Author Topic: Heart rate monitor?  (Read 929 times)

Heart rate monitor?
« on: 03 September, 2015, 01:28:05 pm »
I use an app on my phone to take my pulse - seems to be fairly accurate and the free version keeps the last 7 readings.

since starting on the beta blockers (for migraines) my pulse has dropped - used to be about 68-70, never got it below 62 even when very fit (i.e. young and able to run 10miles in an hour). Resting (first thing in morning, still in bed) pulse is now as low as 49. The leaflet with the Propananol says to tell doc if pulse drops to 50.

But I feel fine. Can't sustain intensity, but can roll along on bike ok, carry furniture (spent last two days helping daughter move flat). Not getting faint or anything like that.

MrsC is muttering about getting a heart monitor for me. I guess bad family history (mine) is making her paranoid.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Heart rate monitor?
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2015, 01:51:18 pm »
I think she'll know just fine if it stops, with or without a heart rate monitor!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: Heart rate monitor?
« Reply #2 on: 03 September, 2015, 07:59:20 pm »
I got prescribed beta blockers for migraine, half dose, but gave them to a pharmacist after reading about them and talking to doctors, nurses and cardiac technicians. TBH scared me so I decided to manage it another way.

I suspect it's just doing its job but since you don't need it for that job it's not what you want hence instructions to go back to gp if it goes below 50bpm. Suggest you visit your gp about it, at least the peace of mind.

From what I remember, for migraines the start you off on half strength then adjust as needed. Sounds like your dose needs adjusting. In my case the consultant had to lead the treatment because GPs can't prescribe beta blockers but can do repeat prescriptions. Whatever the case you tend to go through the gatekeeper, I mean gp.