Author Topic: "Witham" Audaxes, 100km,160km and 200km Sunday 28th April 2013 IMPORTANT!  (Read 4213 times)

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
Just like last year extended this to a 300. Last year did a 80 + 200 + 30 with train ride home thing.
This time went for 80 + 160 + 80 since it's a 80 k pretty much straight route down from Cambridge.

Got up at 4am, reading 1.7C on the thermometer. Knowing it would be sunny and warming up to
13C during the day wasn't sure how to dress. Didn't want to haul the clunky saddle bag so dressed
to freeze a bit on the 80k down. That worked ok since the rolling route kept me warm enough.

As planned arrived spot-on 30 min before start of the 160. Had some tea and biscuits and set off.
Pretty large field. The first 60-ish km to Acton was smooth, riding with and around various people.
Acton was quite crowded so I only had two cans of coke and a banana. As I left realised that might
not have been too clever as at that point I was a good 140k into my ride. But I felt all fine. Soon
realized why. The wind. We were soon heading southwards into an increasing headwind and with the
relentless 30m ascend, 30 m descend, 30 m ascend, 30 m descend etc route it was getting quite
tough. Was quite empty in the tank at Stisted, having ridden on my own all the way. Luckily hardly
any people there when I arrived since the big groups were behind me at that point. Had a longer sit
down with tea, cake, soft drink.

Continued on into the wind, fearing North Hill coming up for the 2nd time of the day since I went
up that on my out ECE leg as well. Slogged it back slowly and was relieved to hit the top of North
Hill and could roll down the rest to the village hall. Had 1.5 ham roll, some chips, peanuts and two
cups of tea and a close to 60 min break before starting the 80k return leg to Cambridge. This
would be all with a good tailwind I thought. However, didn't really benefit much during the first
half to Dunmow. Too laney, sheltered and lumpy. In Dunmow once again was close to bonking.
But now the tailwind was more helpful. Popped into the bonk-saving Thaxted garage to refill
some. Bag of crisps, some Mentos mints and isotonic sports drink and a 10 min sit-down worked
wonders. The final 10 miles past Saffron Walden were really easy with the long slight downhills and
with the open landscape great boost by the tailwind!

In the end exactly 200 miles. 17 hours with about 14 hours moving time. RWGPS had total ascending
at 3,830m, so not at all a flat ride despite highest point being 130m! Just a relentless series of 30m
ups and downs throughout the whole day.

Thanks to Ed, Peter and the rest of the crew for a good event - certainly nicer weather than last year's
flood-fest!

Although I left Essex 30 years ago, coming back to ride around the county is always enjoyable, and in particular this ride links parts of my childhood. My dad's milkround covered Bicknacre in the early 1960s, we lived between Little Baddow and Woodham Walter and I went to school in Danbury, so that end of the ride is full of memories, although the summer of love had not even happened by the time I moved to Chelmsford.

At the other end I was christened in Langham, and we rode past my uncle's pink thatched cottage at the end of the houses going towards Boxted. In Lavenham is my favourite hotel, the Swan.

So I set out after completing 220k of the Cambridge 300 the day before, deciding to get some sleep rather than miss out on the sunday ride, thinking it would be a nice sightseeing tour with limited climbing. Wrong! The run out towards Tiptree at 40k speed was a brief respite, the hills kept coming and a 16 stone ex bodybuilder on a steel bike can only go so fast, eventually the faster 150 riders caught me, if not all of them, which meant a 40 minute stop at Wally's Cafe. This was necessary as I had missed feed stops the day before, so I had the works in a baguette to keep me going. After such a relaxing stop the body did not want to start again, and the little voices told me that there was the train option at Manningtree, and despite the wind picking up I set a target time for Mistley, where I would have a quick turnaround and have time in hand to cover the return. Fortunately the plan worked, the little voices went away, and I was able to let the controller at Mistley leave his post, as I was the last one.

A quick can of coke and back I went, into the wind and up Gun Hill after Dedham to Langham. No time to say hello to my uncle, had to push on to Stisted for just after 6pm, the run across to Bures was testing, up and down, into the wind, and as Stisted approached the energy levels were dropping. There I found sanctuary and sustinence, bread pudding the size of a brick, cheese on toast and tea. Filled the water bottles, took some more cake for the ride and they gave me some new batteries for my back light. All prepared I set off on the last leg, plenty of time in hand and knowing that the flat roads would come after Rayne. I knew that Ed and his team would be waiting to welcome me whatever time I got in, so pressure was off and attacked North Hill with my  34 -28 gearing, but knowing that the hill does not finish until you are almost in Danbury. There I ate my last cake as a reward and shot down into Bicknacre with plenty of time in hand, for a warm welcome and plenty of tea and food. Just the drive back to Buckingham after that, a good weekend, 440k in the legs and a bit of sunshine.

Next year is a definite return, maybe third time lucky after the storms last year and the wind yesterday. 

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Well done Big Saxon - you weren't far behind us then [we left Stisted at 6pm]- every controller asked us if we were last on the road....

I was happy to ride at an easy pace with Deniece and Malcolm [it wasn't THAT easy with the wind n'all] after over 600 miles, audax and touring, in the preceding week. Deniece noticed I was feeling mellow, with no desire to crack the whip. [I had an ice cream at Mistley and seemed to sit around chatting a lot at the cafes - usually I'm a fast eater, D eats normally...]

With the 20 miles to and from Bicknacre, plus a few bonus kms off route, that's 810 miles in the past 9 days, 400 of it with camping gear. And I'm not even training for LEL.....

I ate an indecent number of picked onions at the finish. Have Ed and his team have hit on the ideal recovery food??

Does anyone know who the photographer was on the 100km ride and if the photos are online?  I suspect it may have been delthebike but I'm not sure and can't find the pic's any where.

Does anyone know who the photographer was on the 100km ride and if the photos are online?  I suspect it may have been delthebike but I'm not sure and can't find the pic's any where.
Wasn't me, I left just after the 200k started.

I think it was PloddinPedro. He's got a right big one1 he likes to point at people.

1: Camera, obv.

I think it was PloddinPedro............................

Indeed, t'was I. 

Piccies will go up on Flickr when I've had a chance to cull and crop them. I'll post here when 'tis done.

I have finally got my backside in gear and got around to editing and culling the photos.

They can now be viewed here

Enjoy.

Thanks PP!