds me I've still got The Hurt Locker unwrapped...

« Reply #1689 on: 27 August, 2011, 11:15:55 pm »
Rise of the planet of the apes.

Excellent.

Sod the zombie threat, we need to start wiping monkeys off the face of the earth before they develop the whip hand.

Draco Malfoy is particularly evil in it.

AndyK

« Reply #1690 on: 28 August, 2011, 09:20:19 am »
Confetti. Brilliant British mockumentary. Stephen Mangan, Martin Freeman, Jessica Hynes, Olivia Colman, all on superb 'real people' form.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1691 on: 28 August, 2011, 12:44:08 pm »
Is that the one with the couples competing to win their dream wedding? I remember liking that ages ago.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1692 on: 28 August, 2011, 01:36:53 pm »
The Castle [1997]
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

AndyK

« Reply #1693 on: 28 August, 2011, 01:48:20 pm »
Is that the one with the couples competing to win their dream wedding? I remember liking that ages ago.

Yes. Came out four years ago I think. Saw it then but it was also on telly the other night.

fuzzy

« Reply #1694 on: 29 August, 2011, 02:02:06 pm »
A Beautiful Mind

A film I rate very highly.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1695 on: 29 August, 2011, 03:44:53 pm »
The Guard.  Very funny film and rather more intelligent than most films in that genre (and certainly more intelligent than most films made this year, which is not a good year for films).
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1696 on: 31 August, 2011, 08:02:50 am »
The Corpse Bride which was quite amusing, and surprisingly well animated, considering that I believe it's largely done by hand, and not one of the current crop of 100% CGI.
Actually, it is rocket science.

spindrift

« Reply #1697 on: 01 September, 2011, 08:52:33 pm »
The Inbetweeners. It's officially the biggest opening of a British comedy ever, it's beaten Bridget Jones. Never really caught the tv series. My goodness, the humour is broad, but they knew they were tapping into a ready-made market. Had it's moments but a bit extended. And scatalogical.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1698 on: 01 September, 2011, 08:54:58 pm »
Cowboys and Aliens, a bit slow at times, but funny, action and FX galore a true boys movie.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1699 on: 02 September, 2011, 07:55:41 am »
The Da Vinci Code. So poor I couldn't be bothered to watch the last few "climactic" minutes & went to bed.