Author Topic: Few days between Strasbourg and Frankfurt - what to see?  (Read 82 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
An Aussie friend has been slowly making his way from Lisbon towards Germany for several weeks. I aim to join him for a few days from 03 June, probably using trains to Strasbourg and trains from Frankfurt. I may take my S&S bike but more likely a Birdy Blue. Either can fit into a Eurostar-compliant bag and changing at Lille seems the sensible option.

Philip isn't looking for huge distances (50 to 80ish km daily) or hunting cols. I enjoy checking out history, trains, bridges, what have you. I expect to be staying at cheap hotels or suchlike, rather than camping.

What are some things to look for/ visit along the way?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Few days between Strasbourg and Frankfurt - what to see?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:52:36 pm »
Between Strassburg and Frankfurt would be mostly along the Rhine valley, which to be honest isn't the most scenic part of Germany. The two obvious places to visit on the way would be Karlsruhe and Heidelberg. The centre of Karlsruhe has lots of classical architecture and an enormous palace; Heidelberg is well-known and consequently rather touristy. Personally I prefer small towns in Germany, and whilst the Rhine valley has plenty of small towns they aren't particularly scenic. However if you don't mind a bit of a detour Bad Wimpfen and Mosbach are both very pretty places, and you may well find some other nice towns on the way.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
Re: Few days between Strasbourg and Frankfurt - what to see?
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:41:12 pm »
There is a transport museum in Speyer, which is more or less on the way. https://speyer.technik-museum.de/ is their website.

Somewhat more of a niche interest, just south of Speyer at Germersheim, there is the German road making museum.
https://www.das-deutsche-strassenmuseum.de/
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome