Author Topic: Science that makes you cringe  (Read 53850 times)

Re: Science that makes you cringe
« Reply #375 on: 11 July, 2023, 10:58:17 am »
Seen on Facebook for GrownupsLinkedIn

powered by digital electricity

<boggle>

I wonder if they mean Power over Ethernet?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #376 on: 11 July, 2023, 11:31:51 am »
Seen on Facebook for GrownupsLinkedIn

powered by digital electricity

<boggle>

I wonder if they mean Power over Ethernet?

That would be "electric WiFi"

« Reply #377 on: 11 July, 2023, 11:32:37 am »
Two states: on (voles) and off (no voles).  Binary = digital as any fule kno.

True, but according to my Computer Science teacher it is never quite as tidy as that.  There's a problem with the instantaneosity factor. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #378 on: 11 July, 2023, 04:26:54 pm »
Blimey. Two points to Mr Charley. Digital Electricity does indeed appear to be A Thing and related to Power Over Ethernet.  Whether this is the stuff referenced in the LinkedIn article I don't know, as it's vanished from my feed.

Tortuous article here:

https://voltserver.com/digital-electricity/what-is-it/#:~:text=Digital%20Electricity%E2%84%A2%20qualifies%20to,deliver%20power%20to%20remote%20devices.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #379 on: 11 July, 2023, 04:39:50 pm »
I don't really deserve credit, as I was assuming it was a stupid marketing wonk name, technically wrong.

However

The technology leverages our patented packet energy transfer to deliver significant power over significant distances.  The technology splits energy into packets and transfers hundreds of packets each second from a Transmitter unit to a Receiver unit.

It is indeed digital power. Learn something new every day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #380 on: 11 July, 2023, 05:00:50 pm »
I don't really deserve credit, as I was assuming it was a stupid marketing wonk name, technically wrong.

However

The technology leverages our patented packet energy transfer to deliver significant power over significant distances.  The technology splits energy into packets and transfers hundreds of packets each second from a Transmitter unit to a Receiver unit.

It is indeed digital power. Learn something new every day.

Using leverage as a verb does indeed suggest marketing twats.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #381 on: 13 August, 2023, 09:31:01 pm »
Cudzo linked to an article on the best powerbank thread about a very light one. It contains this gem:

20k mAh

Can someone make it stop? Please?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #382 on: 13 August, 2023, 09:40:35 pm »
Cudzo linked to an article on the best powerbank thread about a very light one. It contains this gem:

20k mAh

Can someone make it stop? Please?
Yeah, I remember cringing a bit at that when I read it. I'm not sure I'd call it quite science, more the meeting point of arithmetic and grammar. Is it okay to say "20,000 mAh"? It kind of shouldn't be, but it is the norm and it's more easily understood than 20 Ah, simply through familiarity (in this context). But certainly the juxtaposition of kilo with milli does emphasize the incongruity.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #383 on: 14 August, 2023, 08:15:38 am »
Anyway, not keen on "k" masquerading as a unit, eg 200k (k£ or km).
Just an abbreviation for "thousand" though, so can't really complain.

« Reply #384 on: 14 August, 2023, 08:43:51 am »
On a related theme, is anybody else as irritated as I am by the common use of 'kW' for battery capacity and 'kWh' for charge rate (or even worse 'kW per hour'!  :facepalm:) whenever EVs get discussed?  It really makes my knuckles itch!   >:(
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #385 on: 14 August, 2023, 09:37:20 am »
On a related theme, is anybody else as irritated as I am by the common use of 'kW' for battery capacity and 'kWh' for charge rate (or even worse 'kW per hour'!  :facepalm:) whenever EVs get discussed?  It really makes my knuckles itch!   >:(

I haven't seen that. WTF is kWh charge rate?  Do they actually mean kWh per h (which would be, um, kW)?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #386 on: 14 August, 2023, 09:53:59 am »
Anyway, not keen on "k" masquerading as a unit, eg 200k (k£ or km).
Just an abbreviation for "thousand" though, so can't really complain.

Even worse is people using m as unit of miles.  You then get guff such as “Did a really long ride of 150m”…

« Reply #387 on: 14 August, 2023, 10:31:36 am »

I haven't seen that. WTF is kWh charge rate?  Do they actually mean kWh per h (which would be, um, kW)?
Yes, they mean kW. I can sort of see the reason for kWh / h, because electricity meters read in kWh (or units of electricity), and EV batteries are rated in kWh. Adding 50 kWh to a car battery will increase the reading on the meter by (about) 50 kWh, however fast it is done.

There is a lot incorrect use of units when it comes to EVs and power generation.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #388 on: 14 August, 2023, 11:10:15 am »

Yes, they mean kW. I can sort of see the reason for kWh / h, because electricity meters read in kWh (or units of electricity), and EV batteries are rated in kWh. Adding 50 kWh to a car battery will increase the reading on the meter by (about) 50 kWh, however fast it is done.

There is a lot incorrect use of units when it comes to EVs and power generation.

So what they want to say is:

This is a 50 kW charger, so in one hour it can add 50kWh to your battery.

Which is probably guff, as batteries don't charge in a linear fashion, but good enough for rough estimates "my 70kWh battery has about a third left, so that will take about 1hr at the charger"
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #389 on: 14 August, 2023, 12:03:50 pm »
My pet hate is appliance manufacturers quoting kWh/year.  I can see how you might find yourself working in them for running cost calculations (though it seems rather assumptive to use years as the basis rather than days[1] or months).  But for comparing efficiency we already have a standard unit: Watts.

It feels like, in an effort to avoid confusing people with the difference between rated power and average power, they've taught everyone to muddle energy and power.

[1] Pirate-ninjas are equally useful on Earth.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #390 on: 14 August, 2023, 02:21:20 pm »
Two states: on (voles) and off (no voles).  Binary = digital as any fule kno.

One of the solutions in Saturday's crossword was ELECTRONIC PIANO. But surely, I said to myself, it's an ELECTRIC PIANO?

A quick search of that internet they have these days revealed that an electronic piano and an electric piano are different things but both exist.

However, it seems the majority of people who sell/manufacture electronic pianos prefer to call them DIGITAL PIANOS.

Eh? Surely *all* pianos are digital?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #391 on: 14 August, 2023, 03:00:36 pm »
[…]
However, it seems the majority of people who sell/manufacture electronic pianos prefer to call them DIGITAL PIANOS.

Eh? Surely *all* pianos are digital?

I'm sure Jerry Lee Lewis had piano-playing techniques that didn’t involve fingers.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #392 on: 14 August, 2023, 05:10:11 pm »
'Digital' hasn't meant digital electronics for a good 20 years now.  It stopped meaning fingers well before that.

Hm, given that the modern meaning approximates to "the internet"[1], does that mean a DIGITAL PIANO is internet-of-shit compliant?

[1] As in "Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport", which is a fine example of  a) silly names  and  b) the importance of punctuation

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #393 on: 14 August, 2023, 06:16:01 pm »
They may be internet-of-shit compliant now but they weren’t in 2008: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Keyboard_Breaks:_Live_in_Chicago
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #394 on: 14 August, 2023, 06:31:48 pm »
It stopped meaning fingers well before that.

Clearly "the internet" has become the default meaning for most people but it hasn't ever stopped meaning fingers - doctors still use "digital rectal examination", for example, to mean sticking a finger up your bum.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #395 on: 14 August, 2023, 06:39:41 pm »
I'm sure there's some clever and determined limbless person who has taught themselves to play the piano by means of a stick attached to their chin, or similar.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #396 on: 14 August, 2023, 06:41:23 pm »
It feels like, in an effort to avoid confusing people with the difference between rated power and average power, they've taught everyone to muddle energy and power.

[1] Pirate-ninjas are equally useful on Earth.
I think I've only not been muddled on these during school physics lessons. Every mention of them now just adds a new dimension of confusion.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #397 on: 14 August, 2023, 08:20:07 pm »
It stopped meaning fingers well before that.

Clearly "the internet" has become the default meaning for most people but it hasn't ever stopped meaning fingers - doctors still use "digital rectal examination", for example, to mean sticking a finger up your bum.

And engineers still use "digital signal" to mean one with discrete values.

But if you ask J Random Person what digital means, they'll probably say "I dunno, apps and stuff"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #398 on: 14 August, 2023, 08:20:56 pm »
I'm sure there's some clever and determined limbless person who has taught themselves to play the piano by means of a stick attached to their chin, or similar.

Or some sort of eye-gaze MIDI controller...   :demon:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #399 on: 14 August, 2023, 09:50:09 pm »

I'm not sure it this is mere coincidence, but last night on the BBC they broadcast a recording of a prom from last week in which Felix Klieser, and armless German, played Mozart's 4th Horn Concerto using the toes of his left foot to operate the valves.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.