Author Topic: Converting Bikely .gpx track to route?  (Read 10080 times)

Chris N

Converting Bikely .gpx track to route?
« on: 15 May, 2008, 02:13:17 pm »
Someone (Greenbank maybe?) posted a little how-to on converting the .gpx output from Bikely from a track to a route, but I can't find it.  Can anyone help me out?

Re: Converting Bikely .gpx track to route?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:15:48 pm »
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4.0

Is that it? GB's post down the page.

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:18:08 pm »
Not quite - that's how it used to be done, but now Bikely outputs a track file.  That has reminded me what I should be searching for though, thanks: trk.  Here it is:

No it's because the bikeley export saves it as waypts and a track.

>:( indeed, this has changed since I last exported anything from bikely. It always used to save as a route with routepoints (as in the excerpt I posted above).

Still, doesn't take much to fix it.

1) Delete everything from <trk> downwards

2) Add a </rte></gpx> at the end of the file.

3) Add in this before the first <wpt> tag:

<rte><name>SA400</name>

4) Search and replace "wpt" with "rtept"

5) Save.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:39:40 pm »
I've just found out that I can use a program called GPS babel to convert between lots of different formats. I am now able to load all my routes from Fugawi to Bikely for instance. Its a great freeware tool.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:40:38 pm »
You can do this with GPSBabel.
In GPSBabelGUI, click Filter, then tick the box for Transform, and choose track to route or whatever you want. And set the input and output formats to GPX.

Lovely.  Thanks Craig.  Now all I've got to do is rename all the points...

bikenerd

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:40:58 pm »
I'm midway through writing a Python program that converts a Bikely gpx route into an Edge compatible training (.tcx) file containing the course and another .gpx file that contains only the waypoints.  Would anyone else be interested in it when it's done?
(Edit: gpsBabel is a great tool but only supports v1 of the .tcx file.  The new version of Training Centre only supports v2 of the .tcx file.  I suppose I should really get the source code for gpsBabel and add tcx v2 support.)

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:44:04 pm »
(Edit: gpsBabel is a great tool but only supports v1 of the .tcx file.  The new version of Training Centre only supports v2 of the .tcx file.  I suppose I should really get the source code for gpsBabel and add tcx v2 support.)

If you've got the time you might also want to send details of tcx v2 to the gpsBabel author so that he/she can update gpsBabel to support the new format.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

bikenerd

« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:26:37 pm »
If you've got the time you might also want to send details of tcx v2 to the gpsBabel author so that he/she can update gpsBabel to support the new format.

Would it be acceptable to them to convert tracks->courses, as this is what my Python program does?
It'd be nice to plot a track in Bikely than download the course and waypoints to the Edge in one program, rather than using Training Centre to download the course and gpsBabel or Bobcat* to download the waypoints! :)
I don't know fully the .tcx format, it's another XML derived format.  The schema is available online, so I guess the gpsBabel team have access to it.  I shall have a look tonight!

*Mac version of Garmin's free route planning software.

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2008, 05:08:08 pm »
Wouldn't it be great if Bikely allowed you to name points as you create them?
Then you could creat a file with "pointn" "TL" as the name, instead of point 1, point2 etc..

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2008, 05:11:07 pm »
Then you could creat a file with "pointn" "TL" as the name, instead of point 1, point2 etc..

It can. Just make sure you're on the Draw tab (and have "Auto-follow the road" turned off).

Click on map to place a point and the text cursor should be flashing in the "Now In:" text box.
Just type in the name of the point and it'll be in the right place when you download the route/track.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Maladict

« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2008, 05:36:09 pm »
You can do this with GPSBabel.
In GPSBabelGUI, click Filter, then tick the box for Transform, and choose track to route or whatever you want. And set the input and output formats to GPX.

Lovely.  Thanks Craig.  Now all I've got to do is rename all the points...

My route with named points AND a track is complete up to monmouth.  I'll finish it off this evening.

Maladict

« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2008, 05:38:35 pm »
PS I use tracklogs.  I draw a track to follow the road manually and as I reach each turn I create a waypoint.  Then I transfer the file (via gpx format and gps utility) to mapsource where I select each section (ctrl->ctrl) and create a route using those points.

I find it much more flexible than using bikely.

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2008, 09:00:17 pm »

It can. Just make sure you're on the Draw tab (and have "Auto-follow the road" turned off).

Click on map to place a point and the text cursor should be flashing in the "Now In:" text box.
Just type in the name of the point and it'll be in the right place when you download the route/track.

D'oh!  I didn't know that - thanks Greenbank.  I'll just go back and start the file again...

My route with named points AND a track is complete up to monmouth.  I'll finish it off this evening.

Race you.

Maladict

« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2008, 09:37:45 pm »

D'oh!  I didn't know that - thanks Greenbank.  I'll just go back and start the file again...

Race you.

Done (as in, I finished it).

Chris N

« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:09:12 pm »

Done too.  Just got to load them onto my GPS at work tomorrow.  You want me to mail you the files?

Maladict

« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:15:15 pm »

Done too.  Just got to load them onto my GPS at work tomorrow.  You want me to mail you the files?

Probably not worth it now as I now have my own version which I am used to navigating by.

Thanks anyway.

Simon