Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 232331 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1200 on: 11 January, 2017, 11:11:13 pm »
Surely bollocks are savoury?
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1201 on: 11 January, 2017, 11:15:57 pm »
Surely bollocks are savoury?
Surely bollocks are unsavoury?
 :sick:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1202 on: 12 January, 2017, 05:47:19 pm »
My usual roaster is on holiday post Christmas, so I bought a bag of "artisan" coffee from Waitrose. Espresso, expecting beans, so slightly surprised to find ground, but hey ho, maybe Waitrose put it in the wrong place on the shelf.

It was bloody undrinkable, worse than starbucks.  Harsh, burnt, metallic flavours in both espresso machine and cafetiere.  I left feedback on their website to that effect, including telling them that the rest of it was going to be composted.

Nice lady got in touch with me, wanted to know batch numbers ets and would take a look.

I later got a response from their QA manager, Rudy.

I have just read your email and it sounds like you purchased Revelation – Espresso grind which is a traditional dark roast for people who are into this type of flavour profile, use home espresso machines or percolators, and don’t have a grinder. By the sound of it you don’t belong to that crowd!

The way you describe your sensory experience is typical of dark roasts, bad luck wanted you to start on the wrong end of our range... If you like balanced and fruity coffees and have a grinder I would recommend Rwanda Maraba whole beans which is a medium-light roast, I can guarantee you will have a different experience.

On a side note, if you are into lighter roasts you might also want to visit our website to have a look at our single origins and micro-lots which are not available in supermarket. https://www.unionroasted.com/

I hope this helps. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch or even give me a ring if you have any question about our coffees.

Patronising b@$tard.  Assuming I hadn't intended to buy espresso in the first place, assuming I don't like strong coffee. I just don't like shit coffee.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1203 on: 12 January, 2017, 07:25:22 pm »
I think you know where First World Problems is, ElyDave.  ;)

« Reply #1204 on: 12 January, 2017, 11:37:24 pm »
The chrimbo stash pile has run out of savoury treats. All that is left is chocolate, toffee and biscuits.

Bollocks.

Crystallised and dipped in chocolate?  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1205 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:51:54 am »
Oi! New Zealand! If I want fruit juice, I'll buy fruit juice. If I want a drink that's "exciting" I'll go for Irn Bru. Who thought making wine like that was a good idea? Grow up, please.

For context, I'm off to NZ in a couple of weeks so made a visit to Majestic and spent a few bob on some decent bottles. I kind-of knew what to expect so disappointment would be a little disingenuous, but I really don't go a bundle on the NZ up-front-full-off-flavours style. I do wonder whether, like the Ozzie wine, the local growers create a range of wines that are unlike the euro-expectations and are rather good.

Maybe I should have looked for the 1st world problem thread.

« Reply #1206 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:58:41 am »
NZ white wine reminds me of the tea produced by a Nutrimatics drinks dispenser "almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea"
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1207 on: 02 February, 2017, 08:44:49 am »
A while back Mrs T bought a very chic set of balloon whisks with hefty steel handles.  When you use one in a bowl suited to the quantity of whatever you're mixing, the bloody handle hangs out so far that if you let go the trebuchet effect splatters the stuff three feet.  And our old, perfect, el cheapo wire whisks have disappeared into the dark depths of a cupboard somewhere.  :demon:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1208 on: 02 February, 2017, 11:40:25 am »
Our local Tesco appears to have removed Yorkshire Tea leaf tea from it's stock list  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1209 on: 02 February, 2017, 01:50:08 pm »
I noticed the same thing yesterday - and there was some abomination instead: Yorkshire 'Breaktime Tea' with Citrus, and 'Bedtime Tea' - decaf with herbs  :sick: :sick: :sick:  :hand:

« Reply #1210 on: 02 February, 2017, 03:53:26 pm »
I noticed the same thing yesterday - and there was some abomination instead: Yorkshire 'Breaktime Tea' with Citrus, and 'Bedtime Tea' - decaf with herbs  :sick: :sick: :sick:  :hand:

Oh yes, a several of "mucked about" (as my Yorkshire born and bred wife would say) teabagged versions were available.

ian

« Reply #1211 on: 19 March, 2017, 12:28:28 pm »
Apropos of the pizza thread and my annoyance that so many restaurants and takeaways can't get something so fucking simple right. Take pizza, make a basic dough, you don't need to fuck around with sourdough or exotic ingredients (and if you are, then at least figure out how to do a basic pizza first). The same dough as pasta is made from. Flatten it into something like a circle and make sure it's thin. Top with some chopped tomatoes (excess juice removed), oregano and olive oil, tear up some decent mozzarella (not that fucking grated yellow stuff). Whatever else takes your fancy. Stick in the hottest oven you can find for a few minutes until the dough just starts to blister and burn. Toss over some basil and another glug of olive oil if needed.

That's it. If you're going to sell pizzas master this first.

I periodically make the mistake of grabbing a pizza on my way home because I can't be bothered to cook and it's always foul. Mostly because the base always seems to be thick stodgy crust (if it declares 'thin crust' on the packaging it's a big fat lie for a big fat pizza) and the sauce on top has basically the same sweetness as jam. I'm not sure when it became a thing to put a couple of spoons of sugar in tomato sauce (it's not ketchup). Anyway, I end up throwing it away because it's inedible. Several weeks back I had the supremely dubious pleasure of meeting a Papa John pizza. Oh jesus, thick dank soggy dough, a random sprinkling of tasteless toppings. Oh the grounds the base was effectively inedible they'd provided a dipping sauce to try and disguise the fact. And it was BBQ sauce. For a pizza. How can you make something so simple so bad? Stop it.

Same yesterday, grabbed a cheese and ham panini while waiting for a train. Cheese and ham toasty. How difficult to put cheese and ham between some bread and toast it? Basically I ended up with a lump of soggy stodge. The cheese wasn't cheese, it was what appeared to be some kind of ersatz bechamel sauce. That had, of course, simple soaked into the bread because that's what happens when your put liquid on bread and is why we don't eat soup sandwiches. The ham really wasn't worth a pig dying over, it could have been anything with a vague slimy texture and no taste. To be honest, there was so little of it in there, it was hard to say. To cap it all, they really hadn't even bothered to toast it, just show it the grill, so I had the delight of a pallid, lukewarm, tasteless lump of damp bread. I ate half of it before giving up as it was just calories with no pleasure. I would have taken it back but I was already on the train.

You can't put ham and cheese in a bread and toast it. I don't expect much from a train station concourse concession, but seriously.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1212 on: 19 March, 2017, 04:30:31 pm »
For my last home pizza making session I took the usual carton of passata  (because I am lazy) and reduced it a bit more and used that on top. Seemed to work ok. I'm getting quite good at spinach and egg at home but it's a bit of a pain getting it back in the furnace without the egg going everywhere.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1213 on: 19 March, 2017, 04:39:20 pm »
I've not made pizza for a while, but the last two sessions, I used the "dry fry then grill" method. Gives pretty good results, certainly better that using the oven that only goes to 240C. Size obviously limited by the frying pan.

ian

« Reply #1214 on: 19 March, 2017, 04:53:08 pm »
For my last home pizza making session I took the usual carton of passata  (because I am lazy) and reduced it a bit more and used that on top. Seemed to work ok. I'm getting quite good at spinach and egg at home but it's a bit of a pain getting it back in the furnace without the egg going everywhere.

Put the pizza on the tray (I have a one with holes in it, less hassle than scraping it off the shelf) and then crack the egg in the middle is how I do it.

The mistake of thin, home-cooked pizza is too much/too wet topping.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1215 on: 19 March, 2017, 04:56:17 pm »
I have a stone which I only half use as the pizza initially goes in on a silicon sheet (cos it's too thin to handle otherwise).
For the eggy pizza I cook it for a few mins and then put the egg on cos the egg cooks faster than the pizza does and I like the yolk to be runny.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1216 on: 20 March, 2017, 11:09:11 am »

Put the pizza on the tray (I have a one with holes in it, less hassle than scraping it off the shelf) and then crack the egg in the middle is how I do it.

The mistake of thin, home-cooked pizza is too much/too wet topping.
Cheat and use a tortilla wrap. Works perfectly well and if you don't have an oven you can do them on a flat pan on a stove. even do a 'calzone' and if you are a sad gluten-free freak like me then you can get those Warburton flat wraps.

I did several on weekend, crack an egg on one, low heat, sprinkle of cheese, bit of pepper. Wait for egg to just start to cook through, then up  the heat and sprinkle a few more ingredients on. Crispy thin base, egg *just* cooked, excellent.

Then tried a 'calzone' version. Worked perfectly. Except that rest of family demanded them and I ended up stood over stove making another 3. Ok I was cheating and using a bit of cheese to 'seal' them but they still worked perfectly.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1217 on: 20 March, 2017, 11:28:27 am »
Same yesterday, grabbed a cheese and ham panini while waiting for a train.
Not a rant, just reminds me of something at the weekend. Audaxer walks into a cafe and asks for a cheese and ham toasty. "You want a panini?" inquires the proprietor.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #1218 on: 20 March, 2017, 04:40:38 pm »

I quite often put cheese and ham between two slices of bread and buzz it in the microwave for 40 seconds. The bread doesn't come out toasted - if I wanted that I'd put it in the toaster first - but it works perfectly well for a snack to eat sitting down. Don't know I'd want to eat it on the move, the cheese sometimes oozes out and falls on the plate.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

ian

« Reply #1219 on: 22 March, 2017, 07:45:01 am »
'Small plates.' Unless you're tapas, fuck off.

« Reply #1220 on: 22 March, 2017, 07:54:44 am »
Same yesterday, grabbed a cheese and ham panini while waiting for a train. Cheese and ham toasty. How difficult to put cheese and ham between some bread and toast it? Basically I ended up with a lump of soggy stodge. The cheese wasn't cheese, it was what appeared to be some kind of ersatz bechamel sauce. That had, of course, simple soaked into the bread because that's what happens when your put liquid on bread and is why we don't eat soup sandwiches. The ham really wasn't worth a pig dying over, it could have been anything with a vague slimy texture and no taste. To be honest, there was so little of it in there, it was hard to say. To cap it all, they really hadn't even bothered to toast it, just show it the grill, so I had the delight of a pallid, lukewarm, tasteless lump of damp bread. I ate half of it before giving up as it was just calories with no pleasure. I would have taken it back but I was already on the train.
When I wasn't yet even a poor penniless student oaf I was on the train on the way back from Swansea having wandered round the uni there. (That puts it at'79/'80.) I was hungry but almost potless, and very conscious that train food was crap. I held out all the way to about Reading when they announced that the buffet would soon close. I cracked and headed off for sustenance. Ha !  As if. I ordered a 'Toasted cheese sandwich'. It was so execrably disappointing that even as a spotty, shy and unconfrontational 18 year old I was compelled to take it back and complain. It was that bad.

The chap behind the counter (I'm not going to use any catering style identification for him) refused a refund, but I persisted on the grounds that what I had been given wasn't toasted. He explained the method by which this excrescence was produced. Two pieces of factory bread were toasted on one side, then placed in the fridge, When the order was taken a slice of cheese was placed on the untoasted side of a slice, and the second slice was placed on top with the toasted bit upwards. The whole lot was then microwaved for a minute or so.

My contention was that this wasn't a toasted cheese sandwich but instead a microwaved cheese sandwich. His supervisor got involved and I got my money back. I was still hungry though.

(And, other than in first class on the Eurostar, that was the last time I ever ordered food on a train.)
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #1221 on: 22 March, 2017, 08:09:40 am »
I think what most boggled me was that they'd put 'cheese' sauce on a sandwich (though the cheese component was undetectable). That's only permitted if it's cheez whiz and you're about to consume a canoe-sized Philly cheese steak. I mean, all they need to do was put actual cheese and ham between the bread and toast it till it melts. That's it. I had to throw away £2 worth of sandwich because it was frankly inedible.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1222 on: 19 April, 2017, 01:14:22 pm »
Missus produced "healthy" "bio" spinach, parmesan and pine nut tarts for lunch. Produced from freezer, that is.  There were exactly 7 pine nuts on mine, which was four more than she had. "Healthy" "bio" does not preclude "scam".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1223 on: 19 April, 2017, 08:29:38 pm »
'Nouvelle Cuisine' is French for 'dirty plate'...

« Reply #1224 on: 22 April, 2017, 04:56:49 pm »
The fucking waiter just visibly winced when I ordered a glass of red wine to go with seafood pizza! It's a pizza FFS, it's got blue cheese on it I'll drink whatever I like with it.

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.