Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2470361 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3925 on: 06 December, 2010, 07:07:22 pm »
Interesting.  I've seen these in Velovision, and was tempted, but reasoned that I needed to keep drag to the minimum.

Let us know how you get on.
Getting there...

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3926 on: 06 December, 2010, 10:24:02 pm »
I like, I like.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3927 on: 07 December, 2010, 01:17:28 pm »
Me too. Must get one of those. I neglected to wipe down my bike after my ride in the snow the other day and despite a liberal coating of Finish Line Extreme, I noticed this morning that it had some rust on it.  :facepalm:

I did wonder about the drag effects, but I doubt it could be any more draggy than the snow tyres.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

border-rider

« Reply #3928 on: 07 December, 2010, 01:27:54 pm »
Just be careful on sizing - despite what many shops say there is a specific model for each chainring size, and the options are something like 38, 42 or 44.  You'll see 42/44 as a size - doesn't exist.

Dotbike seemed to be about the only shop I could find that actually knew the correct front/rear options

Hebie Chainglider - from £34.48 | Dotbike

« Reply #3929 on: 07 December, 2010, 01:44:48 pm »
Nice chainguard! I used to have an MZ Supa 5 with a very similar set up - excellent for the winter rallies I did when younger and 'arder.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #3930 on: 07 December, 2010, 01:55:22 pm »
Nice chainguard!

Yes!  Does having the Hebie make it harder to get the wheel off in the event of a puncture?

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3931 on: 07 December, 2010, 02:10:01 pm »

That's a very purposeful looking machine :thumbsup:.

Out of interest, why the change from drops to flats?
Pen Pusher

border-rider

« Reply #3932 on: 07 December, 2010, 02:17:13 pm »
It's not had drops on it for years. Flats are more suited to a pootling-about bike, plus that roller brake at the front seems to work best with a f'off big motorcycle-style 1980s MTB brake lever.  Not great with drop levers.

« Reply #3933 on: 07 December, 2010, 07:32:52 pm »
floats on the chain in a kind of sea of oiliness

I like that chainguard  :)

This sea of oil - really? Or does it just sort of scrape along lightly? Or, indeed, have you filled it with oil like an oil-bath chainguard - in which case your chain will last about 100 years?

border-rider

« Reply #3934 on: 07 December, 2010, 07:38:17 pm »
It just scrapes along. I saw an on line review which said it was important to oil the fuck out of the chain, so I did, so it's really very, very lubed in there.  I did a decent ride today  - couple of hours, into Monmouth, round town to do some errands and back - and it's effectively silent. I was quite surprised - if there is any noise it's lost in the wind & tyre noise.  The bike's as silent as a well-maintained fixed in direct drive, and just ticks quietly in top.  It doesn't feel draggy either, though I'm sure there is some.

edit: I took some care to get a good chainline as well, which I think helps, as does having a decent and rigid chainring.  You can't get heftier than that wee Goldtec :)

« Reply #3935 on: 07 December, 2010, 07:55:58 pm »
It certainly looks like a brilliant winter bike option.  I wonder if Scottoil might be a good bet for the chain lube?

« Reply #3936 on: 07 December, 2010, 09:31:22 pm »

One ancient Raleigh Maverick MTB with skinny S-licks, Dirt Monkey mudguards and a Carry Freedom Y frame (small) trailer, plus a box that once belonged to a removal company.

Quisling's winter shopping combo. :thumbsup:

The bike weighs a tonne though.  Old skool budget steelwork but it had the right brazings to make it useful and is too ugly to get stolen so worth hanging on to.

border-rider

« Reply #3937 on: 09 December, 2010, 12:11:45 pm »
Nice chainguard!

Yes!  Does having the Hebie make it harder to get the wheel off in the event of a p*nct*r*?

Ooh just seen this Q

Not especially; the rear section pops off  - or hinges up, to taste.

The bigger PITA is the reaction arm for the coaster brake, and all the faff with chain tensioning, but it has Marathon Plus tyres to (hopefully) make that an infrequent problem.  In fact, it had a flat this summer when it was still fixed, and it was because the inner tube had died of old age inside the M+ - been there years, untouched.

« Reply #3938 on: 10 December, 2010, 02:07:37 pm »
moulton, loaded with camping gear (and fairy lights) for the YACFessex do..  I think I'd need some bigger front panniers for a longer tour but it handles brilliantly!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3939 on: 10 December, 2010, 02:09:57 pm »
^^^ Nice one!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3940 on: 10 December, 2010, 03:06:08 pm »

Our new trike (and why we're selling / sold the other cargobikes).

Not quite the spec we ordered - the hood should be black, and there should be a q/r on the seatpost clamp (distributor is sorting), but the dynohub was a bonus - can you run them backwards? If so, I'm tempted to get another and run twin dynohubs.

« Reply #3941 on: 10 December, 2010, 03:35:52 pm »
Our new trike (and why we're selling / sold the other cargobikes).

Not quite the spec we ordered - the hood should be black, and there should be a q/r on the seatpost clamp (distributor is sorting), but the dynohub was a bonus - can you run them backwards? If so, I'm tempted to get another and run twin dynohubs.

Wow awesome, how do you steer that thing? it looks like it holds as much as a supermarket trolley!

« Reply #3942 on: 10 December, 2010, 05:10:30 pm »
The whole box pivots around the headset mounted between the front axle and the main tube. It's great fun to ride, and is quite chuckable when you get used to it. The handling is kept in check by a massive steering damper that actually works (unlike the ones on the Winther Kangaroo and Christiania trikes I've tried).

It can take 150kg in the box - much more than a shopping trolley!

« Reply #3943 on: 11 December, 2010, 08:31:36 pm »
but the dynohub was a bonus - can you run them backwards? If so, I'm tempted to get another and run twin dynohubs.

You're not supposed to run SON ones backwards; apparently the innards can unscrew.

« Reply #3944 on: 12 December, 2010, 01:03:23 pm »

It worked all the 1.5km to the railway station. I couldn't see a thing in my mirror anymore though.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3945 on: 12 December, 2010, 02:23:51 pm »
There's something extremely cool about transporting a bike on another bike. I like!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3946 on: 12 December, 2010, 02:35:28 pm »
A marvellous sight.
Getting there...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3947 on: 12 December, 2010, 02:50:52 pm »
That's just showing off! Not that I'm jealous or anything
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

PH

« Reply #3948 on: 12 December, 2010, 08:01:02 pm »
My latest toy to celebrate ten years without a car and a significant Birthday. Hubs, lights, saddle and a few other bits off a Thorn Raven, the rest new.  XACD frame based loosely on a Surly LHT, IRD forks and brakes, Rigida Carbide rims, Ergon supersize and super comfy bar ends, everything chosen without compromise.  I've been riding it since July, a couple of 200k Audax, tour of The Hebrides, Mildenhall Rally and the usual commute.  My perfect do it all bike ;D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3949 on: 12 December, 2010, 08:05:53 pm »
That is absolutely lovely!!!  :thumbsup: