Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 131517 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I was born in Maidstone and was a regular at London Road in my youth. Had some great FA Cup away days with them - travelling as far afield as Plymouth and Darlington. They never got further than the third round in those days though.

We moved away in 1985, and then it all went to pot for Maidstone a few years later (the idiot owner selling the ground before he'd secured planning permission on the new ground didn't help).

I've not yet got round to seeing the reincarnated Maidstone. Would feel like a bit of a bandwagon jumper if I started following them now. No chance of getting tickets for yesterday's game. But it was great to watch on telly.

That first goal was a peach.

Strong chance they’ll get Premier League opponents in the next round, which will be fantastic. Would love it to be Liverpool.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Sheffield Wednesday or Coventry.  Anxiety all round!

citoyen

Ooh! Really looked like it was going to be City for a minute there.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Without wising to give too much away, I think Man U supporters are a lot less cheerful than they were about 20 minutes ago...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Without wising to give too much away, I think Man U supporters are a lot less cheerful than they were about 20 minutes ago...
For about 30 minutes in the second half, it was a game of equals. County did themselves proud - that was petty close to a full strength Utd team with 3 players who each cost in the region of 80 million pounds starting (and one who came on)! Plus the 2 Real Madrid rejects. ;)
I'm a County fan from afar, having grown up not too far away but not gone to many games (I was a teenager when they were playing in Moreton in the Marsh). I once played against Newport County (when they were in the National League) in a preseason game for Caerleon - we got stuffed 5-0 and it was an education!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I'm a County fan from afar, having grown up not too far away but not gone to many games (I was a teenager when they were playing in Moreton in the Marsh).
Citoyen's post about Maidstone's idiot owner selling the ground without having planning permission for the new site reminded me of Bristol Rovers' ground troubles, ongoing since about 1985 (the latest iterations of this trouble included Sainsbury's and now work starting on a new stand without permission having been secured or even perimeter fencing completed), but at least they only went as far afield as Bath. Newport to Moreton in the Marsh is... quite a trek!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

For about 30 minutes in the second half, it was a game of equals. County did themselves proud - that was petty close to a full strength Utd team with 3 players who each cost in the region of 80 million pounds starting (and one who came on)! Plus the 2 Real Madrid rejects. ;)
I'm a County fan from afar, having grown up not too far away but not gone to many games (I was a teenager when they were playing in Moreton in the Marsh). I once played against Newport County (when they were in the National League) in a preseason game for Caerleon - we got stuffed 5-0 and it was an education!

Nice!

Newport gave a very good account of themselves from what I saw of the game. I thought the outcome was inevitable even after they equalised - they were always going to tire towards the end against top flight opposition - but they really made United work for it.

I'm a County fan from afar, having grown up not too far away but not gone to many games (I was a teenager when they were playing in Moreton in the Marsh).
Citoyen's post about Maidstone's idiot owner selling the ground without having planning permission for the new site reminded me of Bristol Rovers' ground troubles, ongoing since about 1985 (the latest iterations of this trouble included Sainsbury's and now work starting on a new stand without permission having been secured or even perimeter fencing completed), but at least they only went as far afield as Bath. Newport to Moreton in the Marsh is... quite a trek!
Moreton in the Marsh was when the original Newport County went bust and the fans set up a phoenix club. The FAW basically said "you want to play in the English pyramid, go play in England". Eventually, a group of clubs (ending up with just Newport, Colwyn Bay and Caernarfon Town) took the FAW all the way to the high court and won. The FAW case was really stupid, because they required all Welsh clubs to play in the League of Wales, unless they were in the Football League (I think it was just Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham). So if Wrexham, then in the bottom division, got relegated, in theory they would have to have quit the National League (then the Conference) and go play in the league of Wales!
Full details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymru_Premier#Formation

There were various issues with finding somewhere to play in Newport after they won (the original ground had been turned into a housing estate), so they played in a stadium on Spytty Lane (near where the velodrome is now) for a while before moving to Rodney Parade and sharing with the Dragons and Newport RFC. The pitch yesterday was astonishingly good, given it has rugbi and football played on it most weeks - it was an utter mud pit until new drainage was put in a year or 2 ago.

citoyen

There are a lot of parallels between what happened to Maidstone and Newport in the late 80s. Good to see both clubs back on their feet again but it's a stark reminder of how precarious life is for most lower league clubs.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
There are a lot of parallels between what happened to Maidstone and Newport in the late 80s. Good to see both clubs back on their feet again but it's a stark reminder of how precarious life is for most lower league clubs.

They are easy prey for nefarious oiks like Ron Martin (Southend United) who feign interest in football but have their eye on a big chunk of city centre real estate.

Cudzoziemiec

Moreton in the Marsh was when the original Newport County went bust and the fans set up a phoenix club. The FAW basically said "you want to play in the English pyramid, go play in England". Eventually, a group of clubs (ending up with just Newport, Colwyn Bay and Caernarfon Town) took the FAW all the way to the high court and won. The FAW case was really stupid, because they required all Welsh clubs to play in the League of Wales, unless they were in the Football League (I think it was just Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham). So if Wrexham, then in the bottom division, got relegated, in theory they would have to have quit the National League (then the Conference) and go play in the league of Wales!

There were various issues with finding somewhere to play in Newport after they won (the original ground had been turned into a housing estate), so they played in a stadium on Spytty Lane (near where the velodrome is now) for a while before moving to Rodney Parade and sharing with the Dragons and Newport RFC. The pitch yesterday was astonishingly good, given it has rugbi and football played on it most weeks - it was an utter mud pit until new drainage was put in a year or 2 ago.
And then there are English clubs in English leagues playing in, and even winning, the Welsh Cup.

And then there are English clubs in English leagues playing in, and even winning, the Welsh Cup.
Not since '95. Since 2012, only clubs playing in the Welsh league system can play in the Welsh Cup. You might argue TNS are based in England, but they play in the Welsh League.

Cudzoziemiec

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/06/manchester-city-are-in-annihilation-mode-the-double-treble-is-the-target
By Tuesday morning City were listed at 9-1 with the bookies not just to win the league, not just to win the double, or indeed the treble, but to win a first ever double-treble.
So what is the double-treble? I can only think of five competitions for City to win, not six; do they just mean the treble (or a treble) two years in a row?

Charity Shield
Global Club championship - or whatever it is called, for winners of the champions league and equivalents in south america etc.
Premiership
FA Cup
League Cup
Champions league

makes 6 which did you forget?  :P

citoyen

They won the Club World Cup in December but no one really counts that except fans of the club that wins it. Only the league, two domestic cups and European cup really matter. And they're already out of the League Cup.

The Community Shield isn't usually counted either, but in any case they lost that to Arsenal.

Cudzoziemiec

Charity Shield
Global Club championship - or whatever it is called, for winners of the champions league and equivalents in south america etc.
Premiership
FA Cup
League Cup
Champions league

makes 6 which did you forget?  :P
Charity Shield. I did remember the Club World Cup but dismissed it cos no one really pays any attention to it.

Cudzoziemiec

Anyway that still leaves the question – why not just say "the sextuple" or "the sixer" or something along those lines rather than "the double treble"? (I suppose because "treble" is already a thing and those are not.)

Especially if, as Citoyen points out (cos I don't keep up with these things), they can only win four this season? So I suppose it's just the treble two consecutive years (I'm assuming they trebled last year).

You might argue that they lost last years charity shield as you qualify by winning the premiership or FA cup in the previous season, the same case could be made for the club world cup.

citoyen

I suppose it's just the treble two consecutive years (I'm assuming they trebled last year).

Yes, exactly that. They won the League, FA Cup and European Cup last year and those are the same three they could potentially still win this year.

Cudzoziemiec

I suppose it's just the treble two consecutive years (I'm assuming they trebled last year).

Yes, exactly that. They won the League, FA Cup and European Cup last year and those are the same three they could potentially still win this year.
Clear. And definitely a double-treble rather than a sextuple (or whatever).

citoyen

You might argue that they lost last years charity shield as you qualify by winning the premiership or FA cup in the previous season, the same case could be made for the club world cup.

The Community Shield is traditionally regarded as the first match of the new season though. The fact that the participants "qualified" for it by winning trophies in the previous season doesn't change that. Likewise the CWC.

There's also the European Super Cup, held between last season's European Cup and Uefa Cup winners - Man City are the current holders after beating Sevilla back in August (that also counts as this season). So overall, they started the season with the potential to win seven trophies.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Is it my imagination, or are footballers much better at shooting from a distance than they used to be? I've watched a lot of highlights this season, and it seems to me that there are loads of very precisely taken goals from outside the penalty area, from a whole variety of players in lots of different teams. It seemed to be the case that, years ago, there were not that many players who had the kind of accuracy at a distance that seems to be commonplace today. I cite Rashford's goal and Foden's first from today's Manchester derby. When I were a yoof it seemed that such goals were the preserve of people like Bobby Charlton, Francis Lee and Peter Lorimer.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I have just learned from my younger son which football team is called the Eagle Owls, and why.

I didn't know that so looked it up.

I didn't have to look up why Sheffield Wednesday are called Sheffield Wednesday

(click to show/hide)

Fool!  ;D